Mike Joyce to play a 'Victorian Fairground Speedway Operator' in a new play!

Ha ha, top description, JJ. When the greasy haired worker spun the Waltzer carriage, it always pinned my neck against the dirty leather head rest. I'm sure they spun it more so it made us lose more money out of our jeans pockets. I bet there was a fortune down the side of those seats. I used to love the Speedway ride though. I always jumped on quick to try and get a bike on the outside lane. The Big Wheel was the real scarey one for me. It always stopped when I was at the bloody top. How that rusty wheel stayed intact for all those years is a mystery to me.

Yes yes yes I too would jump on to the Speedway ride as it slowed down.... (so you felt like you had a free ride;)) and wait for the person on the outside to get off so you could get on! I remember once trying to switch midway from outside to inside bike...... struggling vainly..... meanwhile the greasy haired bloke just walked round casually as if on a Sunday stroll......
I recall my most vivid memory was hanging around the spectators area whilst Bowie's ''Boys Keep Swinging'' was playing, and we tried to impress the girls by singing all the words:o
It was an epic fail:D

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Yes yes yes I too would jump on to the Speedway ride as it slowed down.... (so you felt like you had a free ride;)) and wait for the person on the outside to get off so you could get on! I remember once trying to switch midway from outside to inside bike...... struggling vainly..... meanwhile the greasy haired bloke just walked round casually as if on a Sunday stroll......
I recall my most vivid memory was hanging around the spectators area whilst Bowie's ''Boys Keep Swinging'' was playing, and we tried to impress the girls by singing all the words:o
It was an epic fail:D

Jukebox Jury
Jukebox Jury

Tee hee, I wonder if any of the greasy haired blokes came a cropper when they so cockily walked the Speedway boards while we hung on for dear life.
I'm sure Rusholme Ruffians is my fave Moz lyrics because they hit the nail right on the head. The air always hung heavy like a dulling wine at Debdale Park. I always legged it home before it got dark.
Nice one, JJ.

PS. Jeepster and Telegram Sam singing was my epic fail to impress the birds.

Tee hee, I wonder if any of the greasy haired blokes came a cropper when they so cockily walked the Speedway boards while we hung on for dear life.
I'm sure Rusholme Ruffians is my fave Moz lyrics because they hit the nail right on the head. The air always hung heavy like a dulling wine at Debdale Park. I always legged it home before it got dark.
Nice one, JJ.

PS. Jeepster and Telegram Sam singing was my epic fail to impress the birds.

I remember being on the dodgems, just after Elvis had died.... the Teddy Boys were crawling all over it..... I slammed into one of them..... and apologised as best I could..... and then spent the rest of the time trying to avoid crashing into them... and when they crashed into me.... I would be ''congratulating them'' on a great slam....:o
The Rubettes would be the soundtrack to the dodgems..... ''Juke Box Jive'' (oh the irony:D)

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom