Swords - Midweek chart news

I'm not very impressed with the sleeve, either. It's very boring, whoever chose it, should fired at once! hahaha. I doubt it'll chart very high, too. Though, we all know some of Moz's B-sides are his best work, some are definitely A-Side contenders, :guitar:

That's strange- in the vinyl section under M, there were 6 copies of "Swords" on Monday morning in HMV Oxford Street

That is indeed strange. When I asked if they had anymore in stock she looked it up on the computer and saw they initially had one vinyl, which had been sold. Six were on order, but weren't expected until next week.

I looked all through the vinyl section too, and only found two YORs - which I placed to the front of the racks of course :p

That is indeed strange. When I asked if they had anymore in stock she looked it up on the computer and saw they initially had one vinyl, which had been sold. Six were on order, but weren't expected until next week.

I looked all through the vinyl section too, and only found two YORs - which I placed to the front of the racks of course :p

though not in london - i work for hmv in newcastle and we got 40 copies of the ltd cd , about 15 of normal and 6 copies of vinyl (one was mine) - i am off this week for 1/2 term (going to leeds tomorrow tho - the kids will cope by themselves - ha ha) so do not know how it has sold but i was in on monday afternoon to buy it and all the vinyls were still there ! we did about a dozen vinyl of refusal when it came out , so i expect to sell all the swords vinyls !

If it fails to make the top 40 it would be his worst performing album ever, in the UK, and it will also mean that it will sell less than 6000 copies...

Those who accused him of Swords being another cash-in need to think again. What cash?

I think I prefaced my cash grab comments with a "what the hell is the point of this album in the year 2009?" Ten years ago, this album might have made sense but today it is superfluous. Once the cover leaked, people were already leaking the album on the net with tracks culled from all the various releases. I just don't know who this album is marketed to? If you're a fan, you probably have the material, if you're not the perception is b-sides are inferior to a-sides. Sadly, perception is reality. Also, it doesn't help that it looks as if Morrissey spent all of ten minutes on the photo shoot for the album's cover.

I think the whole experience is a missed opportunity. If the stage collapse is not a glaring example, his career is nearing the end. Time to continue to sort out lost materials, re-issue albums, tidy up his legacy. Not re-issue, re-package to a download music era.

This isn't really a surprise, not many artists will chart with a b sides album.

Yes, but that won't deter Morrissey from decrying the fact that "Swords" didn't chart #1 in the U.K.:)

I think I prefaced my cash grab comments with a "what the hell is the point of this album in the year 2009?" Ten years ago, this album might have made sense but today it is superfluous. Once the cover leaked, people were already leaking the album on the net with tracks culled from all the various releases. I just don't know who this album is marketed to? If you're a fan, you probably have the material, if you're not the perception is b-sides are inferior to a-sides.

Hi, I'm gonna get Swords. I have most of the songs on CD singles scattered about my place but it's a major faff compiling them all.
I never really download songs and neither do 55% of all music buyers, apparently. The perception that everyone downloads music these days is absolute nonsense.
I'm looking forward to getting the album but have the obstacle of picking up a CD with that bloody awful cover to overcome first!

Time to continue to sort out lost materials, re-issue albums, tidy up his legacy. Not re-issue, re-package to a download music era.

Your objection seems to be the fact that he's releasing it now, in a "download music era". But if this had come out in 1988 or 1995 it would be okay?

If that's your thought process, why not see "Swords" as a defiant gesture toward the current music scene? He's always been anachronistic and out of place, and to me "Swords" seems like a deliberate throwback album in the sense that he continues to believe in the quality of B-sides in an age in which the very term "B-sides" is meaningless.

You have to remember, we don't know what kind of expectations surround this album. Morrissey may not expect a #1. He might expect to sell twenty or thirty thousand worldwide. The main reason he wanted to release these songs as an album may have been an act of pride, which was also (partly) the philosophy behind all his other compilations. I think it makes sense. I don't mind its low "use value". And I'm buying it. :)

Your objection seems to be the fact that he's releasing it now, in a "download music era". But if this had come out in 1988 or 1995 it would be okay?

If that's your thought process, why not see "Swords" as a defiant gesture toward the current music scene? He's always been anachronistic and out of place, and to me "Swords" seems like a deliberate throwback album in the sense that he continues to believe in the quality of B-sides in an age in which the very term "B-sides" is meaningless.

You have to remember, we don't know what kind of expectations surround this album. Morrissey may not expect a #1. He might expect to sell twenty or thirty thousand worldwide. The main reason he wanted to release these songs as an album may have been an act of pride, which was also (partly) the philosophy behind all his other compilations. I think it makes sense. I don't mind its low "use value". And I'm buying it. :)

I don't see the big deal. Moz has always hoovered up what he believes to be his best b-sides. The only difference is that this is the first time he's released an album exclusively containing b-sides. Normally, they're interspersed with the singles or the odd album song.
It's something plenty of other bands do, even relatively recently e.g. Oasis and The Killers.

I don't see the big deal. Moz has always hoovered up what he believes to be his best b-sides. The only difference is that this is the first time he's released an album exclusively containing b-sides. Normally, they're interspersed with the singles or the odd album song.
It's something plenty of other bands do, even relatively recently e.g. Oasis and The Killers.

Right, and the reason there are no A-sides is because (1) they were mostly collected on "Greatest Hits" and (2) he needed room for the bumper crop of B-sides to hoover up.

I'm also partial to the album because one day I was playing "Human Being" and stopped in my tracks because I didn't realize how amazing the song was. These albums are chances for the songs to be re-heard and re-evaluated in a new context.

The album makes sense, even if it only pays for one pair of Gucci sunglasses.

Right, and the reason there are no A-sides is because (1) they were mostly collected on "Greatest Hits" and (2) he needed room for the bumper crop of B-sides to hoover up.

I'm also partial to the album because one day I was playing "Human Being" and stopped in my tracks because I didn't realize how amazing the song was. These albums are chances for the songs to be re-heard and re-evaluated in a new context.

The album makes sense, even if it only pays for one pair of Gucci sunglasses.

Except that Human being isn't on there, of course.

I like the idea behind a b-sides album, but if you do it, do it properly. Collect ALL the b-sides from a certain period (It's not like there wasn't room on the cd for the other 5 or 6), and if you must omit 1 or 2 let it be the live-ones, but this tracklisting just makes no sense at all to anyone, except Moz.

I think it was the "Q" magazine review that wrote something like "at this digital age A-sides and B-sides are meaningless - but only if you are Morrissey".

Sad.

OK, instead of buying records, let's all download the latest shit in a minimal bitrate.

BUY RECORDS! GO TO THE SHOPS! Digital download is NOT the world.

I think it was the exclusive special promo thingy if you preordered on iTunes. Or something like that. :rolleyes:

How impatient do you have to be to preorder a download? It's like calling ahead to order a Big Mac so it's ready for you when you get there.

By Big Mac I meant a yam sandwich of course.

i really like the album but the cover is terrible. the girl behind the check out said it was only the 4th one sold this week and she hates looking at the cover.

HMV Glasgow yesterday had 4 (!!!!!!) copies of the CD and no Vinyls at all. Very sad state of affairs.
CD was deleted on Monday so only the non 2disc version available now which most shops didn't order. If you don't get the one with the live CD this week, you aint going to get it...

I think it's a lovely album. The artwork is dreadful and is probably a worse sleeve than Maladjusted.

Got the vinyl as well which is top class with nice inner sleeves.

Like all Morrissey albums I think it could have been better.

I don't like Drive in Saturday as a song and Sweetie Pie is dirge.

If they were replaced with Public Image and Slum Mums it would be excellent.

The age old problem of Morrissey not knowing what his best songs are and no one there to offer some quality control.

I'll get it for the vinyl as well. At least Moz has the good sense to omit "I am two people". I won't miss that song at all. Can't see why Slum Mums and Public Image were left off. I think they are both quite nice songs what with that great lyric from PI "I tried to pass myself off as a human being" and Slum Mums is a nice flip side to Teenage Dad... :D

Yes it's a lame sleeve with a perfectly good substitute for a sleeve via the inner sleeve but at least that's being consistent of late with the other er, um... sleeves :(

Swords is top 40 now.

Albums

1 Cheryl Cole
2 Michael Buble
3 Michael Jackson
4 Alexandra Burke
5 Soldiers

Top 10
6 Katherine Jenkins
9 Daniel O'Donnell

Top 15
11 BEPs