The Smiths & Morrissey Rarities / FB Group: Recent photo of "Have-A-Go Merchant" promo cover star

Screenshot_20240403-002912.png

FB_IMG_1712100569701.jpg

Cover star of Have-A-Go Merchant.
The image was first published in Nick Knight's 1982 book "Skinhead".
Said page:

Screenshot_20240403-004059.png

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes - but the archives are real. There's pictures, letters, articles, diaries, placards... people still around who are willing to do interviews & find more stuff.

I was just looking into Morrissey press & then found mountains of other stuff - so now it's the intersection between gay culture, popular culture, and fringe politics.

There was nothing gay/camp on the rockin scene then............there is now......I've seen events with gay rockin DJ's and events with drag queens but not then. Nigel Lewis from the Meteors has come out as a TS and I'm pretty sure Colbert Hamilton from the Nitro's who Gary Day once played with is gay.........

There was nothing gay/camp on the rockin scene then............there is now......I've seen events with gay rockin DJ's and events with drag queens but not then. Nigel Lewis from the Meteors has come out as a TS and I'm pretty sure Colbert Hamilton from the Nitro's who Gary Day once played with is gay.........

You might not have noticed it - but it was there.

Academics have been so frightened of skinheads that they haven't touched it.

But it's fascinating.

One minute they're rioting, next minute they're an extra on Sid & Nancy.

Academics have been so frightened of skinheads that they haven't touched it.

But it's fascinating.

One minute they're rioting, next minute they're an extra on Sid & Nancy.

They really aren't. They were twat*. They looked like shi*. Oi was shi*. The off-shoots were shi*.

There's nothing to be guilty about. It's an interesting scene.
Of course. I meant ‘guilt’ in the sense that he knew them, worked with those directors, and you drawing your connection between him and that culture.
I think he was using gay skinhead imagery.

really? Hmmm, maybe I missed some of the ones he used, I don’t remember any of them
being particularly gay.

which of the skinhead images would you label as ‘gay’ ?

& I think he was very brave to do that at a time when people were more comfortable with gay sexuality as something girly or exotic - over there - being funny or worthy in way that could not possibly lead you to wonder if you were a bit like that.
:unsure:

I was on the rockabilly and psychobilly scene in the late 80's and there were absolutely nothing gay or camp about the people involved.

don’t you think it’s a bit camp to dress up and play pretend, no matter how serious one is about the expression of their identity?

To an extent. The haircuts weren't. Rockabilly's and rockers always looked better. I can't remember Moz ever shaving his head......can you? Apart from that one-off short haircut in 95,
Definitely agree there. The rockabillys have always had the best hair. Morrissey looked his best around 1994-1995, the reissue of Southpaw Grammar being one prime example. But the short hair was in 1997! The Alma video, remember? I think he rocked it. But Moz with a shaved head? Something from another dimension!

Definitely agree there. The rockabillys have always had the best hair. Morrissey looked his best around 1994-1995, the reissue of Southpaw Grammar being one prime example. But the short hair was in 1997! The Alma video, remember? I think he rocked it. But Moz with a shaved head? Something from another dimension!

I stand corrected on the year.

When you were in the mosh-pit.........that wasn't on your mind.

they started mosh-pits at rockabilly and psychobilly shows?
Well maybe pyschobilly shows, but I thought rockabilly folk were more refined.

Anyway, all that dressing up and setting yourself apart from others, is pretty camp.

The hub of psycho in London was a place called the Klub Foot.....there was a story of a black National Front guy who went there once and had the shi* kicked out of him.....I know....very odd.

Yes it is an odd name for a club, but clever.

Of course. I meant ‘guilt’ in the sense that he knew them, worked with those directors, and you drawing your connection between him and that culture.

really? Hmmm, maybe I missed some of the ones he used, I don’t remember any of them
being particularly gay.

which of the skinhead images would you label as ‘gay’ ?

:unsure:

Imagery is what a director does.

I think the vibe he was going for - was attractive male energy & girls defying gender roles.

But he did send a postcard of an actual gay skinhead.

(Barry from Brighton, where are you now?)

Also - look at this bloody annoying bit from a 1994 article on gay pop in Time Out -

20240119_2034424870541851645188360.jpg

Hundreds of inflammatory articles & accusations all because they want to know about his sex life.

That is the British press in a nutshell.

Back
Top Bottom