NME: "Rick Astley tells us about his Glastonbury secret set of Smiths covers with Blossoms" (June 24, 2023)

Rick-Astley-and-Blossoms-Kentish-Town-Forum-13.9.21-c-Peter-Neill-1-1392x884.jpg

Astley on the reactions of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and what it means to play Glasto: "I know it’s sacrilege and they should hang the lot of us on the line for doing it, but I also just don’t care"

Rick Astley/Blossoms play Smiths set at Glastonbury

Luxo:From R.A. I know 2 or 3 songs... And I don't like them, his voice in my opinion is ugly, it doesn't convey anything and if he sold millions of records for me it's not relevant. I love Lawrence and Felt and I think they're great as much as The Smiths..., and they didn't sell any records... However, I adore them!!!!! They are opinions of a woman from the south of the planet jaaaaaa from the south... and Ignorant!!! And leave me alone and don't judge me because you don't know me. You should ask your quantum double to teach you to be more respectful

Ah, that's fine, as long as you're not projecting your own sad ignorance and pathetic sycophancy onto others like you were doing with the comment I had quoted.

Just try not being so dismissive of things that aren't Morrissey. It's quite sad, and there's far more to life and music than Morrissey.

The only reason?

Is she saying that The Smiths would've been just as successful if the records only contained Morrissey's acapella vocals as poetry readings? Seriously? 😆

Or is she claiming Morrissey wrote the bass-lines, guitar parts and drum patterns?

Or that the only reason people still remember The Smiths is because Morrissey has spent the last few decades as a karaoke 🎤 tribute to himself using the greatest hits of The Smiths such as 'How Soon Is Now' as the core and/encore climax of his solo live performances?

Since his one, brief genuine solo success era (You Are The Quarry) promoters have taken a punt on booking Morrissey gigs on the basis that they are, in fact, covertly marketing a legacy nostalgia act. And he's been complicit, is still complicit, in encouraging promoters to try to appropriate nostalgia for The Smiths to flog tickets for his solo shows as recent publicity proves.

Morrissey trades on the legacy of The Smiths as does Johnny Marr - and both of them, in turn, trade on the legacy of Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce even though they were exposed as having financially ripped their former collaborators off both for composition and performance royalties and incomes.

Watching Sir Elton John own the entire legacy of Glastonbury last night I wondered if a reformed version of The Smiths would've been invited to top the bill on the 2nd Stage, as Lana Del Rey disastrously did on Saturday night? They'd never have topped the Pyramid Stage without a new set of successful recordings.

I guess Morrissey-Marr could pose as The Smiths and do a good Sunday 'legends' turn in a few years if the cash starts to run out, but that would be as much karaoke nostalgia as Rick Astley, Cat Stevens, Dolly Parton or Elton John.

When Yusuf-Cat Stevens played the dreaded 'new material' he crashed the festival vibe just as Morrissey crashes the vibe of his live act when he veers too far from impersonating 'that singer in The Smiths'.

Nobody beyond the hardcore fan casualties like Fiona Dodwell and the 'NME ruined Morrissey' conspiracy theorists who gather here are interested in 'new material' from Morrissey, certainly not in 'terror trolling' bollocks like 'Bonfire Of Teenagers. Promoters know this, hence they try to diffuse his recent 'brand toxicity' by referencing his 40 entire year career rather than his recent insipid output.

Why isn't the forthcoming tour publicity highlighting that the set- list will focus on 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain', 'Bonfire Of Teenagers' and 'Without Music The World Dies'? Because if it did, ticket sales would stall.

Name the last three Elton John albums? I'll wait... Elton had a huge hit last year merging two classic songs from his 'hits era' and having Dua Lipa guest on backing vocals. Then he repeated the trick with Britney Spears with less success. If Morrissey wants a 'hit' he can mash-up a couple ofhis greatest hits with Miley Cyrus on backing vocals.

Even if Capitol Records deployed the gross annual GDP of Peru to promoting 'Bonfire Of Teenagers' it would still be just another installment in his decades-long 'flop era'. Both Elton John and Rick Astley were sometimes a bit 'Stars On 45' but that's what their ageing fanbase want as they cavort in the sun pretending, like Morrissey, that they're still young and radical.

FFS...Morrissey even uses photography from his prime to promote current touring publicity campaigns, yet another attempt to dupe 'clueless consumers' into parting with cash thinking they'll get 'greatest hits era' songs, not flops, obscurities and tiresome 'new material'.

Coming soon. Welcome to the 'Don't Bore Us. Get To The Greatest Hits 🎤 Karaoke Chorus' tour...

BB

Morrissey has announced plans for a tour celebrating the 40th anniversary of his music career.
The jaunt dubbed the ’40 Years Of Morrissey’ tour, will kick off in Mexico City on September 10 before calling at venues in Peru, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil.

From there, the former Smiths frontman will head to North America, performing several shows in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Washington DC and New York.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-announces-40-years-of-morrissey-anniversary-tour-3458675

R Astley does not exist is a hard face, only two or three songs are known... he has no history of having been in a level band and does not have a solvent career like Morrissey's.
Ricky himself. He says it's wrong what he does..."They should hang us for what we do but I don't care." He's saying he doesn't give a damn and doesn't respect Johnny and Morrissey.
I didn't agree when Moz sent greetings and thanked Ricky Ast... And if I agree with Johnny.They make fortunes doing covers of The Smiths... it's immoral and disrespectable, on top of that Ricky says he doesn't care, because all he wants is money.... I don't think it's a bad thing for bands to pay homage to other bands, but it's not appropriate to make fortunes, because they're not the original band, there should be rules that only allow you to make up to a certain volume of money. And as much as it is allowed, it is not ethical for a singer to say that he admires a band and has this attitude. A disgusting Rick Astley and the blossoms that nobody knows.....:(:mad:
Do you get just as upset when Morrissey covers other people's songs?

R Astley does not exist is a hard face, only two or three songs are known... he has no history of having been in a level band and does not have a solvent career like Morrissey's.
Ricky himself. He says it's wrong what he does..."They should hang us for what we do but I don't care." He's saying he doesn't give a damn and doesn't respect Johnny and Morrissey.
I didn't agree when Moz sent greetings and thanked Ricky Ast... And if I agree with Johnny.They make fortunes doing covers of The Smiths... it's immoral and disrespectable, on top of that Ricky says he doesn't care, because all he wants is money.... I don't think it's a bad thing for bands to pay homage to other bands, but it's not appropriate to make fortunes, because they're not the original band, there should be rules that only allow you to make up to a certain volume of money. And as much as it is allowed, it is not ethical for a singer to say that he admires a band and has this attitude. A disgusting Rick Astley and the blossoms that nobody knows.....:(:mad:

What an ignorant post. Both Rick and The Blossoms have highly successful careers in their own right. Blossoms have released 4 albums and 3 were no 1's, Rick has sold millions of albums all over the world and has a sold out arena tour on the way.

This was the crowd watching him earlier in the day when he played his own set.

1687785461709.jpeg

Last edited:
The only reason?

Is she saying that The Smiths would've been just as successful if the records only contained Morrissey's acapella vocals as poetry readings? Seriously? 😆

Or is she claiming Morrissey wrote the bass-lines, guitar parts and drum patterns?

Or that the only reason people still remember The Smiths is because Morrissey has spent the last few decades as a karaoke 🎤 tribute to himself using the greatest hits of The Smiths such as 'How Soon Is Now' as the core and/encore climax of his solo live performances?

Since his one, brief genuine solo success era (You Are The Quarry) promoters have taken a punt on booking Morrissey gigs on the basis that they are, in fact, covertly marketing a legacy nostalgia act. And he's been complicit, is still complicit, in encouraging promoters to try to appropriate nostalgia for The Smiths to flog tickets for his solo shows as recent publicity proves.

Morrissey trades on the legacy of The Smiths as does Johnny Marr - and both of them, in turn, trade on the legacy of Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce even though they were exposed as having financially ripped their former collaborators off both for composition and performance royalties and incomes.

Watching Sir Elton John own the entire legacy of Glastonbury last night I wondered if a reformed version of The Smiths would've been invited to top the bill on the 2nd Stage, as Lana Del Rey disastrously did on Saturday night? They'd never have topped the Pyramid Stage without a new set of successful recordings.

I guess Morrissey-Marr could pose as The Smiths and do a good Sunday 'legends' turn in a few years if the cash starts to run out, but that would be as much karaoke nostalgia as Rick Astley, Cat Stevens, Dolly Parton or Elton John.

When Yusuf-Cat Stevens played the dreaded 'new material' he crashed the festival vibe just as Morrissey crashes the vibe of his live act when he veers too far from impersonating 'that singer in The Smiths'.

Nobody beyond the hardcore fan casualties like Fiona Dodwell and the 'NME ruined Morrissey' conspiracy theorists who gather here are interested in 'new material' from Morrissey, certainly not in 'terror trolling' bollocks like 'Bonfire Of Teenagers. Promoters know this, hence they try to diffuse his recent 'brand toxicity' by referencing his 40 entire year career rather than his recent insipid output.

Why isn't the forthcoming tour publicity highlighting that the set- list will focus on 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain', 'Bonfire Of Teenagers' and 'Without Music The World Dies'? Because if it did, ticket sales would stall.

Name the last three Elton John albums? I'll wait... Elton had a huge hit last year merging two classic songs from his 'hits era' and having Dua Lipa guest on backing vocals. Then he repeated the trick with Britney Spears with less success. If Morrissey wants a 'hit' he can mash-up a couple ofhis greatest hits with Miley Cyrus on backing vocals.

Even if Capitol Records deployed the gross annual GDP of Peru to promoting 'Bonfire Of Teenagers' it would still be just another installment in his decades-long 'flop era'. Both Elton John and Rick Astley were sometimes a bit 'Stars On 45' but that's what their ageing fanbase want as they cavort in the sun pretending, like Morrissey, that they're still young and radical.

FFS...Morrissey even uses photography from his prime to promote current touring publicity campaigns, yet another attempt to dupe 'clueless consumers' into parting with cash thinking they'll get 'greatest hits era' songs, not flops, obscurities and tiresome 'new material'.

Coming soon. Welcome to the 'Don't Bore Us. Get To The Greatest Hits 🎤 Karaoke Chorus' tour...

BB

Morrissey has announced plans for a tour celebrating the 40th anniversary of his music career.
The jaunt dubbed the ’40 Years Of Morrissey’ tour, will kick off in Mexico City on September 10 before calling at venues in Peru, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil.

From there, the former Smiths frontman will head to North America, performing several shows in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Washington DC and New York.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-announces-40-years-of-morrissey-anniversary-tour-3458675
I think playing newer songs keeps the tour fresh and exciting. Also, I think he needs to sing what he wants or his heart wont be in it.

I think playing newer songs keeps the tour fresh and exciting. Also, I think he needs to sing what he wants or his heart wont be in it.
Fresh and exciting for whom? Himself and his hardcore fans? That's fine but then he can't expect to be given the press coverage he craves, because there's been negligible interest in his new music from the general public for the past two decades since 'You Are The Quarry'.

It's also one of the main reasons why music business corporations aren't offering him the deal he wants as they've monitored his declining audience over the same period.

BB

What an ignorant post. Both Rick and The Blossoms have highly successful careers in their own right. Blossoms have released 4 albums and 3 were no 1's, Rick has sold millions of albums all over the world and has a sold out arena tour on the way.

This was the crowd watching him earlier in the day when he played his own set.

View attachment 92319

understand what you’re getting at, and not discrediting Rick.

But where do audiences go if the don’t like an act in the Glastonbury situation? Seems like every act pretty much has a captive audience.

understand what you’re getting at, and not discrediting Rick.

But where do audiences go if the don’t like an act in the Glastonbury situation? Seems like every act pretty much has a captive audience.

Not sure what you mean, he's still a popular artist, selling out arenas and albums.

Not sure what you mean, he's still a popular artist, selling out arenas and albums.

In general, for all acts, where do audiences go if the don’t like an act in the Glastonbury situation? Seems like every act pretty much has a captive audience.

In general, for all acts, where do audiences go if the don’t like an act in the Glastonbury situation? Seems like every act pretty much has a captive audience.

Other stages or go for a wander around some of the more arty bits etc. There's lots to do it's a massive festival.

Other stages or go for a wander around some of the more arty bits etc. There's lots to do it's a massive festival.

Looking at that photo. It doesn’t seem like that would be the easiest thing, if not impossible to do.

One member noted, that one of the audience members was spotted bringing two buckets with her, when asked why? She said that they were her toilet.

'Rick Astley – is performing a set of songs by the Smiths accompanied by indie band Blossoms. The response is immediate euphoria, a mass singalong of such volume that it threatens to drown Astley out entirely, a sense that he’s not playing a gig so much as performing a public service in reclaiming the joy of the Smiths’ back catalogue for anyone put off by some of the more troubling pronouncements from the band’s former lead singer. He also looks as if he’s having the time of his life doing it: stopping the sets to drink “a snifter” with his backing band, literally miming hanging someone during Panic, flailing the microphone lead around in an affectionate impersonation of Morrissey. The fact that there’s an enormous inflatable sausage being batted around the crowd – something you suspect would cause the notoriously meat-opposing Morrissey to abandon the gig at a stroke – only seems to add to the dizzy enjoyment.'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...urday-and-a-mystery-act-that-surprised-no-one

Coincido con vos absolutamente !!!Moz Fan!!!(y):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
¿Es Rick Astley un idiota real o estoy leyendo demasiado en sus palabras en el artículo de NME?

