NME: "Rick Astley tells us about his Glastonbury secret set of Smiths covers with Blossoms" (June 24, 2023)

Rick-Astley-and-Blossoms-Kentish-Town-Forum-13.9.21-c-Peter-Neill-1-1392x884.jpg

Astley on the reactions of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and what it means to play Glasto: "I know it’s sacrilege and they should hang the lot of us on the line for doing it, but I also just don’t care"

Rick Astley/Blossoms play Smiths set at Glastonbury

Straight leg baggy trousers. It's a strange outfit regardless.
They're flare-ish, and he wore similar to the 'Legend' premier and some similar jeans to some shows. But if they're straight legged baggys and not flares fair enough. They definitely dont suit him tho

I'm only watching bits and pieces of the Glastonbury coverage, but the entire thing seems to have become a gigantic exercise in collective/forced/corporate positivity.

Let's all be nice when Lewis Capaldi's obviously not well enough to finish his set. Let's all forgive Lana del Rey for showing up late.

Is this part of why the UK's such a mess? Is anyone up on stage ranting about how f***ed up the Tories are, and how the next Labour government is barely going to be any different? ("Oh hi, Keir, thanks so much for coming to my summer party" - Rupert Murdoch) And if they did, would the BBC even allow it to be aired?
and its been hijacked by the bbc to show even more coverage than usual,what gets me is some of the names,billy nomates,wet leg,has the singer pissed himself on stage one night and kept the name.
been saying it for years about being corporate,to show how corporate it is,you can get a mortgage when your at glastonbury.

and its been hijacked by the bbc to show even more coverage than usual,what gets me is some of the names,billy nomates,wet leg,has the singer pissed himself on stage one night and kept the name.
been saying it for years about being corporate,to show how corporate it is,you can get a mortgage when your at glastonbury.
Wet Leg are 2 girls.

A drunken women sat next to me on a bench the other day and said "You look like Rick Astley". I was offended at the time but now in happy haze of a drunken hour....maybe it's not so bad. I like Rick.

I take it that, as well as being drunk, she'd also left her glasses at home as well?

Mmm... I think you're probably reading too much into it.

He says the picture was taken at Morrissey's behest because he "would have never dared to ask" (cause he's too big a fan). Not sure what he means by saying he takes Moz thanks with a grain of salt, maybe that he thinks Morrissey's not actually happy about it, deep down? Not sure why he would imagine that, but it strikes me as insecurity??

I think it's likely that he takes it with a grain of salt because Rick seems to be a pretty humble guy. He doesn't believe Morrissey's thanks, not because he's ungrateful, but like you said, he's really insecure, and can't possibly believe that someone like Morrissey would actually value what he does.

An Aussie Dolly Parton is one of the performers protesting to Meta as a ban on impersonators threatens their careers

Dolly Parton lookalike competition was held in Kerry, Ireland this past weekend!

Johnny Marr was also at Glastonbury and guested with The Pretenders, as did Dave Grohl - https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...h-dave-grohl-and-johnny-marr/a2141394738.html

There's a current Hot Press story too about Marr's guitar being borrowed by Oasis - https://www.hotpress.com/culture/music-memorabilia-dealer-laurence-carpenter-on-oasis-blur-and-johnny-marr-22975218

Good for Rick Astley and Blossoms. Will this act evolve more yet?

Last edited:
Morrissey should do a Rick Astley karaoke set at Glastonbury next year. That would garner 'quite a lot of attention'...
Omg :lbf: He really should, and I would SO totally go. It would be so fun, and so funny!

Then it would all end in tears, when Rick sues everyone because all of our fun is infringing on his publicity!

If you want to make a cover of any song, you can just do it, right? I don’t believe you need any kind of permission?

It was good entertainment but unless I missed it... no tribute to Andy? You're playing the man's basslines and you don't even acknowledge his recent passing? Poor effort.

Morrissey wore flares? I must've missed that period :unsure:
You've clearly not seen his performance at the Nobel prize awards :ROFLMAO:

This just looks like a lot of fun, we know Morrissey enjoys this:flowers:.....but because some people enjoy being miserable:swear and that is why they are Morrissey fans, I guess......re-read the Rick Astley comments without that chip on your shoulder :drama:and see that Astley is being self deprecating:sweet:, he is not criticizing Morrissey. :rolleyes: :ahhh:

R Astley does not exist is a hard face, only two or three songs are known... he has no history of having been in a level band and does not have a solvent career like Morrissey's.
Ricky himself. He says it's wrong what he does..."They should hang us for what we do but I don't care." He's saying he doesn't give a damn and doesn't respect Johnny and Morrissey.
I didn't agree when Moz sent greetings and thanked Ricky Ast... And if I agree with Johnny.They make fortunes doing covers of The Smiths... it's immoral and disrespectable, on top of that Ricky says he doesn't care, because all he wants is money.... I don't think it's a bad thing for bands to pay homage to other bands, but it's not appropriate to make fortunes, because they're not the original band, there should be rules that only allow you to make up to a certain volume of money. And as much as it is allowed, it is not ethical for a singer to say that he admires a band and has this attitude. A disgusting Rick Astley and the blossoms that nobody knows.....:(:mad:

Esto parece muy divertido, sabemos que Morrissey disfruta esto :flores:... pero debido a que algunas personas disfrutan siendo miserables :jurar y es por eso que son fanáticos de Morrissey, supongo... vuelvan a leer los comentarios de Rick Astley. sin ese chip en su hombro :drama:y vea que Astley está siendo autocrítico :dulce:, no está criticando a Morrissey.:Rodar los ojos: :ahhh:
Rick Astley es un cara dura !!A mi me da asco ese tipo de gentuza.......

R Astley does not exist is a hard face, only two or three songs are known... he has no history of having been in a level band and does not have a solvent career like Morrissey's.
Ricky himself. He says it's wrong what he does..."They should hang us for what we do but I don't care." He's saying he doesn't give a damn and doesn't respect Johnny and Morrissey.
I didn't agree when Moz sent greetings and thanked Ricky Ast... And if I agree with Johnny.They make fortunes doing covers of The Smiths... it's immoral and disrespectable, on top of that Ricky says he doesn't care, because all he wants is money.... I don't think it's a bad thing for bands to pay homage to other bands, but it's not appropriate to make fortunes, because they're not the original band, there should be rules that only allow you to make up to a certain volume of money. And as much as it is allowed, it is not ethical for a singer to say that he admires a band and has this attitude. A disgusting Rick Astley and the blossoms that nobody knows.....:(:mad:

It's you who doesn't know who Rick Astley or Blossoms are, not the other way around. Just because you're ignorant about music and live under a rock, it doesn't mean the rest world is the same. Also, get your head out of your arse and stop being obtuse, on purpose - you can like more than one artist at a time. You don't have to exclusively listen to Morrissey. How old are you with that sort of sad attitude? 13? Grow up.

Rick Astley has sold around 40 million records worldwide, and there was a whole meme dedicated to Rick Astley (the "Rick Roll").

Blossoms are one of the most popular British bands in recent years, who seem to tour every year and still sell out gigs (e.g. their gig at Castlefield Bowl in Manchester is sold out). They're a massive success story, considering they're just normal lads from Stockport. Although I'm not a massive fan of their music, I have seen them live a few times (including with Rick Astley), and they are fantastic musicians, far better musicians than Morrissey's band, with all due respect to them.

Like Morrissey, both Rick Astley and Blossoms are northern. Wonderful stuff.

It's a homage, done probably more out of love than for money. And, Moz and Johnny get money out of it as well.

Given Barbarism was on the setlist I assume a tribute to Andy was supposed to have happened then. Rick was pure adrenaline though, and according to my watch it was 41C in that tent at one point. Obviously he’d already played a set at the hottest point of the day too. It was a shame it got missed but they played plenty of tribute to Rourke’s legacy through the gloriously played music.

Yes Rick missed some cues and flubbed the odd lyric and some of his antics were a bit cringey, but I loved the living f*** out of it. The only set I caught all festival where everyone there seemed to be fully onboard with the act in front of them. It’s no overstatement to say that this was the Elton, Grohl and Astley Glastonbury.

Btw Badly Drawn Boy worked “… and the day Andy Rourke died” into You Were Right, somewhere in this bit …

I
Remember doing nothing
On the night, Sinatra died
And the night, Jeff Buckley died
And the night, Kurt Cobain died
And the night, John Lennon died
I remember I stayed up
To watch the news with everyone

Eres quien no sabe quiénes son Rick Astley o Blossoms, no al revés. El hecho de que seas ignorante sobre la música y vivas debajo de una roca, no significa que el resto del mundo sea igual. Además, saca la cabeza de tu trasero y deja de ser obtuso a propósito: te puede gustar más de un artista a la vez. No tienes que escuchar exclusivamente a Morrissey. ¿Cuántos años tienes con ese tipo de actitud triste? 13? Crecer.

Rick Astley ha vendido alrededor de 40 millones de discos en todo el mundo, y hubo un meme completo dedicado a Rick Astley (el "Rick Roll").

Blossoms es una de las bandas británicas más populares de los últimos años, que parece que sale de gira todos los años y todavía se agotan las entradas (por ejemplo, su actuación en Castlefield Bowl en Manchester está agotada). Son una gran historia de éxito, considerando que son muchachos normales de Stockport.

Al igual que Morrissey, tanto Rick Astley como Blossoms son norteños. cosas maravillosas
De RA conozco 2 o 3 canciones... Y no me gustan, su voz en mi opinión es fea, no transmite nada y si vendió millones de discos para mí no es relevante. Me encantan Lawrence y Felt y creo que son geniales tanto como The Smiths..., y no vendieron ningún disco... Sin embargo, ¡los adoro!!!!! Son opiniones de una mujer del sur del planeta jaaaaa del sur... e Ignorante!!! Y déjame en paz y no me juzgues porque no me conoces. Deberías pedirle a tu doble cuántico que te enseñe a ser más respetuoso

Luxo:From R.A. I know 2 or 3 songs... And I don't like them, his voice in my opinion is ugly, it doesn't convey anything and if he sold millions of records for me it's not relevant. I love Lawrence and Felt and I think they're great as much as The Smiths..., and they didn't sell any records... However, I adore them!!!!! They are opinions of a woman from the south of the planet jaaaaaa from the south... and Ignorant!!! And leave me alone and don't judge me because you don't know me. You should ask your quantum double to teach you to be more respectful

Back
Top Bottom