Music Week: "Johnny Marr signs new worldwide album deal with BMG" (August 3, 2021)

and yes I agree he was always strange
just waiting patiently to bloom into something much stranger

1967 b-side ... The Plague

And by God, did he bloom!
The Plague! One of my favorite Scott songs from that era. Might be number 1. Look forward to hearing Kurtág. Love the title. Oh, and there was a Penderecki there as well - Thanks!

Last edited:
Marr is a realist and doesn't ask for big advances, I guess. So he's an easy prestige artist for a record company to sign.
I expect this is the crux of the difference. Marr maybe sells less, but we don't know the details of the deal - maybe BMG get a bigger slice of the pie? Johnny also seems like he'd be less of a headache to work with. I expect Morrissey is holding out for a big advance, plus will demand loads of promotion from the record company, and will likely slag them off in public anyway, going by previous history.

But there really is no need to be partisan about two articles who haven't worked together in 34 years. Good news for Johnny- hopefully Moz will find his own label soon.

I expect this is the crux of the difference. Marr maybe sells less, but we don't know the details of the deal - maybe BMG get a bigger slice of the pie? Johnny also seems like he'd be less of a headache to work with. I expect Morrissey is holding out for a big advance, plus will demand loads of promotion from the record company, and will likely slag them off in public anyway, going by previous history.

But there really is no need to be partisan about two articles who haven't worked together in 34 years. Good news for Johnny- hopefully Moz will find his own label soon.
Morrissey has said in an interview that he wants a big advance, so the record company will put all their effort into getting their money back.

As for Marr. it's clear that M wouldn't have a career without him. Before Johnny he lived with his mother, had no work and no connections to the music scene. So no matter how much vegancunt disses MJohnny, we wouldn't be here without him.

Well, one could only hope that BMG quietly resigns Morrissey too:)

I don’t think Morrissey’s music is the problem. Alain’s tunes are as safe as Johnny’s, and the same pretty much holds for the other co- writers. And this is not a criticism. But is any record company willing to release an album that takes its title from the MEN arena bombing ?

Record companies release a strew of pretty vile music from the "urban jungle". I don't see why not.

Morrissey has said in an interview that he wants a big advance, so the record company will put all their effort into getting their money back.

As for Marr. it's clear that M wouldn't have a career without him. Before Johnny he lived with his mother, had no work and no connections to the music scene. So no matter how much vegancunt disses MJohnny, we wouldn't be here without him.

Not strictly true....did have a few jobs and was in a punk band for a bit, was fan club pres for the NYD and was always trying to get into music journalism.

Not strictly true....did have a few jobs and was in a punk band for a bit, was fan club pres for the NYD and was always trying to get into music journalism.
@Eldritch said we wouldn’t be here without JM, which is true. We wouldn’t be sitting here gibbering about Moz if he had remained an obscure music journalist.

marr came to his door because of his music connections and his reputation as a person already trying and singing. Why don’t people think that morrissey brought Johnny to stardom. Lots of good guitarists don’t go anywhere because they don’t have a good ear for songs and can’t hear how there riffs and pieces would make a good song. Threw cemetery gates away and morrissey had to rearrange a lot of the parts to suit the melody. I’m not sure I’m convinced by white dice that Johnny was a musical savior

@Eldritch said we wouldn’t be here without JM, which is true. We wouldn’t be sitting here gibbering about Moz if he had remained an obscure music journalist.

True, Johnny Marr was the only person in Manchester that believed in Morrissey's talent. Johnny had the talent, ambition and youth to succeed. Morrissey was already a known quantity that people didn't take seriously any more, but Johnny did. He appreciated what Morrissey brought to the table. It's doubtful that Morrissey could ever have put a band together on his own or he would have in the two years after the Nosebleeds. How many knocks on the door by super-gifted musicians can one expect in a lifetime?

o_O
right. because :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: before meeting Moz was a music impresario burning up
the charts:anchor:
he would have moved on to a 15 yr old hooky:lbf:
instead of schnoggling dudes 45 min at a time🥰
:hammer:

he has got got a tour coming up,4 dates,the one in manchester is sold out but johnboy being the flyguy that he is has the courteeners in brackets underneath so it looks like marr is the main act.
I can’t say I’ve enjoyed much of Marr’s post-Electronic recorded work. But the last Marr gig I went to was much more enjoyable (and infinitely better value) than any of Morrissey’s recent concerts. Given I now inevitably attend gigs with my kids, if it was a toss-up between a Marr and a Morrissey concert, I’d be buying tickets for the former. No contest.

81pUVt0XuUL._SS400_.jpg

Does anyone think Marr signed with BMG because they dropped Morrissey? Or was that just a coincidence? Have they been on the same label since the split?

I can’t say I’ve enjoyed much of Marr’s post-Electronic recorded work. But the last Marr gig I went to was much more enjoyable (and infinitely better value) than any of Morrissey’s recent concerts. Given I now inevitably attend gigs with my kids, if it was a toss-up between a Marr and a Morrissey concert, I’d be buying tickets for the former. No contest.

Also a lot cheaper and at smaller venues.

Haven’t seen Marr (or listened to his music) since the Healers so I can’t really compare the two, but what soured you on Morrissey’s recent gigs?

Haven’t seen Marr (or listened to his music) since the Healers so I can’t really compare the two, but what soured you on Morrissey’s recent gigs?
All three of his albums are good. It’s guitar-based indie rock, so nothing too originak, but at least it’s from one of the Godfathers of the genre. They’re no masterpieces, but definitely worth your time.

All three of his albums are good. It’s guitar-based indie rock, so nothing too originak, but at least it’s from one of the Godfathers of the genre. They’re no masterpieces, but definitely worth your time.

I agree although Armatopia was a bit different and a great song

:(

JFC i had almost forgotten about that sucky antapioca song:mad:
you could take the kids to a :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: tiny gig as if you were
taking them to a frog pond:hammer:

I agree although Armatopia was a bit different and a great song
Haven’t heard that one in a good while. Need to give it a spin. I think Call the Comet is his best full length, though. Like Armatopia, it’s a bit left of center.

Would be great if Marr did some acoustic stuff like Back To The Old House, he needs to write some good stuff again like he did in The Smiths.

Not really.

Actually shouldn’t we be thanking
Steve Pomfret for introducing Marr to Morrissey?

So Pomfret is the real hero, if it wasn’t for Pomfret we wouldn’t have had The Smiths, Marr or Morrissey as they became known, and we also wouldn’t be here.

Tags
bmg johnny mar
Back
Top Bottom