Official Manager Statement regarding Morrissey’s health (January 26, 2024)

D6F4A7EB-137A-4C94-842C-C316837ACEA1.jpeg

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is known about whether or not Morrissey has an alcohol problem - it's all just internet speculation based in anecdotal evidence. That's an indisputable fact. On the other hand, 'tired' is usually a euphemism for a more serious problem with famous folks/public figures. But at Morrissey's age, that problem could be anything - he did have cancer have a few years ago, did he not? In the end, we're all just idly speculating and gossiping, because we enjoy doing it.

Nothing is known about whether or not Morrissey has an alcohol problem - it's all just internet speculation based in anecdotal evidence. That's an indisputable fact. On the other hand, 'tired' is usually a euphemism for a more serious problem with famous folks/public figures. But at Morrissey's age, that problem could be anything - he did have cancer have a few years ago, did he not? In the end, we're all just idly speculating and gossiping, because we enjoy doing it.
"It's all speculation"..."That's an indisputable fact"

Love the accuracy of language here.

There was the incident on the plane last year. There was Noel's comment about Morrissey throwing down a pint of vodka. Is there more than that? Sure, there's lots of erratic behavior that could cause some to wonder if it's alcohol-fueled... but as outsiders can we say it's fact?

I don't have an opinion either way.

This speculation that Morrissey has a drinking problem has been going on - on this forum - for about 15 years now. I think it does explain a lot of things. It doesn't excuse him, but the other explanation is callous indifference, take your pick.

For once, he is actually ill. He has suffered a breakdown and is undergoing treatment.

Believe me, don’t believe me, I don’t care.

A strange series of events:
Jan 6th The death of Mike Hinc (part of the Smith inner circle) - Morrissey posts a heartfelt tribute on Central.
Jan 11th Morrissey post a section of "conversation" which occurred in 2023 in which he complaints about being deleted as the central essence of the Smiths. It is unclear what prompted this message, Some have speculated that Marr may be planning to play Smiths albums live with another singer in Morrissey's place.
Jan 14th Morrissey posts on Central to say he is "doing nothing" but seems to be looking well in Paris France.
Jan 16th Mike Hinc's funeral is held in Carcassonne in France. One assumes that Morrissey attended. One also assumes that other members of the Smiths inner circle were present.
25th of Jan Morrissey posts a tribute following the death of Melanie Safka
26th of Jan All planned concerts cancelled and announcement that Morrissey is exhausted and recovering in Zurich.
There are unconfirmed rumors of poor ticket sales.

Last edited:
Not unconfirmed. You could look on Ticketmaster and see that half the tickets were still available.
Everything else, including speculation about Morrissey's health, is just a smokescreen. The shows didn't go ahead because not enough tickets were sold. Simple as.

For once, he is actually ill. He has suffered a breakdown and is undergoing treatment.

Believe me, don’t believe me, I don’t care.
I’m not shocked by this. I think it probably started when his mother died. He really hasn’t had it easy through the past couple of years and I think he’s just collapsed under a mountain of misfortune and pain from fighting all of it.

If Marr is planning a Smiths tour without Morrissey, then that’s just ridiculous. No one can sing those songs except Morrissey. Otherwise, they mean nothing. Those are his words, his lyrics, and it’s just not the same when someone else is singing them - including Marr himself. Yes, they’re his songs as much as they are Morrissey’s, but in a different way. Does he think he’s the reason why the Smiths are such an iconic band? If so, he has another thing coming because if Morrissey had decided not to be apart of the Smiths, they would never have made a difference. That is fact.

As far as alcohol goes…I don’t think Morrissey is an alcoholic. With Barrettes AND also being a heavy drinker, his voice would be shot, and his voice is crisp and smooth and more beautiful than it’s ever been. He may drink more than he should, but he’s not an alcoholic.

I hope he’s okay.

Well, I’m sad and I feel bad. 😔

Jan 6th The death of Mike Hinc (part of the Smith inner circle) - Morrissey posts a heartfelt tribute on Central.
Jan 11th Morrissey post a section of "conversation" which occurred in 2023 in which he complaints about being deleted as the central essence of the Smiths. It is unclear what prompted this message, Some have speculated that Marr may be planning to play Smiths albums live with another singer in Morrissey's place.
Jan 14th Morrissey posts on Central to say he is "doing nothing" but seems to be looking well in Paris France.
Jan 16th Mike Hinc's funeral is held in Carcassonne in France. One assumes that Morrissey attended. One also assumes that other members of the Smiths inner circle were present.
26th of Jan All planned concerts cancelled and announcement that Morrissey is exhausted and recovering in Zurich.
Where did you hear the Marr thing? Maybe I'm totally assessing him wrong but I really don't think he would ever do that, because it would be totally ridiculous. He has enough artistic integrity. He didn't like Rick Astley doing his tribute act and from his perspective he doesn't need someone to sing the songs, because he does it himself. Maybe they aren't close anymore as far as the public knowledge goes, but I don't think he would ever do that to the Smiths legacy (and because of that not to Morrissey) and the way they approached things. Never in a million years (and I really hope I'm not proved wrong here). And I also think, when push comes to shove and something is indeed very wrong with Morrissey health wise he would be respectful. Old bonds like theirs never die completely.

This is absolutely nonsense.
“A lot of people kind of hate the new band”

Should read “a few dozen people with mental health problems and access to the internet hate the new band”

90% of the people at Morrissey gigs have little clue of care about who is in the band.

Have a good day 👍
"People with mental health problems".... wondering about choice of phrase.

I have not seen Noel lately.
I wasn't saying that Noel said Morrissey had a drinking problem, just that he could drink a lot. There are other posts here of people saying that others have said the same of Morrissey.
I don't know if he is an alcoholic or not, but that footage of him drunk on the plane, acting out and shouting really doesn't help.
Mention the plane incident and I am back on my soapbox repeating myself. If I had been there I would have told him to be quiet and think of his dignity. As would anyone who cared. I was really shocked to find he was not alone on that flight, or is it a case that those on the payroll won't/can't/daren't ever suggest alternative behaviours/approaches?

I'd be very surprised if Johnny is planning to play full shows of Smiths songs with another singer. He has enough new material of his own and he can sing Smiths material himself or with the occasional 'guest'. Why would Johnny 'eclipse' himself in that way? Even just to 'hurt' Morrissey it would be a very strange decision.
We also don't know if Morrissey went to Mike Hinc's funeral. Or Johnny. My guess is it was probably a small private ceremony for close friends and family. Both Moz and Johnny will no doubt have sent flowers. Surely if both of them had been there a photo would have leaked out?
The truth is we will probably never know why Moz cancelled the shows in the USA and Mexico and South America. It could be because of some health reason. It could be because the California shows weren't selling well. It could be because he just didn't feel like doing them and was doing his hair. He's like that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom