The God Squad- Religion obsessives and philosophical types unite!

This is part of the reason why I find agnosticism to be an appropriate category to put myself in. In my opinion, evidence is needed to actually prove the existence of a deity/deities, and to disprove it, but since there doesn't seem to be sufficient evidence either way it makes more sense to me to consider the possibility of both.

This.

Last edited:
Here is a short article one of my best friends wrote some weeks ago. It was translated in google translate so it's not a good translation but hopefully you can understand it anyway :thumb:

Liminalityphobia?

Do not let the title dissuade weird! It will soon become clear what this is about ...

It all follows on from Judaism, one of the world's oldest religions - the foundation of Christianity as well as Islam. As most people are familiar with as there are in Judaism a variety of laws and commandments, in particular with regard to what foods you should eat. It clearly distinguishes between clean and unclean animals, the latter should be avoided. There is also a thought of separation of meat and dairy products, following a call in the Bible that does not boil the kid in his mother's milk. The milk is what would really fed price, so price was to kill and cook it in its own mother's milk must be seen as barbaric, irreverent and deeply cynical.

Many can probably understand these laws and commandments as strange or superstitious. I myself have instead begun to recognize the genius in them.

What is the basis of these bids is as I understand the idea of distinguishing things about and that it is precisely this separation that allows order and life. If we return to memory creation story in the Bible, we read that God creates the world through just to separate things for. He separates light from darkness, water from land and so on. He also distinguishes between water and water, which may seem strange. The issue here is fresh and salt water. We can only drink fresh water. Without fresh water - no life. The distinction between different elements or phenomena thus creates order and the scheme gives life!

Similarly, we need people of a structure or order in our life by creating clear categories, something we do whether we are religious or not. The distinction between pure and impure, meat and milk, are thus in a sense a way to create order in our own microcosm. Somewhere we have people both fear and fascination for what is indeterminate, as it is located between two categories, it is neither. Another word for this is liminality. It is this idea of liminalityphobia comes in, then the fear of that which is undetermined or riding cross works.

To dwell on this with food. I have long felt that there is something very suspicious of soup. With the Jewish philosophy in mind, I note that the soup is liminality. It is not food, the food is in my opinion, solid food. It is obviously not something you drink for drink would not require crunch. Soup is therefore some kind of middle ground - neither food or drink. In other words, no right frightening. And fascinating. Sometimes I eat soup with just this in mind, that I am in and with this act is actually doing something a little forbidden - I revoke dualism between food and drink and bridge two distinct categories.

In this way, the most mundane thing to get quite exciting. Perhaps that is what religion is all about - making life a bit more exciting and magical. Or perhaps seems this post just as crazy?

Here is a short article one of my best friends wrote some weeks ago. It was translated in google translate so it's not a good translation but hopefully you can understand it anyway :thumb:

Liminalityphobia?

Do not let the title dissuade weird! It will soon become clear what this is about ...

It all follows on from Judaism, one of the world's oldest religions - the foundation of Christianity as well as Islam. As most people are familiar with as there are in Judaism a variety of laws and commandments, in particular with regard to what foods you should eat. It clearly distinguishes between clean and unclean animals, the latter should be avoided. There is also a thought of separation of meat and dairy products, following a call in the Bible that does not boil the kid in his mother's milk. The milk is what would really fed price, so price was to kill and cook it in its own mother's milk must be seen as barbaric, irreverent and deeply cynical.

Many can probably understand these laws and commandments as strange or superstitious. I myself have instead begun to recognize the genius in them.

What is the basis of these bids is as I understand the idea of distinguishing things about and that it is precisely this separation that allows order and life. If we return to memory creation story in the Bible, we read that God creates the world through just to separate things for. He separates light from darkness, water from land and so on. He also distinguishes between water and water, which may seem strange. The issue here is fresh and salt water. We can only drink fresh water. Without fresh water - no life. The distinction between different elements or phenomena thus creates order and the scheme gives life!

Similarly, we need people of a structure or order in our life by creating clear categories, something we do whether we are religious or not. The distinction between pure and impure, meat and milk, are thus in a sense a way to create order in our own microcosm. Somewhere we have people both fear and fascination for what is indeterminate, as it is located between two categories, it is neither. Another word for this is liminality. It is this idea of liminalityphobia comes in, then the fear of that which is undetermined or riding cross works.

To dwell on this with food. I have long felt that there is something very suspicious of soup. With the Jewish philosophy in mind, I note that the soup is liminality. It is not food, the food is in my opinion, solid food. It is obviously not something you drink for drink would not require crunch. Soup is therefore some kind of middle ground - neither food or drink. In other words, no right frightening. And fascinating. Sometimes I eat soup with just this in mind, that I am in and with this act is actually doing something a little forbidden - I revoke dualism between food and drink and bridge two distinct categories.

In this way, the most mundane thing to get quite exciting. Perhaps that is what religion is all about - making life a bit more exciting and magical. Or perhaps seems this post just as crazy?

Ooh, very interesting, I enjoyed reading that. I like the idea that religion (in particular the rules and ritualistic aspects of it) helps people to both order their lives and to make them more meaningful and mystical, and think there is a lot of truth in that concept. Thanks for posting, your friend has had some good insights there.

I would say I'm ignostic/agnostic. Whilst I believe there is not enough evidence to prove or disprove God's existence, it is difficult to discuss religion in any capacity without specifying what is meant by "God". :thumb:

It sounds like you're misunderstanding atheism. I can't prove there is no god. However, I also can't prove there are no unicorns. Theres' about as much evidence for one as the other. This does not mean that I should seriously consider the existence of unicorns, or that study or speculation into the nature of unicorns is a legitimate exercise.

On a personal note; I'm just sick to death of religion. It's backward, bigoted, and hateful, and fundamentally incompatible with modern civilization. The human race will be unable to progress past a certain point until we do away with this primitive nonsense.

It sounds like you're misunderstanding atheism. I can't prove there is no god. However, I also can't prove there are no unicorns. Theres' about as much evidence for one as the other. This does not mean that I should seriously consider the existence of unicorns, or that study or speculation into the nature of unicorns is a legitimate exercise.

On a personal note; I'm just sick to death of religion. It's backward, bigoted, and hateful, and fundamentally incompatible with modern civilization. The human race will be unable to progress past a certain point until we do away with this primitive nonsense.

Hmm. I guess there are different types of atheists, so maybe I'm understanding it differently to you, or from another point of view anyway. I just spoke about agnosticism in the way it appears to me, but you do have a valid point.

There are many negatives to religion too, and it's definitely been a cause of or factor in much of the conflict in history. However, I understand the reasons why people are religious, and I think it's certainly something that will continue for the foreseeable future, even if it does ultimately do civilisation more harm than good.

Last edited:

I agree totally but worry, can you imagine what the religeous looneys would be like to live around with no god to keep them in check.:rolleyes:

I think some might argue that to lump all religion together & describe it as you have, is in itself quite backward, bigoted & hateful.

I suppose if you paint a picture, you're not going to spend any time looking in the mirror.

Tags
666 atheist crybaby bananaman fairy tales god of fuck new world order pixies signtology tl;drville worsthread2010
Back
Top Bottom