The Cribs possess the brains of the Buzzcocks, the guts of Nirvana...

Maurice E

the fizz of the Ramones, the haircuts of the Inspiral Carpets, and the cultural significance of Scouting for Girls.”

Seems like the press are only picking up on the first bit of Marr's quote.
The Cribs’ album is set to be a bigger commercial flop than YOR, fans of Marr-related schadenfreude will be pleased to know! Only just made the top 10 and is now at 72 after just three weeks.
Imagine how they would’ve fared without Marr banging on about his relationship with Moz and how he formed the Smiths in every single interview?

Last edited:
Re: “The Cribs possess the brains of the Buzzcocks, the guts of Nirvana...

the fizz of the Ramones, the haircuts of the Inspiral Carpets, and the cultural significance of Scouting for Girls.”

The Cribs’ album is set to be a bigger commercial flop than YOR, fans of Marr-related schadenfreude will be pleased to know! Only just made the top 10 and is now at 72 after just three weeks.
Imagine how they would’ve fared without Marr banging on about his relationship with Moz and how he formed the Smiths in every single interview?

Well it has still done better than their previous endeavours, hasn't it? Their first album debuted at #96!

I saw the Cribs on stage and it was very very bad and boring, even Johnny Marr seems to be somewhere else but not with the 3 other members of the band. The singers sing out of tune, and their music misses melody.

My husband even declined an interview with Johnny Marr (one of his dream as rock interviewer) about the Cribs because he hadn't nothing to ask about the band and he wouldn't spoke about The Smiths with Johnny Marr while the Cribs album was released. Sad.

So....zero cultural significance, then?

This is suprising as i genuinly love the new cribs album, some great songs on there and some heavily "marr" influenced riffs. a few songs sound like they have come straight of a smiths album

The Cribs new album is miles better than YOR. Some people need to listen with an open mind and consider that Marr might have outdone Morrissey for once.

the other members of the band must be a bit pissed off. Most of the interviews I've seen or read for this new album seems to be all about johnny and the smiths. its a bit lazy from those who are conducting the interview and is getting boring. if it happens, its happen. concentrate more on what he's doing now rather than 20 years ago

The Cribs second and third albums are actually really good. The new album is very Smiths-y to me, but still not as good as their previous efforts sans Marr.

Marr's happy, The Cribs are better than a lot of the shite out there, Ignore the Ignorant is more enjoyable than YOR. Let the bloke be.

This is suprising as i genuinly love the new cribs album, some great songs on there and some heavily "marr" influenced riffs. a few songs sound like they have come straight of a smiths album

totally agree

Finally, you've defined yourself. Thanks! ;)

Touché!
I'm generally pretty positive about J Marr. He's written the best song of all time (in my humble) and I'd love to have a drink and a chat with him - probably more so than with S Morrissey. He's a grounded, good natured and all-round very intelligent guy.
I also think that, musically, the Cribs single (Cheat on Me) is pretty impressive - much better than the average recent Morrissey song.
But I'm just getting a bit tired of seeing that flipping banner ("The Cribs possess the brains..."), hearing Marr massively over-hype the band, and constantly reading tales of Smithsdom in any Cribs-related interview...

totally agree

Are you deafs?:squiffy:

I don't want to be rude but I can't let you write silly notes like this without reaction.

As I already said, the Cribs singers sing out of tune (but maybe...surely...they used autotune on the album), there is no melody in their music, and, on stage they don't play together, each band member (even JM) is playing in is corner for himself, there is no dynamics group...the show was atrocious. Even JM was bad. And it's pathetic to see JM acting like a young boy. He's near 50 now, he should better fulfill that fact.
YOR is a very good album, very powerfull, very homogeneous, Morrissey and his musicians form a real band coherent. On satge, they play together, they have a dynamics group. And they seem to be very happy to be on stage playing together, and Morrissey is very generous, he gives a lot when he performs (when I saw the Cribs, none band member smiled during the all show, there was no communication with the audience) Morrissey is still able to lay is voice over any music and find a melody. Johnny Marr is not that good in the Cribs (I should prefer he was great, at the top but he is not). I prefer what he does with Modest Mouse.

I saw The Cribs last night, cracking gig and live they delivered. This albums better than the last but you need to see them.

Don't you feel this all is leading somewhere?
I mean, he could just say: No questions about The Smiths please, as Morrissey has done in the past whilst promoting an album.

If he never mentioned the Smiths, I don't think they would interview Marr alone; if a journo wanted an interview solely concerning the Cribs then it would make more sense to get all the band together and talk to the Jarmans, rather than just, essentially.. their new guitarist.

I haven't really listened to the Cribs. My little sister likes them I think, which is all the more reason to obstain from it.

Back
Top Bottom