"cemetry" - a possible explanation

N

noam

i was watching vh1 europe top40 songs of all-times, and there was one by iron maiden or something, named "cemetery gates" possibly from before 1986. maybe when morrissey decided to put the song on the album and to name it that way, one of the guys told him about the other song, and he, umm, didn`t like the resemblance..

I'm sure that its just a spelling mistake, that nobody else spotted - I doubt Morrissey would keep track of the activities of groups like Irom Maiden(!).
( this issue must have been giving you sleepless nights or something - those Steve Davis posts were ages ago (well, several days at least) )¿ i was watching vh1 europe top40 songs of all-times, and there¿ was one by iron maiden or something, named "cemetery¿ gates" possibly from before 1986. maybe when morrissey¿ decided to put the song on the album and to name it that way,¿ one of the guys told him about the other song, and he, umm,¿ didn`t like the resemblance..

> I'm sure that its just a spelling mistake, that nobody else¿ spotted

Despite being widely-read (allegedly)I believe that Morrissey is a poor speller. That's what Johnny "motorway pileup" Rogan reckons anyway.

> Despite being widely-read (allegedly)I believe that Morrissey is¿ a poor speller. That's what Johnny "motorway pileup"¿ Rogan reckons anyway.

If it is indeed a product of poor spelling, that's a carelessness inexcusable on Moz's part. The spelling "error" is ironic considering the lyrics' reference to literary pursuits, etc.

Your post hints at the ironic possibility that Moz uses this misspelling to emphasise the "plagiarism" motif. An interesting insight that I hadn't contemplated before. Yes, that must be it!¿ If it is indeed a product of poor spelling, that's a¿ carelessness inexcusable on Moz's part. The spelling¿ "error" is ironic considering the lyrics' reference to¿ literary pursuits, etc.

consumer, i didnt have sleepless nights..i just watched the tv..
and what you said now just points out that it wasnt a mistake, it had a purpose. its possible that either moz, johnny, andy, joyce or street, or other people at wea, knew about this early 80`s song,pointed out to morrissey about the title, and he changed the title and all the other "cemetry" in the song.

another possibility:
its easier to sing "cemetry"
so he changed it, knowingly..

Re: "pashernate" - a possible explanation

i do not believe that iron maiden has ever had any effect on our smiths whatsoever (well, other than dave murray's obvious influence of johnny marr's picking style and chordal technique, and from the looks of things mike joyce just may have taken a few hair tips from maiden drummer nicko mcbrain).

i also don't think that a misspelled word would have made it onto the record unnoticed, much less in the form of a song title.

it's called poetic license; morrissey exercises it often.

Back
Top Bottom