The 3 new Morrissey songs - what do we know/think about them?

Maurice E

• Action is my middle name
  • The kid's a looker
  • People are the same everywhere

We know that Stephen Street wasn't involved in any (although Boz didn't rule out that Street has been working with Morrissey, but he probably wouldn't even if he hadn't). We think (or do we know?) that 'Action is my middle name' is an old Morrissey/Whyte composition previously called 'Action Man'.

So who wrote the other two? We think (or do we know?) that Morrissey has not been working with Alain Whyte for several years, and the titles are new (to us at least) so it seems unlikely that they are Morrissey/Whyte songs. Perhaps we can assume, therefore, that they were written by B Boorer or J Tobias?

What of those titles? Personally, I don't think they sound great. 'The Kid's a Looker' sounds like a Wedding Present song - never a good thing.
'People are the same ...' sounds like a sentiment from 'Ebony and Ivory'. Either that or it might be a Crashing Bores style rant. Neither is promising!

Anyway, intriguing times. Let's hope there is some Steven Street involvement somewhere along the line. Although I like plenty of Boorer songs, and the odd J Tobias composition, I'd be hoping for some other contributions across an album (unless BB has rediscovered his mid 90's form).

Last edited:
We think (or do we know?) that 'Action is my middle name' is an old Morrissey/Whyte composition previously called 'Action Man'.

We know.

So who wrote the other two? We think (or do we know?) that Morrissey has not been working with Alain Whyte for several years,

We know.

and the titles are new (to us at least) so it seems unlikely that they are Morrissey/Whyte songs. Perhaps we can assume, therefore, that they were written by B Boorer or J Tobias?

You'll be able to tell within 5 seconds who wrote each song.

What of those titles? Personally, I don't think they sound great.

I actually preferred the fake "Inmate Date" title to any of these...

'The Kid's a Looker' sounds like a Wedding Present song - never a good thing.

This will probably be another "gay" song...like "Good Looking Man About Town".

'People are the same ...' sounds like a sentiment from 'Ebony and Ivory'. Either that or it might be a Crashing Bores style rant. Neither is promising!

It will be like Crashing Bores.

Anyway, intriguing times. Let's hope there is some Steven Street involvement somewhere along the line.

I concur.

Although I like plenty of Boorer songs, and the odd J Tobias composition,

Aren't all of his songs odd? :p

I'd be hoping for some other contributions across an album (unless BB has rediscovered his mid 90's form).

That ship has sailed, my friend...

Aren't all of his songs odd?

No - they're not! And therein lies the problem - they're meat and potatoes, indie-pop stodge!
Actually, i'm not one of the JT haters. I think his best songs are better than the lower quality Whyte/Boorer compositions although nowhere near the Stephen Street watermark.

Last edited:
Aside from Boz stating Streety's non-involvement, we don't know anything except the titles. "Action Is My Middle Name" and "The Kid's A Looker" sound like flippant, b-side throwaways - not in itself necessarily a bad thing. At first glance "People Are The Same Everywhere" could be seen as some bland everyday platitude, but I expect Morrissey's lyrical take on the theme to be somewhat more cynical.

The question is, is the album ready to be released or is all they have demos for an albums worth of songs? Would they have been able to record and produce an album that secretly? I mean, there was not the slightest sign that there were recording sessions in progress. And who produced the album? Street?

I, personally, know nothing of the three new songs. And neither, I imagine, does anyone else, other than the dozen or so people present at the Maida Vale session yesterday.
As for the titles? I long ago ceased to judge the worth of a Morrissey song on the title alone ~ 'My Dearest Love' and 'I'd Love To', for example, were nothing titles that resulted in two of the best songs he's ever done or likely to do. So, y'know, wait and see...

I, personally, know nothing of the three new songs. And neither, I imagine, does anyone else, other than the dozen or so people present at the Maida Vale session yesterday.
As for the titles? I long ago ceased to judge the worth of a Morrissey song on the title alone ~ 'My Dearest Love' and 'I'd Love To', for example, were nothing titles that resulted in two of the best songs he's ever done or likely to do. So, y'know, wait and see...

This.

I walk past this sign every day. Sometimes twice a day. :D

5821037815_6385f57f8e.jpg

I mean, there was not the slightest sign that there were recording sessions in progress. And who produced the album? Street?

I recall an anonymous post last summer (June 2010) which stated...

"Morrissey hasn't been recording in France. He has been working on some demo tracks at St. Catherine's Court in Bath.According to my source he has also had preliminary discussions with Nigel Godrich - Radiohead to product the material. This may relate to the sighting at EMI last week. Unfortunately nothing will occur tell late Fall as Boz is currently booked and busy working with other bands."

Last edited:
We think (or do we know?) that Morrissey has not been working with Alain Whyte for several years, and the titles are new (to us at least) so it seems unlikely that they are Morrissey/Whyte songs.

Well I think there's a good amount of unreleased Whyte demos from the last two albums which could certainly be recycled for a new album. Throw in the usual Boz and Jesse tracks and we've got enough for an album/b-sides worth of material.

We know.

We know.

You'll be able to tell within 5 seconds who wrote each song.

I actually preferred the fake "Inmate Date" title to any of these...

This will probably be another "gay" song...like "Good Looking Man About Town".

It will be like Crashing Bores.

I concur.

Aren't all of his songs odd? :p

That ship has sailed, my friend...

Conjecture to give the impression you know stuff. You don't. None of us do.

P.

Back
Top Bottom