Matt Greenhalgh Overrespects the Moz!

G

goinghome

Matt Greenhalgh was the screenwriter for the film 'Control' about Ian Curtis and Joy Division. Then he tackled John Lennon in 'Nowhere Boy'. He's too much in thrall to Morrissey to write about him objectively, he says.

"...“I don’t think it’s a good idea if you’re a big fan of the band or the subject to do a biopic, because you’d probably end up not having an objective view. I’ve seen writers who have been given a gig and been like, ‘Oh my god, this is my dream.’ I would never write something about Morrissey, because that would be my dream. Conflict equals drama, and if you can’t bring conflict to it… [sighs despairingly]...

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/how-to-write-a-music-biopic

Re: Matt Greenhalgh Overrespects the Moz!

I think he has a point. There are numerous examples. That film about Francis Bacon springs to mind.

Re: Matt Greenhalgh Overrespects the Moz!

A real pity. I thought he did a great job with Control. I'm not sure if Nowhere Boy is the one I'm thinking about, but if it is then he did a great job with the Lennon one too.

Matt Greenhalgh was the screenwriter for the film 'Control' about Ian Curtis and Joy Division. Then he tackled John Lennon in 'Nowhere Boy'. He's too much in thrall to Morrissey to write about him objectively, he says.

"...“I don’t think it’s a good idea if you’re a big fan of the band or the subject to do a biopic, because you’d probably end up not having an objective view. I’ve seen writers who have been given a gig and been like, ‘Oh my god, this is my dream.’ I would never write something about Morrissey, because that would be my dream. Conflict equals drama, and if you can’t bring conflict to it… [sighs despairingly]...

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/how-to-write-a-music-biopic

Is your original thread title intact, goinghome? :)

Is your original thread title intact, goinghome? :)

Boxes tick, save for your beloved 'thumbs up' signs clicked as thread icons. Here, we must get used to practising non-attachment, alongside social justice when necessary. ;)

Otherwise, they sailed into the sunset and they all lived happily ever after...:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom