Tell us about the last film you watched, pt 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
Hard watch indeed, but the teenage perspective and animal victims of war made it feel like a Morrissey take. The only let down for me was stereotyped portrayal of the Germans, which detracts from the message that this horror at minimum is what all war means.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'stereotyped portrayal of the Germans'? The film portrays the actions of one of the SS Einsatzgruppen - these were 'death squads' and their brutality and cruelty, particularly in the USSR, is well documented. The film doesn't portray the actions of ordinary German soldiers.

Black moon is a great film with Joe dallesandro!!

Interesting interview with Kevin Spacey. I do think ultimately he played the role of the villain too well. So people think he's a villain whatever the jury finds.
He's a wonderful actor. So many great roles.

The documentary Spacey Unmasked is airing on the Investigation Discovery channel here in the states. I watched about 3/5ths through until a feline health issue caused me to pause it, and I didn't bother finishing it. I'm too biased (Kevin Spacey is one of my favorite actors) to review it fairly. But most of the testimonials are self-refuting. One guy found Spacey to be a creepy perv but inexplicably kept on letting himself be alone with him; another is a muscular 6'2 ex-Marine who somehow felt physically threatened by Spacey—in an "Oprah moment" he gets up and acts out in regret (I can't remember if he punches himself, or becomes choked up with tears, or both; it's so staged and melodramatic it doesn't even matter). I might watch Spacey's rebuttal, but Spacey Unmasked is so poor I don't think I have to. One unintended benefit of it is that you can see why Spacey prevails at trial. At every hole in their stories, you wish you could cross-examine these accusers yourself, something the movie refuses to do.

Probably the most interesting aspect of it is its mention of Rupert Everett's decision to be an openly gay actor in the 80s and 90s, and Spacey's decision to remain private possibly having been influenced by Hollywood's treatment of Everett. Or he could just be a private person; it's all speculation. Everett of course played the long game and is now greatly respected. If Spacey did calculate and make an unwise deal with the fame demon, then the debt is being paid. But Spacey may still come through it. A few actors are now willing to lend him public support. It might be fitting that his star will be as continuously polarizing as the movie in which he plays his finest role, American Beauty. It's constantly being critically re-evaluated. When it came out it pissed off the religious right, nowadays it draws the ire of the PC left.

This is an article I was thinking about, regarding re-appraisals of American Beauty. Some of Stephanie Zacharek's criticisms are good; I just think it's a movie that manages to transcend its weaknesses.

iv watched so much in the last few weeks.
love lies bleeding.
godzilla minus one-again.
knox goes away,fantastic film starring and directed by michael keaton,not usually a fan of his but this was a must watch,a hitman who is losing his memory.
the asphalt city,sean penn and tye sheridan play two paramedics,tye sheridans acting in the final scene is unbelievable.
the abandoned-taiwanese serial killer thriller,soooo good.
abigail-good horror with plenty of gore.
the first omen-as a huge fan of the original omen i wasnt looking forward to this,pleasantly surprised,this was decent.
THE END.

This one is on my to-watch list, gordyboy9. What's your capsule review and scale-of-1-to-1o rating?
9 but something happens at the end where your jaw will hit the floor then you will pick it up and pop it back in.

The documentary Spacey Unmasked is airing on the Investigation Discovery channel here in the states. I watched about 3/5ths through until a feline health issue caused me to pause it, and I didn't bother finishing it. I'm too biased (Kevin Spacey is one of my favorite actors) to review it fairly. But most of the testimonials are self-refuting. One guy found Spacey to be a creepy perv but inexplicably kept on letting himself be alone with him; another is a muscular 6'2 ex-Marine who somehow felt physically threatened by Spacey—in an "Oprah moment" he gets up and acts out in regret (I can't remember if he punches himself, or becomes choked up with tears, or both; it's so staged and melodramatic it doesn't even matter). I might watch Spacey's rebuttal, but Spacey Unmasked is so poor I don't think I have to. One unintended benefit of it is that you can see why Spacey prevails at trial. At every hole in their stories, you wish you could cross-examine these accusers yourself, something the movie refuses to do.

Probably the most interesting aspect of it is its mention of Rupert Everett's decision to be an openly gay actor in the 80s and 90s, and Spacey's decision to remain private possibly having been influenced by Hollywood's treatment of Everett. Or he could just be a private person; it's all speculation. Everett of course played the long game and is now greatly respected. If Spacey did calculate and make an unwise deal with the fame demon, then the debt is being paid. But Spacey may still come through it. A few actors are now willing to lend him public support. It might be fitting that his star will be as continuously polarizing as the movie in which he plays his finest role, American Beauty. It's constantly being critically re-evaluated. When it came out it pissed off the religious right, nowadays it draws the ire of the PC left.
this was on bbc2 last monday and tuesday,with any of these things why dont people go to the police right away,all it would have took was spacey to be found guilty here or in america then they go after his money.we now live in a world where everyone wants compensation off either the government or a company.

this was on bbc2 last monday and tuesday,with any of these things why dont people go to the police right away,all it would have took was spacey to be found guilty here or in america then they go after his money.we now live in a world where everyone wants compensation off either the government or a company.

Absolutely. Added to which, why should these accusers feel compelled to go to the police or sue Spacey for money? The extent of one of the complaints was "he put his hand on my leg and moved it up to my crotch where it touched my penis." Both parties were fully clothed. Trying to be empathetic: is that seriously a form of sexual assault? Good column on the subject by Douglas Murray.

I watched Maestro last night, about Leonard Bernstein, and I thought it was a bit meh. Good acting, good sets but I didn't find it interesting. Has anyone else seem it? Any thoughts, folks?

I watched Maestro last night, about Leonard Bernstein, and I thought it was a bit meh. Good acting, good sets but I didn't find it interesting. Has anyone else seem it? Any thoughts, folks?

Thought it was great. An anticlimactic ending, but don’t know how else they could have ended it.

Definitely worth a watch though, considering
the rest of the crap out there that passes for film, movies, entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom