suedehead

• Thread starter Deleted member 31782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31782

I'm trying to understand the meaning of this song. They write on the Internet that it is dedicated to James Dean, but this is unlikely, because he died in 1955. And in the song there are such lines:'' it was a good lay''. judging by the text, we are talking about short lovestory, which is finished and left behind a certain sadness. But it's still unclear why then the song is called suedehead. This is a hint that the affair was with suedehead. broke my head

I'm trying to understand the meaning of this song. They write on the Internet that it is dedicated to James Dean, but this is unlikely, because he died in 1955. And in the song there are such lines:'' it was a good lay''. judging by the text, we are talking about short lovestory, which is finished and left behind a certain sadness. But it's still unclear why then the song is called suedehead. This is a hint that the affair was with suedehead. broke my head
perhaps there is not about a contemporary of Morrissey, but a fictional story associated with James Dean?

I think with this song Morrissey is looking into the future and predicting the album 'Head Music' by Suede. He quite rightly predicts it to be a shit album, hence the line "You know it makes things hard for me" (i.e. it's a hard listen). "I'm so sorry" - here the narrator assumes the persona of Brett Anderson apologising for the album

I see it that way: while there are mentions of James Dean and a short love story in the lyrics, the connection may not be literal. The title "suedehead" might not directly relate to the lyrics but could be chosen for its mood or uniqueness) If you know what I mean...

I think with this song Morrissey is looking into the future and predicting the album 'Head Music' by Suede. He quite rightly predicts it to be a shit album, hence the line "You know it makes things hard for me" (i.e. it's a hard listen). "I'm so sorry" - here the narrator assumes the persona of Brett Anderson apologising for the album
what about Once a saw the River Clean? if he was such a psychic, he would be able to read thoughts at a distance

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about James Dean. The video was filmed in his hometown. That's the beginning and end of the Dean connection.

The title is also not relevant to the song; it's a non sequitur reference to an obscure Richard Allen novel about British youth culture.

The song itself, like almost everything Morrissey has written after the first Smiths LP, is quite on the nose. It's about an annoying, obsessive friend who he ultimately decides to f*** anyway.

It's not about James Dean. The video was filmed in his hometown. That's the beginning and end of the Dean connection.

The title is also not relevant to the song; it's a non sequitur reference to an obscure Richard Allen novel about British youth culture.

The song itself, like almost everything Morrissey has written after the first Smiths LP, is quite on the nose. It's about an annoying, obsessive friend who he ultimately decides to f*** anyway.
what is ''quite on the nose''? what a libertine! but according to the plot, he f...d first by mutual desire (which is strange, because judging by Morrissey's work, he doesn't really believe in mutual love) , and only then it turned out that this friend was annoying. so it's probably some other song.

what is ''quite on the nose''? what a libertine! but according to the plot, he f...d first by mutual desire (which is strange, because judging by Morrissey's work, he doesn't really believe in mutual love) , and only then it turned out that this friend was annoying. so it's probably some other song.
When did I imply the f***ing wasn't mutual? What does that have to do with anything.

Also, are you listening to the song backwards? He spends the first two and a half minutes bemoaning his friend's sycophancy, and then reveals that nonetheless "it was a good lay."

Actually come to think of it I suppose the f***ing could have come first, albeit only being admitted to in the coda, thereby inspiring the friend's obsessive behavior even after the narrator had lost interest. I never thought about it like that before. So who knows.

When did I imply the f***ing wasn't mutual? What does that have to do with anything.

Also, are you listening to the song backwards? He spends the first two and a half minutes bemoaning his friend's sycophancy, and then reveals that nonetheless "it was a good lay."

Actually come to think of it I suppose the f***ing could have come first, albeit only being admitted to in the coda, thereby inspiring the friend's obsessive behavior even after the narrator had lost interest. I never thought about it like that before. So who knows.
I don't think at that time he was such a cynical person when he wrote this song. But who knows

And that is based on what exactly? His lyrical output and copious interviews between 1983 and 1987?
No, I didn't study all his interviews that well)) It's just how I feel. but maybe this is my beautiful illusion, it often happens.

And that is based on what exactly? His lyrical output and copious interviews between 1983 and 1987?
I just have a theory that a person can lie in an interview, in conversation, in behavior in everyday life. But when he begins to engage in real creativity (not cold commerce, namely creativity), he, whether he wants it or not, reveals his soul and can no longer lie.

I mean, according to the meaning of the song, he did it not out of pity, but because he wanted it. but perhaps his feeling was more superficial than the feeling of the other, for whom it meant more.

I just realized what you wrote. you made a mistake. it is unlikely that the person addressed by the main character of this song has achieved what you have written or let smb take advantage of him, what you have written too. because there we are talking about sincere feelings, and not about the usual primitive vulgarity or sycophancy with selfish. and otherwise, it would be too much honor to dedicate a song to smb, who doesn't have a sense of self-worth. however, everyone sees in everything what he can and wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom