The Guardian: Neil Morrissey on Morrissey - "Poor bloke" (March 14, 2024)

In a Guardian interview out today (I think), Neil Morrissey is asked
'Do you find it gratifying that you have had two UK No 1 singles, while Morrissey has had none?'
He replies:
'Poor bloke. I do actually feel gratified. It was a turn in my career I never expected. I ended up vicariously on Top of the Pops, even though it was a Bob animation. But listen, Morrissey is still making music, so he can keep trying.'

Seems that what he means by saying 'poor bloke', is that Morrissey hasn't received the recognition he deserves.

Gratified but gracious, fair play.

It seems like the papers and the music magazines always want to put Morrissey down, he can be a dick but surely the focus should be on his music now? 99.9% of musicians have never had a number one anyway and Morrissey has been extremely successful.

It seems like the papers and the music magazines always want to put Morrissey down, he can be a dick but surely the focus should be on his music now? 99.9% of musicians have never had a number one anyway and Morrissey has been extremely successful.

They know he would very much like a number one though - more than most, and for different reasons than most.

1710958884953.png

Sounds like Our Mozi's prison sex fantasy. Must be a Morrissey thing.

Who is Neil Morrissey, is he not known? The poor guy is in my opinion a derogatory way of referring to Morrissey. Morrissey is not a poor guy in reference to music, he is an outstanding artist, it is obvious, he refers to something else.... Who would say Bowie is a poor guy.... or Bono or any very prominent artist. Poor Moz is despised in his country very much

Who is Neil Morrissey, is he not known? The poor guy is in my opinion a derogatory way of referring to Morrissey. Morrissey is not a poor guy in reference to music, he is an outstanding artist, it is obvious, he refers to something else.... Who would say Bowie is a poor guy.... or Bono or any very prominent artist. Poor Moz is despised in his country very much
I think you’re misunderstanding.

neil morrissey was a comedy star in the 90s and did the voice for bob the builder,thus appearing on top of the pops,the annoying thing is whenever i would search for morrissey stuff on ebay he would pop up at the bottom of the page.

Yep, a misunderstanding.
He's just expressing sympathy that he (Neil Morrissey) managed to get a number 1 single before Morrissey did. Also, no attempt to criticise Morrissey for his views as all others do by default these days. And his comment that 'Morrissey is still making music' shows that Neil has at least a casual interest in what Morrissey's up to.
As others have mentioned, Neil Morrissey was a super high-profile actor in the UK back in the 1990s (and to a lesser extent since). He's not my cuppa tea but this is a harmless and vaguely amusing piece.

Last edited:
Did these two Morrisseys ever meet? It's likely they did cross paths somewhere.

Did these two Morrisseys ever meet? It's likely they did cross paths somewhere.
unless M went to see bob the builder live then i cant see it.
i never liked anything he did,he was a bit of a crap comedy actor.

poor guy in the uk would be to feel sorry for someone.

The question was ignorant and aggressive and demeaning and insulting. The answer from Neil was the best he could do. f***ing braindead 'journalists'.

The question was ignorant and aggressive and demeaning and insulting. The answer from Neil was the best he could do. f***ing braindead 'journalists'.

Usually I'd agree with you, but I believe these were questions from the public. They can be equally braindead however.

I rage at the Guardian a lot (amazed they don't block my email) - but that writer hasn't been horrible to Morrissey & he's had the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom