Morrissey's favorite books

• Thread starter Deleted member 31782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31782

it would be very interesting to find out which books Morrissey likes to reread, and if he has time to read now, what is he reading now?

Don't quote me, but I think he likes Oscar Wilde. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that it would be interesting to know what he’s into now, but how would we know? It’s not like he discusses stuff like that in interviews (anymore) or on Central.

I agree that it would be interesting to know what he’s into now, but how would we know? It’s not like he discusses stuff like that in interviews (anymore) or on Central.
A lack of reading is certainly possible given the lyrics we've been given lately.

A lack of reading is certainly possible given the lyrics we've been given lately.
Ah, yes. That could very well be the case!

right. but maybe he comes here sometimes for fun or to see what the fans are discussing. sometimes famous people communicate directly with their fans, he is also a person, albeit of the highest order, like all poets)

right. but maybe he comes here sometimes for fun or to see what the fans are discussing. sometimes famous people communicate directly with their fans, he is also a person, albeit of the highest order, like all poets)
Some think he stalks this place from time to time. If he does, he hasn’t revealed himself.

Books and authors scattered about here, but from 1988.
He's often mentioned others since in interviews and posts. Have a search : )

headful_of_heroes.jpg

''One evening there came into his soul the desire to fashion an image of The Pleasure that abideth for a Moment. And he went forth into the world to look for bronze. For he could only think in bronze.
But all the bronze of the whole world had disappeared, nor anywhere in the whole world was there any bronze to be found, save only the bronze of the image of The Sorrow that endureth for Ever.
Now this image he had himself, and with his own hands, fashioned, and had set it on the tomb of the one thing he had loved in life. On the tomb of the dead thing he had most loved had he set this image of his own fashioning, that it might serve as a sign of the love of man that dieth not, and a symbol of the sorrow of man that endureth for ever. And in the whole world there was no other bronze save the bronze of this image.
And he took the image he had fashioned, and set it in a great furnace, and gave it to the fire.
And out of the bronze of the image of The Sorrow that endureth for Ever he fashioned an image of The Pleasure that abideth for a Moment.''

Oscar Wilde ''The Artist''

beautiful?)

I haven't read it, but Morrissey recommended a book called 'The Strange Death of Europe' by Douglas Murray on Central.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strange_Death_of_Europe

Sonnet on the Massacre of the Christians in Bulgaria

CHRIST, dost thou live indeed? or are thy bones
Still straightened in their rock-hewn sepulchre?
And was thy Rising only dreamed by Her
Whose love of thee for all her sin atones?
For here the air is horrid with men’s groans,
The priests who call upon thy name are slain,
Dost thou not hear the bitter wail of pain
From those whose children lie upon the stones?
Come down, O Son of God! incestuous gloom
Curtains the land, and through the starless night
Over thy Cross the Crescent moon I see!
If thou in very truth didst burst the tomb
Come down, O Son of Man! and show thy might,
Lest Mahomet be crowned instead of Thee!

O.Wilde too

Sonnet on the Massacre of the Christians in Bulgaria
CHRIST, dost thou live indeed? or are thy bones
Still straightened in their rock-hewn sepulchre?
And was thy Rising only dreamed by Her
Whose love of thee for all her sin atones?
For here the air is horrid with men’s groans,
The priests who call upon thy name are slain,
Dost thou not hear the bitter wail of pain
From those whose children lie upon the stones?
Come down, O Son of God! incestuous gloom
Curtains the land, and through the starless night
Over thy Cross the Crescent moon I see!
If thou in very truth didst burst the tomb
Come down, O Son of Man! and show thy might,
Lest Mahomet be crowned instead of Thee!

O.Wilde too
Thanks for sharing, postwoman. I think most of Wilde's short poems were written as university exercises?

Graham Greene is an omitted literary influence I can think of. Another great info source is Morrissey's Autobiography which mentions poems or plays or films or novels every other page.

Thanks for sharing, postwoman. I think most of Wilde's short poems were written as university exercises?

Graham Greene is an omitted literary influence I can think of. Another great info source is Morrissey's Autobiography which mentions poems or plays or films or novels every other page.
thank you for your explanation, goinghome.
This one?

Attachments

• Autobiography_-_Morrissey.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

"to read or not to read" can also be a good essay?

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you guys know if these are compiled somewhere? I've seen the list of all the songs mentioned, but not sure of all the books, poems, movies mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom