Longpigs vs Gene

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
I heard Olympian on the radio last night and I'd never heard it before, I definitely see the similarity to them and The Smiths it was a good song, but I do think The Longpigs are/were underrated, plus I'm a big Richard Hawley fan.

If I were to chose i'd go for The Longpigs...

Who do you prefer?!

I heard Olympian on the radio last night and I'd never heard it before, I definitely see the similarity to them and The Smiths it was a good song, but I do think The Longpigs are/were underrated, plus I'm a big Richard Hawley fan.

Who do you prefer?!

I can't really compare at all, as I'm not familiar with The Longpigs. Gene were one superb band, though. And Hawley is great too.

Between Gene and the Longpigs there is an elemental difference in my opinion. Gene were a great band, the Longpigs hardly more than mildly diverting.

Richard Hawley's solo stuff I find marvellous.

cheers

I'm not a big fan of either to be honest, the odd track I will listen to though.

Hawley's solo stuff is absolutely superb mind.

Even though the Longpigs have written one of my all time favourite songs to obsess over ("On & On") Gene win hands down for me. Great live band too, they should reform like everyone else...

Who do you prefer?!

the first time i ever heard Olympian... i thought it sounded like HoJo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fiba80YVyM

Last edited by a moderator:
'The Sun is Often Out' was one of the better albums from the britpop explosion of the mid-90s. Gene were good but a tad unimaginative.

Some of my favourite albums from that period 94-98 would be:

The Bends, Ok Computer - Radiohead
Different Class - Pulp
Second Coming - Stone Roses
Vauxhall and I, Southpaw Grammar - Morrissey
Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
Born To Quit - The Smoking Popes
Time Out of Mind- Bob Dylan
Slanted And Enchanted - Pavement
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
Maxinquaye - Tricky
Ladies and Gentleman We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualised
Dog Man Star - Suede

Nothing by the Longpigs, Gene, Marion or even the Manics makes it into my top records list.

Another great record from that era that I forgot to mention is Neil Young's 'Sleep With Angels.' It's different in tone and content to most of his other albums and a truly mature record. Fuelled, no doubt, by the experience of having had Cobain quote his lyrics in his suicide note.

really, it's hard to think of a more banal debate.
what next? Dodgy vs Space?
actually, I'm being a little disingenuous.
I did actually quite like a fair few Gene songs. here's their best 5.

We'll find our own way
Where are they now (eerily prophetic?)
I can't help myself
London, can you wait?
Please, be my guide.

Haha. Dodgy. "Good Enough" always seemed to sum them up, for me. Space weren't so bad. At least they were funny.

really, it's hard to think of a more banal debate.
what next? Dodgy vs Space?
actually, I'm being a little disingenuous.
I did actually quite like a fair few Gene songs. here's their best 5.

We'll find our own way
Where are they now (eerily prophetic?)
I can't help myself
London, can you wait?
Please, be my guide.

Dodgy and Space were shit though, that's the difference.

These have some credibility.

Longpigs all the time!

This song is brilliant! -

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jn_IPaS7GFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jn_IPaS7GFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom