Johnny Marr releases The Best of

Yes. But with all of his ‘success’, one of them will always be just Johnny Marr.

Having said that. I’m looking forward to this orchestral thing. Something some of us wished Morrissey would have done by now. Though I guess he feels he never needed to.
Quite! And my profound observation is that although I like Johnny Marr and enjoy seeing his concerts, he only ever seems to come truly alive when he sings the lyrics of Mr Steven P Morrissey.
Odd that. You'd think his own words would resonate more...

Quite! And my profound observation is that although I like Johnny Marr and enjoy seeing his concerts, he only ever seems to come truly alive when he sings the lyrics of Mr Steven P Morrissey.
Odd that. You'd think his own words would resonate more...

I think that’s you, not him. He looks plenty alive to me when he sings his own songs.

I think that’s you, not him. He looks plenty alive to me when he sings his own songs.

Or that may be you, not him. To someone else he doesn’t look alive when he sings his own songs.

Lets be honest, a Johnny Marr record compiling the 'best' bits of his solo career should probably be an EP.

Lets be honest, a Johnny Marr record compiling the 'best' bits of his solo career should probably be an EP.

Ridiculous. Have you even listened to it? Johnny's still on an upward trajectory and you all can't stand it.

It seems that there is a finite amount of combined commercial success that S Morrissey and J Marr are allowed..
When Morrissey had what was probably his biggest success to date in 2004, Marr had only recently released his commercially disastrous Healers nonsense.
With Marr now in 2023 achieving unprecedented success (airplay hits, career best sales, universal critical acclaim, selling out large venues etc), Morrissey's stock literally couldn't be any lower.
It just shows you how fickle the industry and the whole 'game' is, really. Five years before Quarry, Moz was unfashionable and past it at barely 40 and then he came roaring through again. Johnny's journey is even more unexpected, he was virtually forgotten before Modest Mouse and then something set a major fire in him out of the blue. I have been really surprised by how much Johnny has been able to keep up the 'momentum' of being solo, memoirs and guitar books and all. A strange, strange sight really.

It just shows you how fickle the industry and the whole 'game' is, really. Five years before Quarry, Moz was unfashionable and past it at barely 40 and then he came roaring through again. Johnny's journey is even more unexpected, he was virtually forgotten before Modest Mouse and then something set a major fire in him out of the blue.

I have been really surprised by how much Johnny has been able to keep up the 'momentum' of being solo, memoirs and guitar books and all. A strange, strange sight really.

Surprised? He’s healthy enough, and he loves doing what he’s doing. You make it sound like he’s accomplishing some impossible heroic feats. Lol.

Surprised? He’s healthy enough, and he loves doing what he’s doing. You make it sound like he’s accomplishing some impossible heroic feats. Lol.
I meant that I expected 'solo Johnny Marr' to be a flash in the pan thing, I didn't really think he could keep it going for a decade. And I never thought he would be writing books and playing on Bond soundtracks, that just seemed mad 10-15 years ago.

Some people just need songs they like. Some people need more. I am the latter. While there are some beautiful guitar melodies in some of these songs, nothing else stands out. His singing is rather uninspired and could be any ol' british guy who focuses too much on rhyming words than having something to say most of the time. I say kudos for Mr. Marr for his valiant efforts to get from under the shadow of The Smiths, but this compilation of his best work was just so "meh".

Some people just need songs they like. Some people need more. I am the latter. While there are some beautiful guitar melodies in some of these songs, nothing else stands out. His singing is rather uninspired and could be any ol' british guy who focuses too much on rhyming words than having something to say most of the time. I say kudos for Mr. Marr for his valiant efforts to get from under the shadow of The Smiths, but this compilation of his best work was just so "meh".

Have you listened to this album? Or do you just "know"?

I meant that I expected 'solo Johnny Marr' to be a flash in the pan thing, I didn't really think he could keep it going for a decade. And I never thought he would be writing books and playing on Bond soundtracks, that just seemed mad 10-15 years ago.

Yeah he kept at it, I’ll give you that. But he’s an optimistic guy, and played his cards right. Though let’s also remember that he does have a family to support and he knows it’s not going to last forever, so that can be a motive too. And I think what also comes into play is that this may simply be the right time for him. Maybe he’s clever enough to consciously make (to my ear) pretty safe music, and it seems to me, that more than ever, that’s what a lot of people want in these uncertain times.

Back
Top Bottom