The Smiths A-Z: "I Misses You"

BookishBoy

Next up in our A-Z project is this unreleased instrumental, recorded in 1984 - given a title by Morrissey, and apparently lyrics too.

What do we think?

Hm. Wouldn't particularly mind if I never heard that again.

Not a bad tune from Johnny and I agree that it had the potential to become something worthwhile.

I haven't heard about Morrissey having actually written any lyrics (Simon Goddard's book suggests that, "Morrissey may have had lyrics in mind."), but wouldn't it be nice.

It's nothing to get too excited about, but a small sign of what Johnny was working on between Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead.

I always thought that this sounds a bit like Sade...all that jazzy bass and funky guitar. The Smiths do soft jazz! What I'd give for a Morrissey cover of 'Smooth Operator'!

Does anyone know why it's called I misses You?
I always wondered just what did the names mean for the instrumentals?
were they messages to johnny?
Joke titels?

I can definitely here a couple of riffs from other smiths song on this, just can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

"I Misses You" with vocals and lyrics by a Moz tribute singer, not bad...

I agree, not bad at all.

I've seen it slammed a lot in the archives on this forum, but it doesn't have to be perfect to illustrate what might have been.

Rather than his own lyrics, though I can't help but wish he nicked some of Morrissey's own.

In a strange way, you'd then have a final Morrissey/Marr song . . .

It has the familiar guitar sound, to me it is a bit of a slowed down Barbaris, with a bit of Heaven know, and a bit of the other instrumentals. But hearing the music without vocals, it misses some dynami.

interesting. I didn’t know Johnny was famous for ‘those rolling and warm chords’.

Why? If you want anyone to watch something in relation to their post comment, then include a link and the minute to watch from.
Quilloughby?
Try harder if you want to know more about the way Morrissey thinks about Marr's guitar style an watch the docu before you you say careless things about other's comments.
Yes, Quilloughby. He should release "I misses you" as a single. I heard the track (with vocals) above and immediately thought: This is Quilloughby. Dontcha?

Show me where in that doc that proves that Marr was ‘ famous for those rolling warm chords’.
& just because Morrissey says so, doesn’t make it true.
try harder, Prank.
I guess you may want to contact the writers of that cartoon. Though I believe they denied the character is Morrissey, so they probably will say no to your idea.
Why so angry and grumpy? Free speech etc....
And why don't you find out for yourself?

interesting. I didn’t know Johnny was famous for ‘those rolling and warm chords’.
Are you honestly saying that you don't recognise Johnny Marr's "trademark" sound - the distinctive chiming, 'rolling' arpeggio style that he is known for?

Last edited:
Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom