The Guardian: Vini Reilly interview (July 21, 2023)

Rufusindigo

8192.jpg

In his first interview in a decade, the Durutti Column’s hermit-like leader, once described as ‘the best guitarist in the world’, relives his extraordinary life from Manchester gangs to Factory Records.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/21/guitar-hero-vini-reilly-durutti-column-factory-records-interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see that Vini is still hangin' in there, especially after all
the health problems that he had to deal with.
He's made so much great music, so it was kinda sad to hear'em
say that he thinks it's borin'.

Always thought Vini gave the most matter of fact statement about
The Smiths breakin' up:
"I was surprised that Johnny and Morrissey split, because it was
such a perfect partnership. For that to split was unthinkable. It
was crazy."

What an interesting, enjoyable read. Wonderful guitarist. I remember when fans crowdfunded a few thousand pounds to to tide Vini over when he got into debt a few years back – it wasn’t the situation you might expect someone to be in after 20 albums and so long in the industry but he was so grateful. No ego, no arrogance.

If Tony Wilson is to be believed, Morrissey dropped Reilly from the Viva Hate follow-up plans because he considered his demand for a whole £1000 (for his studio input) to be excessive.

The old phrase, about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, was perhaps as applicable to Morrissey as it was to Thatcher.

If Tony Wilson is to be believed, Morrissey dropped Reilly from the Viva Hate follow-up plans because he considered his demand for a whole £1000 (for his studio input) to be excessive.
Yes I remember seeing TW say that in an interview. I was wondering if Morrissey was just unhappy that he was having to negotiate with him over using Vini. I think Morrissey never forgave TW for dismissing his chances during his wilderness years.

Yes I remember seeing TW say that in an interview. I was wondering if Morrissey was just unhappy that he was having to negotiate with him over using Vini. I think Morrissey never forgave TW for dismissing his chances during his wilderness years.
Was Toni Wilson Vini's manager? Why was he negotiating his fee?

Vini's version of why they didn't keep in working together was quite different iirc.

Fantastic guitarist and he would have made many more great records with Morrissey if everything was normal in the world of M...alas, there is no such thing as normal.

The old phrase, about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, was perhaps as applicable to Morrissey as it was to Thatcher.

Morrissey was a real fool, jettisoning both Vini Reilly and Stephen Street over payment.

Stephen Street has said many times that Vini Reilly had become very difficult to work with by the time they came to do the Everyday is Like Sunday b-sides.

Stephen Street has said many times that Vini Reilly had become very difficult to work with by the time they came to do the Everyday is Like Sunday b-sides.
Didn't they (Street/Reilly) also fall out over writing credits? I saw Stephen Street at a Q and A event earlier this year and I think that's where he said Reilly later apologised to him.....

Morrissey was a real fool, jettisoning both Vini Reilly and Stephen Street over payment.
Wasn't there an issue as far as Street was concerned with the reordering of tracks on some album? I seem to recall he felt disrespected or that his work had been undone somehow........saw Stephen Street at a Moz event in Camden earlier this year where there was a Q and A. It didn't sound like it was completely beyond the bounds of possibility that he'd work with him again - and not sure why he'd be there if he wouldn't?

Didn't they (Street/Reilly) also fall out over writing credits? I saw Stephen Street at a Q and A event earlier this year and I think that's where he said Reilly later apologised to him.....
Yeah. Vini claimed that he had written virtually all of "Viva Hate" but it wasn't true and he later apologised and said he had been ill at the time. Julie Hamill did a really nice interview with Vini for her '15 minutes with you...' book, a great read, and Stephen Street then reached out to Vini on the back of that and they made amends. Here's a snippet posted previously on solo:

"I want to talk about Stephen Street about whom I’ve said wrong things in the past; this is not an excuse, this is fact, I have suffered from what they call ‘displaced anger’ and this is where you’re very angry with yourself and you don’t understand, you just shout at people you really care about. Stephen Street, I’ve got to tell you, you will never find a nicer man. He is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life. Endless patience, his skills are astonishing, his ability to hear… all those skills, a fabulous result. I loved the guy."

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wasn't there an issue as far as Street was concerned with the reordering of tracks on some album? I seem to recall he felt disrespected or that his work had been undone somehow........saw Stephen Street at a Moz event in Camden earlier this year where there was a Q and A. It didn't sound like it was completely beyond the bounds of possibility that he'd work with him again - and not sure why he'd be there if he wouldn't?
I think that was about the Viva Hate reissue.

Back
Top Bottom