Should commercial morrissey music be shared on this site?

Should Commercial morrissey music be shared on this site?

• Yes?

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • No?

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
I don't think so.

Morrissey dislikes this site enough without being able to acuse us of ripping him off by putting up songs to download. Bootlegs and unreleased stuff I think should be allowed (encouraged!) but if you can go and buy it in a shop on online then no.

And there's plenty of places out there if people want to get stuff free if they could be bothered to go looking.

I agree with Godlovesugly. However, it's not up to *us* to moderate this... it's down to the copyright owners to request it to be removed.
I'd let Smiths songs be uploaded and shared here... since Joyce is such a demon. Morrissey songs, especially current album/b-side songs really really shouldn't be posted here - or anywhere.

yes it should.

Mada said:
...it's down to the copyright owners to request it to be removed.

That's bollocks, frankly. You might as well say it's ok to kill someone as long as you don't tell the police about it. The law is the law.

Mad Vespa said:
If it's free else where why not get it here?!

Because I for one don't particlarly want DavidT taken the court and the site shut down, which is a real possibility.

I agree that free music can be obtained elsewhere therefore those who wish to get/exchange Moz's official releases without paying should seek other options rather then jeprodizing this website and it's owner(s).

Having said that, I'm always surprised to see the copyright police stressing over one or two Moz's songs being posted and I never see them doing the same in the "other music" section. In fact, some of them are quite ok with downloading music of other artists via this website for free and that is, in fact, a violation of law too. Therefore, if we're really worried about the law and welfare of DavidT and our favorite artists, the question needs to be expanded to "Should commercial music be shared on this site?" period.

I understand that some of you feel obliged to defend Moz only but that's a rather partial view. Either you're supporting something in principal or you're not - it really doesn't work both ways.

Last edited:
Well, there is that.
Yeah, and on such a well-known site like this, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm all for sharing any type of music (how can the propagation of art ever be a bad thing if that art in question has legitimate intentions?), but sometimes it has risks attached.

I agree with Godlovesugly. However, it's not up to *us* to moderate this... it's down to the copyright owners to request it to be removed.

Mada is correct -

It is generally against the rules to upload copyrighted materials but please do not feel the need to police them - this is up to the copyright holder of the material or a representative to request the removal. They have specific 6 steps that need to be followed, please see the TOS (item 18) for details.

I cooperate and comply with all valid requests for takedown.

Note, the downloads are not actually posted on this site, just links to them. I don't like censoring links or anything else, but that's how it works currently. My suggestion is that if you have a problem with something uploaded, go after who is actually hosting the material.

Personally I'm all for sharing. I do want artists to get money, and I do buy a lot of CDs, but Morrissey is not the only artist that I'm fanatic about, and there's always stuff that I want to have, and sometimes I'd rather download a mediocre Moz B-side and spend my money on a better release by another artist.

As for the danger this poses to the site or to David - well, it's really up to David to decide. If he doesn't want people to post this stuff, he can let us know, and I'm sure we'd all respect his decision, and if anyone wouldn't, that's what the moderators are for.

edit: I see that David just did post his opinion, and I think it makes sense.

I think uploading whole albums is a bit naughty, though if people want to download them they'll do it anyway.

I don't think there's any problem with putting up links to odd tracks or old b-sides that people might find hard to find. I find it a bit petty when someone asks to hear a b-side and they are told to go and buy the single instead.

I don't actually think the site is in too much danger from legal proceedings though. It wouldn't be worth anyone's trouble. It's a different thing when a record company is trying to protect a new release.

The paradox with music sharing is that it can *benefit* artists. Particularly artists who don't get much mainstream radio play. Let's say someone recommends a song that I've never heard and never will get to hear on radio. if I download it and really like it, I usually end up buying the album. I'm not going to buy music blind, without ever having heard it. It'd be like buying a car without first test driving it. If the song is turd, I trash it after a few listens - and yeah in that case the artist benefits sweet FA.

I realise downloading is wrong, but just like "tape to tape" didn't kill music, on-line downloading and music sharing isn't going to either.

Let me make another example for the sake of illustration. I got into the Smiths because someone made me a tape. That was simply wrong of them, wasn't it? The 1980's equivalent of sharing music on the net. Now some 20 years later I own (quickly exports iTunes to excel) 34 Morrissey albums, EP's and singles. Plus a few DVD's, not to mention all my Smiths CD's and singles, plus the vinyl and vhs that I once owned and have since thrown away. Plus the shirts, plus plus plus. If I lived elsewhere in the world, it would be a whole bunch of concert tickets too. All because someone made me an illegal copy of a Smiths album.

Maybe Morrissey gets airplay in the UK, but where I live neither the Smiths nor Moz gets played on radio. If I share a Morrissey song with a friend, there's every chance that they'll get tuned into his music and end up being a rabid fan like the rest of us. One or two downloads can convert into many, many album sales.

Like I said, I know it's not right, but I am pointing out that there's two sides to the coin. I can say just about all of the CD's I've bought over the last five years have been because I've picked up a song I really like through music sharing.

Out.

Back
Top Bottom