Moz and The Clash

spleenhead

Yes, I am spleen
I can remember someone telling me once that Moz, around 1980, wrote to the Clash to ask if he could join their band. This instantly sounded ridiculous to me, and I've never read it anywhere else, not even in Rogan, which let's face it gives details on what he had for breakfast and how long it took to digest it.

Anyone else heard this claim?

It wasn't The Clash but the ur-Clash, the London SS, at the end of 1975. In the excellent "Punk Rock: An Oral History" by John Robb, Tony James briefly describes an odd correspondent from Manchester: "We got a tragic letter from Manchester-- from Morrissey! Manchester to us seemed like a million miles away. It would have been really strange if it had happened. Mick's probably still got the letter. He's such a hoarder."

Last edited:

Thanks, Kewpie. I totally missed this interview/that main page item in 2000. You can 'link' me anytime :D

I LOL'd!

It wasn't The Clash but the ur-Clash, the London SS, at the end of 1975. In the excellent "Punk Rock: An Oral History" by John Robb, Tony James briefly describes an odd correspondent from Manchester: "We got a tragic letter from Manchester-- from Morrissey! Manchester to us seemed like a million miles away. It would have been really strange if it had happened. Mick's probably still got the letter. He's such a hoarder."

Thanks, I just read a lot more than I thought I knew :) My heart's a flutter.

Moz solo, or "with" Strummer --or Mick!!!-- singing 'Can't Explain'?! I'd love my 'worlds to collide'! then stick a fork in me, I'm done :horny: :guitar: Fekn cool that Mick has the letter still.

Supposedly Mick and Moz were also members of the NY Dolls fan club.

I'm trying to imagine Morrissey on stage singing London Calling. Its a strange and interesting image. :) Glad it didn't happen though...we may never have had The Smiths. What a horrible thought.

I'm trying to imagine Morrissey on stage singing London Calling. Its a strange and interesting image. :) Glad it didn't happen though...we may never have had The Smiths. What a horrible thought.

And yet it would have been very Smiths-like in that Morrissey's guitarist/songwriting partner would have left him after a few years to pursue a career making mediocre dance music.

I tease.

Sort of. Electronic recorded some great songs but on the whole I think their record is a bit spotty...

Oh, my bad. I read your previous post like you were talking about Big Audio Dynamite.

All is well between us again :)

I'd like to hear him do Rudie Can't Fail.

Back
Top Bottom