Johnny Marr no tomó bien sus conciertos de versiones de los Smiths, pero está bien.

Morrissey les agradeció por hacer lo mismo, pero... ¿Toma el reconocimiento de Moz con cautela?

¿Su foto con Morrissey fue tomada a instancias de M?

Cobarde, idiota desagradecido.

Hoy en día, parece que nadie en el Reino Unido puede decir cosas buenas sobre Morrissey sin un pero al final de la entrevista.

Sr. Astley, The Smiths es principalmente Morrissey. Si te beneficia cantar sus palabras, ¡lo menos que puedes hacer es mostrar algo de respeto!
Cido

'Rick Astley – is performing a set of songs by the Smiths accompanied by indie band Blossoms. The response is immediate euphoria, a mass singalong of such volume that it threatens to drown Astley out entirely, a sense that he’s not playing a gig so much as performing a public service in reclaiming the joy of the Smiths’ back catalogue for anyone put off by some of the more troubling pronouncements from the band’s former lead singer. He also looks as if he’s having the time of his life doing it: stopping the sets to drink “a snifter” with his backing band, literally miming hanging someone during Panic, flailing the microphone lead around in an affectionate impersonation of Morrissey. The fact that there’s an enormous inflatable sausage being batted around the crowd – something you suspect would cause the notoriously meat-opposing Morrissey to abandon the gig at a stroke – only seems to add to the dizzy enjoyment.'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...urday-and-a-mystery-act-that-surprised-no-one
Afectuosa .........patetico ricky

The Guardian obviously would like Morrissey much more if he was ‘not so vegetarian’ or would play the game by letting anyone sing along in a greatest hits set.
And some fans here would, too, it seems.

Strange, as Morrissey has never been like this and never will.

Ok, I watched it. This is a really mixed bag, it’s kind of like being stuck in between two different realms. Here is what I think. I think you really can’t fault the kids in the band, and i think you can’t fault the enthusiasm here, on either side - Rick’s or the Blossoms. This project is clearly a labor of love, and the thing is, if you ever in your life even for 5 seconds loved these songs and felt their magic and loved the Smiths and loved Morrissey, you kind of can’t ever begrudge anyone else also loving them, let alone coming on stage with the attitude that these are the best songs ever. Because they are.

But it is DEFINITELY karaoke night, and @BrummieBoy, omfg LOL! I thought you were joking when you said he also did a Harry Styles karaoke. Again - done with what comes across as such a sincere good mood and with such positivity that you really feel like you can’t fault someone for having fun - but also not better than or an improvement on the original.

I read he also covered AC/DC and Aha, but I didn’t see those. Which brings me to my next point - ultimately, these guys all want to be on stage. And if other people’s songs are going to go down better than their own, they are clearly all fine with headlining karaoke night. Part of the reason this works, is because karaoke night with your friends, by definition, is supposed to be fun and funny, and all about your favorite songs and about having fun with them, and any imperfections or super enthusiastic takes just make it even more fun, or even funnier if you’re a part of it. I think this is kind of like that.

Where it gets weird and makes me feel like this is some kind of no man’s land in between two different realms of existence, is the fact that, hello? Glastonbury is not about karaoke night, and ALSO, it is just still going to be kind of weird no matter HOW much fun they’re having or whatever, if Des’ree is on stage belting out Whitney’s best songs, while ummm, also hello? Whitney is also still singing her own songs and sorry but facts are facts - not a PATCH on the original here.

Nuevamente, lo llamé "una bolsa mixta" simplemente por la cantidad de cosas diferentes que están sucediendo aquí a la vez. No se supone que sea un parche en el original. Se vende como un fan karaoke donde el fan también tuvo sus propios 15 minutos en el centro de atención y todo el asunto del karaoke; funciona simplemente por lo profundamente queridas que son las canciones de Smiths. Tanto por los artistas como por el público.

El amor por estas canciones es verdaderamente inmortal, y la gente se emocionará mucho con el karaoke de Smiths en Glastonbury en lugar de con el real, porque las canciones de Smiths son la luz que nunca se apagará.

Nunca me atraparás en una de estas audiencias, pero eso es solo porque no follo sin Des'ree.

¿Qué dice siempre el cartel del médico con el traductor de Google de S América?

¿Te amo Mozuchis? ¿Mozzukiss?

No puedo recordar, pero es súper divertido, ¡y es tan bueno! ¡Así que yo también !;) ❤️
Dice:: Te amo Mozuchissss and Mozulissss !!!!

Back
Top Bottom