Morrissey applied to join The Clash as drummer!

The Goat

Banned
I was flicking through a book on The Clash (cant remember name) in HMV and searched through the index to see if Morrissey / The Smiths were mentioned.
Morrissey was indeed mentioned and I checked the relevant page to find the following (though not as written, just from memory).
The band had advertised in the music press for a drummer and auditioned many, all unsuccessful. There was even a letter from someone called 'Morrissey from Manchester' applying - but we couldn't believe anyone 200 miles away could be into what we were into, so his letter went in the bin.

I haven't seen this anywhere unless I have missed it in the many books available. Also, this was around 1976 when Morrissey was not called 'Morrissey', but 'Steven'.

The Goat

I was flicking through a book on The Clash (cant remember name) in HMV and searched through the index to see if Morrissey / The Smiths were mentioned.
Morrissey was indeed mentioned and I checked the relevant page to find the following (though not as written, just from memory).
The band had advertised in the music press for a drummer and auditioned many, all unsuccessful. There was even a letter from someone called 'Morrissey from Manchester' applying - but we couldn't believe anyone 200 miles away could be into what we were into, so his letter went in the bin.

I haven't seen this anywhere unless I have missed it in the many books available. Also, this was around 1976 when Morrissey was not called 'Morrissey', but 'Steven'.

The Goat
There might have been a few Morrisseys in Manchester in the late 1970s...

Well, he once had a drum set, didn't he? Probably was him. He liked punk, and was a member of Slaughter and the Dogs for a while.
yeah, and Nosebleeds, too. He did try to play drums - unsuccessfully, and a few other instruments, but I don't know if he would have actually applied to be a drummer.

BTW when do you think he started calling himself just 'Morrissey'?

yeah, and Nosebleeds, too. He did try to play drums - unsuccessfully, and a few other instruments, but I don't know if he would have actually applied to be a drummer.

BTW when do you think he started calling himself just 'Morrissey'?
It was shortly after the Smiths formed. Apparently he suddenly told them all he wanted them to call him Morrissey after deciding Steve was "too blokey" and Steven was "too gay".

It was shortly after the Smiths formed. Apparently he suddenly told them all he wanted them to call him Morrissey after deciding Steve was "too blokey" and Steven was "too gay".
I don't think so, I am sure I read he insisted on calling himself 'Morrissey' even before that. Mike E.Smith allegedly liked to annoy him by calling him 'Steven' - nothing could upset him as much as that. :D

I don't think so, I am sure I read he insisted on calling himself 'Morrissey' even before that. Mike E.Smith allegedly liked to annoy him by calling him 'Steven' - nothing could upset him as much as that. :D

Yes, what A sweet chap Mark E Smith is.

mark_e_smith.jpg

Remember the Jonathon Ross interview that time?

Woss: "Can I call you Steven?"

Moz: "Er, no!"

f***in class!!!!!!!!

(Later)

Woss: "Can I be your friend?"

Moz: "No!"

WOW, what a man :D

Back
Top Bottom