Question: Licensing Agreement For Bonfire

Robert Lee

Classics for pleasure
Hi all,

I hope you are all well.

Have we found out how long Capitol's licensing agreement is for Bonfire Of Teenagers?

Obviously we need the rights to the record to go back to Morrissey as soon as possible.

Rob. You’ve been going on about this constantly for nearly a year. Despite what you may think, Capitol are not blocking this release. I know it’s hard for you to grasp, but move on FFS
Or pick a ticket up and go see him since some songs. Bonfire won’t be released and it’s not on Capitol.
😮‍💨

Rob. You’ve been going on about this constantly for nearly a year. Despite what you may think, Capitol are not blocking this release. I know it’s hard for you to grasp, but move on FFS
Or pick a ticket up and go see him since some songs. Bonfire won’t be released and it’s not on Capitol.
😮‍💨
Well thats me told 😂

Hi all,

I hope you are all well.

Have we found out how long Capitol's licensing agreement is for Bonfire Of Teenagers?

Obviously we need the rights to the record to go back to Morrissey as soon as possible.
No one knows, Rob. Most agreements are for about 3 - 5 years, so it's certainly unlikely to be any time soon. As mentioned previously, a good contract lawyer would insist on a clause in the contract that if the record company change their mind and decide not to release the album, then it reverts back to the artist - but it looks like Moz didn't insist on that. Such a shame.

No one knows, Rob. Most agreements are for about 3 - 5 years, so it's certainly unlikely to be any time soon. As mentioned previously, a good contract lawyer would insist on a clause in the contract that if the record company change their mind and decide not to release the album, then it reverts back to the artist - but it looks like Moz didn't insist on that. Such a shame.
Thank you. Maybe Moz played it cheap and didn't hire a lawyer. His money may be drying up as the work is slow in coming. Hopefully this period doesn't last.

I understand your frustration Rob but it really is time we as a fanbase moved on.

As awful as Capitol have been Morrissey was very poorly advised in signing this contract in the first place.

He has put himself in this position. No one else.

So, if such a deal was sign, we might get the album back in Morrissey's hand by 2025 the latest?
Sadly, he'd still be without a record label (possibly), so we still wouldn't hear it even if it was under his control

So, if such a deal was sign, we might get the album back in Morrissey's hand by 2025 the latest?
Sadly, he'd still be without a record label (possibly), so we still wouldn't hear it even if it was under his control
That's correct. Unless he went down the self release route - and he shows no sign of wanting to do that. Sadly, in my view.

That's correct. Unless he went down the self release route - and he shows no sign of wanting to do that. Sadly, in my view.
I'm really hoping he does go down the self release route eventually. He doesn't need the record labels, they just get in the way... maybe he should go to an smaller/medium sized indie record label

I expect the licensing agreement is either 5 or 10 years. The trouble is, even if it expires tomorrow and Morrissey regains the rights again, no other major label has shown any interest in signing him, and he refuses to issue on an indie, so 'Bonfire' still wouldn't be released.

At this point, our best hope is someone leaks it.

If miley is whats holding it up, he just needs to replace her. He could theoretically just re-record the whole album. The label only owns the particular peformance to those songs. Or he could leak it, then release a live version of it. He's either holding out, or doesn't want to pay, but he's not helpless here. It's not some great vendetta against him. I maintain that he screwed up royally mentioning it was miley on the album. It's a no brainer her own label would 100% block her contributions because they arent getting any money. It's always money.

Morrissey could silence the doubters and upend this forum overnight with the release of either new album

It's a very tiring topic. We all have absolutely no idea what was contractually agreed between the two parties. Therefore it's all endless and useless speculation. I'm sure if Morrissey really wanted to get his album out, he could, if somebody would release it for him of course, because everything else is seemingly no option for him. He doesn't want to put the work or money in to get it out there. But the topics "self-release", "why won't /when will Capitol release it" have been discussed to death...

It's a very tiring topic. We all have absolutely no idea what was contractually agreed between the two parties. Therefore it's all endless and useless speculation. I'm sure if Morrissey really wanted to get his album out, he could, if somebody would release it for him of course, because everything else is seemingly no option for him. He doesn't want to put the work or money in to get it out there. But the topics "self-release", "why won't /when will Capitol release it" have been discussed to death...

Totally lazy lazy lazy! So disappointing. He really needs to work with a partner who can motivate him.

The truth is we do not know what kind of contract he signed or what really happened. I do think he was hardly in the position to make demands for any kind of stipulations in a contract because he was not in a position of power, he had been begging record companies to sign him for a while. After today's antics, he will probably never get another record deal, deservedly so.

I'm really hoping he does go down the self release route eventually. He doesn't need the record labels, they just get in the way... maybe he should go to an smaller/medium sized indie record label
Based on what the actual sales numbers are likely to be, I don't know why this isn't an option. Certainly, record companies much smaller than Capitol could handle what Morrissey will do in sales.

Based on what the actual sales numbers are likely to be, I don't know why this isn't an option. Certainly, record companies much smaller than Capitol could handle what Morrissey will do in sales.

Sleeper self released their last album Modern Age and it got to number 18 in the charts, so i'm sure Morrissey could do this.

Back
Top Bottom