Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

Re: it should go without saying, but in case it doesn't

Hand in mother effing glove ARE YOU JOKING? I'd sit here in the dirt for a week. It's my favorite most seminal sacred feminine song of rock and roll history.

'Throwing My Arms Around Paris' is just one of those songs that Morrissey still sings, but the words actually don't mean much at all. There's no feeling or passion when he sings it. Time to drop it along with the other YOR songs and throw more new songs in the mix. That's my little rant for the day :D

Barney is at my dad's house. I just did my chores and walked into my living room and there's no happy face saying "You're back! Aha, aha, aha!!!!" It's such an emptiness, he fills this house with happiness. I'm tempted to go pick him up today since I'm definitely not standing in line Saturday.

Today I was talking to an online friend that lives in England. He is 21. In his Facebook picture he is wearing a t-shirt for an American 70's rock band. Today he was watching the Eurovision finals and was telling me Conchita Wurst won and that he liked his song. I hadn't heard it yet so I listened and it was alright. I listened to a few other contenders and it definitely was better. So I told him I had listened to the Russian contenders and he said they would have done better but Russia is not popular now. We started talking about politics. I asked him about UKIP and he said they weren't as bad as the BNP and the BNP aren't as bad as Britain First. He votes for Labour but isn't happy with their middle of the road stance and thinks they should be further left. He said that UKIP uses buzzwords meant to play to people's fears about the future. He said he has friends that support them but that they argue about it.

Finally to my point here. When I talk to people that live in England I sometimes mention Morrissey. This person is a music fan who lives near Brighton. I asked him if he was aware of Morrissey's support of UKIP, or of Morrissey's lawsuit against the NME for calling him a racist. He does not know who Morrissey is or what the NME is. I thought Morrissey was like the frikken Kim Kardashian of England and every dropped what they were doing when he releases his latest statements. I have casually mentioned Morrissey to about ten English people and two have laughed, this one today did not know who he is, and the rest did not take the bait. No one said how much they loved some song or even wished The Smiths would reunite or even got angry about things he talked about. My random sample seems to indicate that people just aren't bothered either way.

Today I was talking to an online friend that lives in England. He is 21. In his Facebook picture he is wearing a t-shirt for an American 70's rock band. Today he was watching the Eurovision finals and was telling me Conchita Wurst won and that he liked his song. I hadn't heard it yet so I listened and it was alright. I listened to a few other contenders and it definitely was better. So I told him I had listened to the Russian contenders and he said they would have done better but Russia is not popular now. We started talking about politics. I asked him about UKIP and he said they weren't as bad as the BNP and the BNP aren't as bad as Britain First. He votes for Labour but isn't happy with their middle of the road stance and thinks they should be further left. He said that UKIP uses buzzwords meant to play to people's fears about the future. He said he has friends that support them but that they argue about it.

Finally to my point here. When I talk to people that live in England I sometimes mention Morrissey. This person is a music fan who lives near Brighton. I asked him if he was aware of Morrissey's support of UKIP, or of Morrissey's lawsuit against the NME for calling him a racist. He does not know who Morrissey is or what the NME is. I thought Morrissey was like the frikken Kim Kardashian of England and every dropped what they were doing when he releases his latest statements. I have casually mentioned Morrissey to about ten English people and two have laughed, this one today did not know who he is, and the rest did not take the bait. No one said how much they loved some song or even wished The Smiths would reunite or even got angry about things he talked about. My random sample seems to indicate that people just aren't bothered either way.

If he's known at all by younger generations in the UK, it's because they see him now and then in a tabloid newspaper whilst waiting to have their hair cut at the salon. Or in the dentist's waiting room. It's usually because Morrissey has made some 'controversial' statement about world affairs, not because he's a musical performer. For many, he's like Jeremy Clarkson,Julie Burchill and Katie Hopkins: a professional troll who their parent's generation regard as 'important' for a handful of songs from decades ago. They might briefly 'Like' a song if it's on a good advert like the Xmas John Lewis ad for PPPLMGWIW, but couldn't care less that it's not the original and laugh at the idea of 'studying' a whole bunch of CDs, which are redundant artefacts from pre-history. Morrissey is widely regarded as a laughing stock nowadays.

The fact that many people purchased his "Autobiography" says more about Boomer nostalgia for a failed cultural project than it does about his supposed relevance. I gave a copy to a cousin as a mischievous Xmas present. He only read the first few pages, then skipped at random before giving it to Oxfam. He thought it was bizarre and assumed Morrissey had a history of incarceration in a mental institution. He only listens to 'jazz' music. He's 18 and regards 'pop music' as a brief historical mistake. I think he's probably correct. Morrissey is not a hipster with the jazz/goatee youth set. Or anyone other than the tragic Dad Rock post punk-rock nostalgia Boomers who are his audience. And there's nothing wrong with that, or them. Just as there isn't anything wrong with people standing around for hours to watch Prince do his 'mysterious' schtick in Camden. It's just Bread and Circus entertainment as the world implodes. And there's nothing wrong with anyone on this site who finds meaning and value in his work, or in a Premier League season ticket. It's all just......data....to distract us.....from........death.

Last edited:
My face hurts.

My housemate is shouting down the phone to her boyfriend in the next room and driving me up the wall. I could swear this house is cursed because both years I've lived here there's been one other relatively ok person, and one dickhead who either makes my life hell and treats me like dirt (last year) or is just an insufferable poor little rich girl who manages to antagonise everyone she gets close to (this year). Maybe it's me. Getting increasingly fed up with sharing a house really, I'd be happier with a one-bedroom flat above a chippy just for some bloody peace and quiet.

EDIT: Also, Jesus Christ, I registered here 5 years ago. Doesn't feel that long.

Last edited:
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. My mom got an Abuelita card because they were out of english cards at Vons. :p She thought it was pretty. We always go to dinner a day OTHER than mother's day because it's crazy busy today.

7195451552_c9d1906c89.jpg

You know, Andy Rourke is quite a good songwriter. Everyone pretty much likes "Yes, I Am Blind" and Rourke wrote the music. Another missed opportunity there Moz. Maybe this is an olive branch to Rourke? Morrissey was also going to perform Rourke's other composition "Girl Least Likely To" not long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
you (not anyone here) can ignore me, but I'm not going away.

Regarding your parenthetical statement I talk to ghosts all the time, I think everyone is used to it, you're good. :D

The worst part about living in the ghetto is when people get their cars repossessed, which seems like often. :( They cry and beg the tow truck driver not to, that they can't get to work, that they sent the check it must've got lost...

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom