Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

Yes, you are right. I apologise. All Morrissey's lyrics, past present and future, are wonderful, and beyond criticism.
Maybe a moderator could lock this thread, as we have nothing to discuss now, or indeed, ever? ;)

You can't even fathom registering an account never mind writing a lyric. Carry on critiquing though...

There are lyrics I like, lyrics I don't but if I can't do better I'm not calling something shit.

Last edited:
Lyricially, You are the Quarry is Morrissey's nadir. The World is Full of Crashing Bores epitomises how unpleasant and bitter he had become by this point.

You must be wondering how
The boy next door turned out
Have a care, but don't stare
Because he's still there
Lamenting policewomen, policemen
Silly women, taxmen, uniformed whores
They who wish to hurt you
Work within the law

To make matters worse, they're absolute crap too. The tune is garbage too, which goes for most of the album. I don't understand why people waste their energy slating WP when this is the real turkey.

Perhaps, but at least Quarry had tunes, while World Peace does not. Also, many lyrics, when removed from the music, sound odd, but usually when placed alongside fit to form a cohesive and pleasant whole. That doesn't happen anywhere near enough on World Peace.

I'm sure even more people could tell you how the police have helped them, and as I said imagine the anarchy without the police. If you know better, maybe you can explain why he is complaining about taxmen? Or women?

You don't know why the lyrics are bad? I only had to hear them to tell. They're just horribly written. It's like if someone is wearing a horrific jumper, it just stands out.

i guess my point is that if you know so much about why there bad explaining should be easy. as someone who makes statements and judgments, which is fine, you should explain why and it should be esasy for you. people who dont arent really interested in discussion only agreement and the reassurance of consensus imo. sure police help some peope but the problem is there supposed to help everyone and that matters to me. look at the nypds refusal to issue any ticket on the new years. basically you have a police department that says if we cant be independent operators, paid for with tax money, we wont follow orders and just use your tax money to be paid and well work to protect people only when we feel like it. thats a dangerous precedent for a civil society and one im angry about. not to mention mine and many peoples very negative encounters with them. people from all walks of economic life have mostly very negative things to say about police interaction. hes writing about issues that are very relevant to the world and people in many countries including mine. in the end its gonna be a matter of actually looking at the words he saying like when you turned a question insinuation into a statement. where does he say i dont think people should pay taxes. show me the line if you can.

Perhaps, but at least Quarry had tunes, while World Peace does not. Also, many lyrics, when removed from the music, sound odd, but usually when placed alongside fit to form a cohesive and pleasant whole. That doesn't happen anywhere near enough on World Peace.

With regards to tunes I find Quarry sadly lacking, but the production is even more horrible. World Peace is much better in both regards in my opinion.

If you leave the individual assessments of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' music - which will always be a matter of taste and not a debate that will sway anyone:
Quarry has to be taken with all the factors around it. The man was on hiatus and it was the first new music in a long time. He supported the album on TV and was very visable. Videos came of the singles. There were lots of variations in physical releases to please collectors and lots of b sides. IBEH and FOTGTD became well received on the set list. The atmosphere at the 2 Royal Albert Hall gigs I attended attested to this. The reviews at the time (live and recorded) were more than good too.
I think, with the right support from the outset, that World Peace could of had the same potential. Unfortunately, it feels a little marginalised by its lacklustre presentation to the world although I do enjoy listening to it in its entirety, but not as much as Quarry.
Regards,
FWD

Re: Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

If you leave the individual assessments of what constitutes 'good' or 'bad' music - which will always be a matter of taste and not a debate that will sway anyone:
Quarry has to be taken with all the factors around it. The man was on hiatus and it was the first new music in a long time. He supported the album on TV and was very visable. Videos came of the singles. There were lots of variations in physical releases to please collectors and lots of b sides. IBEH and FOTGTD became well received on the set list. The atmosphere at the 2 Royal Albert Hall gigs I attended attested to this. The reviews at the time (live and recorded) were more than good too.
I think, with the right support from the outset, that World Peace could of had the same potential. Unfortunately, it feels a little marginalised by its lacklustre presentation to the world although I do enjoy listening to it in its entirety, but not as much as Quarry.
Regards,
FWD

Everything you say is true, apart from the opinion that the albums are fairly even. Everyone has a different opinion. I think more people like Quarry than World Peace, because it is more glitzy and everything is very easy to understand and the arrangements are very simple. The cover is marginally better too. Though neither is good.

- - - Updated - - -

World Peace is bloody awful, lyrically and musically.

Wow, that's exactly how I feel about Quarry. But you forgot to mention the unbearable production.

i guess my point is that if you know so much about why there bad explaining should be easy. as someone who makes statements and judgments, which is fine, you should explain why and it should be esasy for you. people who dont arent really interested in discussion only agreement and the reassurance of consensus imo. sure police help some peope but the problem is there supposed to help everyone and that matters to me. look at the nypds refusal to issue any ticket on the new years. basically you have a police department that says if we cant be independent operators, paid for with tax money, we wont follow orders and just use your tax money to be paid and well work to protect people only when we feel like it. thats a dangerous precedent for a civil society and one im angry about. not to mention mine and many peoples very negative encounters with them. people from all walks of economic life have mostly very negative things to say about police interaction. hes writing about issues that are very relevant to the world and people in many countries including mine. in the end its gonna be a matter of actually looking at the words he saying like when you turned a question insinuation into a statement. where does he say i dont think people should pay taxes. show me the line if you can.

So where would we be without the police?

I asked you explain why he is complaining about taxmen. or women. You didn't.

To actually feel that a Morrissey album is bloody awful is completely alien to me. There's so much music out there that deserve that kind of slagging off and it's not Morrisseys music.

To actually feel that a Morrissey album is bloody awful is completely alien to me. There's so much music out there that deserve that kind of slagging off and it's not Morrisseys music.

Actually a few a months ago I put on Live at Earl's Court but had to turn it off half way through. I am a great fan of Morrissey, but not all of his music agrees with me.

First I do want police but a person who can't follow orders isn't a police officer theyre a rouge agent and I don't want a department full of that. Morrissey also didn't say to not pay taxes, if so show me the line from the song. I also did mention taxes and that I don't want to pay them without question. I mentioned the frustration of police officers being paid by my taxes when they don't follow the law or there oath of service. I'm paying to be abused and I don't get a choice. Taxes are mentiones if you read again.

Actually a few a months ago I put on Live at Earl's Court but had to turn it off half way through. I am a great fan of Morrissey, but not all of his music agrees with me.

I can understand that, but these strong feelings of contempt just seem so strange... I mean, it's Moz. Not Ed Sheeran or something off of American Idol.

In a way I suppose it makes it worse. I don't like Ed Sheeran, so I can just ignore him.

But Moz at his worst isn't anywhere near the utter shite one can hear on the radio. None of you can honestly believe that.

But Moz at his worst isn't anywhere near the utter shite one can hear on the radio. None of you can honestly believe that.

I'm not gonna compare but to me south paw, the original press, is almost unlistenable a few songs aside.

I think Southpaw is brilliant. The alien in the Moz discography. The album I find to be the weakest is probably ROTT or perhaps Kill Uncle, but both of them have indispensable songs.

Ringleader is number two of the worst for but that's down to the weird production

Ringleader is number two of the worst for but that's down to the weird production

Has anyone else had it on their iplayer with it on shuffle? It's about 3 times as loud as anything else, very disconcerting. I believe there was something called the loudness wars around this time?

If we are talking worst output, well it's Maladjusted and Kill Uncle for me. And if we are talking tuneless, you cannot look past Maladjusted as an opener. Kill Uncle was imho just a bit twee...but then, that's what I thought of some parts of TQID, especially Frankly... The humour was there, but just a bit too much. Quarry had strong singles, but the production didn't work...Crashing Bores was played too slowly compared to the live shows of 2002, and You Know I Couldn't Last was just awful. I don't know why, but as things stand, if I take WPINOYB out of the player and put another Moz LP in, even Vauxhall...WP goes back in quite soon. It just works.

Back
Top Bottom