Johnny Marr scores record deal ...

M

Michelle Fanzanio

someone has their shit together. you go johnny!
|
Former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has signed with iMusic, a division of ArtistDirect. His debut album under the deal will be from his band, Johnny Marr and the Healers, in January 2003. The group features Ringo Starr's son, Zak Starkey, on drums and Kula Shaker's Alonsa Bevan on bass. In a statement released Wednesday (July 31), Marr says, "I've been lucky enough to collaborate with people I respect and have really enjoyed all the records I've done. But there's things I want to do and a sound I want that I can only get with my own band." (Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna)

http://www.cdnow.com/cgibin/mserver/SID=1263523470/pagename=/RP/ALLSTAR/article.html/fid=334138

Gene is on this Label

FYI this is the same label Gene is on...a collaboration is possible...NOT...

> someone has their shit together. you go johnny!
> |
> Former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has signed with iMusic, a division of
> ArtistDirect. His debut album under the deal will be from his band, Johnny
> Marr and the Healers, in January 2003. The group features Ringo Starr's
> son, Zak Starkey, on drums and Kula Shaker's Alonsa Bevan on bass. In a
> statement released Wednesday (July 31), Marr says, "I've been lucky
> enough to collaborate with people I respect and have really enjoyed all
> the records I've done. But there's things I want to do and a sound I want
> that I can only get with my own band." (Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna)

>
> http://www.cdnow.com/cgibin/mserver/SID=1263523470/pagename=/RP/ALLSTAR/article.html/fid=334138

I heard that Joe Moss is managing Marr again, is this true? I thought he was managed by Ignition, the same people that manage Oasis. Or is Moss part of that group now? I'm confused.

Well, at least one of Morrissey/Marr has gotten his act together. Maybe this news will give Moz a kick in the rear, and we'll be hearing about a second record deal soon.

Matt

> I heard that Joe Moss is managing Marr again, is this true? I thought he
> was managed by Ignition, the same people that manage Oasis. Or is Moss
> part of that group now? I'm confused.

> Well, at least one of Morrissey/Marr has gotten his act together. Maybe
> this news will give Moz a kick in the rear, and we'll be hearing about a
> second record deal soon.

> Matt

Yes, Johnny's managed by Marcus Russell of Ignition. Joe Moss now manages Haven, who's debut album was produced by Johnny. Someone (another wellknown artist) close to Johnny, told me nearly 2 years ago that Johnny was looking for "a shitload of money" and that's the reason he didn't have a deal.

It looks like he's either held out or had to eventually drop his price. Either way it's good for us. BTW anyone hear his Bob Dylan cover on that free CD with Uncut magazine a few months ago. It was the best (solo) work he's done to date.