Morrissey interview in The Phoenix / Boston

"At first you acknowledge that the artist's view is wider than your own, otherwise you would not be entranced by them.
The second stage is normal despondency because they haven't actually noticed you on a personal level.
The third stage is assassination.
It all amounts to a particularly poor form of love."

From the mind of Morrissey: on celebrity worship, his new book, and Boston - The Phoenix
By LUKE O'NEIL ​

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting interview as always, the man knows how to compose a lovely and intriguing thought. Dreadful caricature on the first page. :squiffy:

Re: Morrissey Interview, The Phoenix, 25 Sept 2012-

Bloody Hell, what a fascinating interview. I was going to buy the book anyway,with trepidation, but now i'm madly interested.
Just on the basis of this extraordinary piece I would expect the highest critical praise , but the man has made so many enemies that even now i can see knives , axes , swords etc, gleefully put to the grindstone.

Yes, he's very good with his fists . . . and I don't just mean as a drummer

Oo-er?

And This:

I have no interest in Boston's history. Just get me to a bar with an Internet jukebox. I'm not Richard the Third :lbf:

I have no idea who or what a Bristol Palin is. I assume it's Sarah's daughter?

This is brilliant.

"Accepting a Grammy is like accepting a voodoo doll...it will kill you". :lbf:

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on his stance that Bowie, Smith et al (and by extension, himself) are 'special' while the rest of us are just plebs.

Thanks, nice of you to say. Dream come true wasn't it?

As for the part about Bowie etc, obviously he was talking about himself by extension, right? I was kind of hoping to hear the opposite, something humble about the power of music and so on, but I guess he always been a big believe in the power of icons and idols.

As for the part about Bowie etc, obviously he was talking about himself by extension, right? I was kind of hoping to hear the opposite, something humble about the power of music and so on, but I guess he always been a big believe in the power of icons and idols.

It certainly read like you were trying to facilitate a humble response.

And all credit to you Luke but in effect Morrissey appears to have stopped giving interviews. He is now doing questionnaires.

As you rightly know, an interview would have allowed for a challenge to some of his responses.

No complaints about your efforts though. Well done.

Hey Lukeone, that bit kind of rankled with me aswell. But I have never heard anything particularly interesting or profound from Morrissey, apart from his music ofcourse!

Yes, he's very good with his fists . . . and I don't just mean as a drummer

Oo-er?

And This:

I have no interest in Boston's history. Just get me to a bar with an Internet jukebox. I'm not Richard the Third :lbf:

I have no idea who or what a Bristol Palin is. I assume it's Sarah's daughter?

Me and moz both on the bar thing. I drive my regular bar crazy sometimes with moz and other random music. Oh and bristol is sarah's daughter who very amusingly encourages abstinence while holding her child which she had out of wedlock. Her child has the misfortune of being named tripp.

Last edited:
It certainly read like you were trying to facilitate a humble response.

And all credit to you Luke but in effect Morrissey appears to have stopped giving interviews. He is now doing questionnaires.

As you rightly know, an interview would have allowed for a challenge to some of his responses.

No complaints about your efforts though. Well done.

Thanks, and true enough. I would have liked to have followed up by telling him what I thought of his supposed non-basic-humanity :p

Then again, here we all are...

Me and moz both on the bar thing. I drive my regular bar crazy sometimes with moz and other random music. Oh and bristol is sarah's daughter who very amusingly encourages abstinence while holding her child which she had out of wedlock. Her child has the misfortune of being named tripp.

Tripp? Ha Ha Ha. Tripp Palin, sounds like one of those gangsta rappers that are big in Alaska.

No, that would be me. Hello. I have to say I was really surprised at how great his answers turned out to be. I was expecting him to skip a lot of the questions and kind of phone it in.

Luke, if you can make the Boston aftershow party, let me know who you are on the night and I'll get you in on the guest list :)

Jukebox Jury
E17835D1-6A17-48EE-876C-A8800671094E-246-0000001886D48554.jpg

If he doesn't notice people on a personal level, how does he know that his views are wider than the person's and that the person acknowledges him for that reason? He cannot know, it is just an assumption. In my case it is wrong. I was first fascinated by him because he had apparently dealt with and been interested in the same topics I did so that I thought there was a familiarity, even though I did recognize some of his lines as quite screwed up and thought that somebody needs to make an album to counter his views. Of course this is not wanted in the narrow minded world of all of this: take it is as it is or f*** off. The amusing thing is that the people with this attitude claim that they love science. I did learn a lot in the process of the usage of manipulation techniques by other people, but not from him or them but because I took it as an incentive to dig further. In the process I lost my interest in his music and him but the way that manipulations are used is still very interesting.

"We remember your new drummer, the Bravery's Anthony Burulcich, from his days playing in local bands in Boston (including Mappari). How did you find him? Is he doing us proud? Yes, he's very good with his fists . . . and I don't just mean as a drummer..."

Hmmmm.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom