The Tortured Poets Department.

Wailer Swift thinks she's a 'tortured poet,' according to her next album title. Hilarious! Her cringe-worthy 'poetry' is certainly tortuous, at least:

'And so I enter into evidence / My tarnished coat of arms / My muses, acquired like bruises / My talismans and charms / The tick, tick, tick of love bombs / My veins of pitch black ink / All's fair in love and poetry…'

Talk about mongrel doggerel! Hilarious.

Last edited:
Wailer Swift thinks she's a 'tortured poet,' according to her next album title. Hilarious! Her cringe-worthy 'poetry' is certainly tortuous, at least:

'And so I enter into evidence / My tarnished coat of arms / My muses, acquired like bruises / My talismans and charms / The tick, tick, tick of love bombs / My veins of pitch black ink / All's fair in love and poetry…'

Talk about mongrel doggerel! Hilarious.

You know the audience she caters to right? *** People that will outgrow her music. Curiously, that could indeed be the reason for Swift's prolific musical/performance output in the last several years - working that same generation of kids until they eventually grow and discover themselves and then move on to other artists who say more to them. Money making machine through and through.

God I'm bored of people who sneer at Taylor Swift. She's great and The Tortured Poets Department as an album title is clearly a joke at her own expense. Sure, she doesn't write lyrics like early-mid period Morrissey did, but very few can. (And by very few, I mean none.)

If you're not moved by this song, at the very least, there might be something wrong with you...

Time won't fly, it's like I'm paralyzed by it
I'd like to be my old self again, but I'm still trying to find it
After plaid shirt days and nights when you made me your own
Now you mail back my things and I walk home alone
But you keep my old scarf from that very first week
'Cause it reminds you of innocence and it smells like me
You can't get rid of it, 'cause you remember it all too well, yeah
'Cause there we are again, when I loved you so
Back before you lost the one real thing you've ever known
It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well
Wind in my hair, you were there, you remember it all
Down the stairs, you were there, you remember it all

God I'm bored of people who sneer at Taylor Swift. She's great and The Tortured Poets Department as an album title is clearly a joke at her own expense. Sure, she doesn't write lyrics like early-mid period Morrissey did, but very few can. (And by very few, I mean none.)

If you're not moved by this song, at the very least, there might be something wrong with you...

I agree - I have a daughter who has been a Swiftie for years - so I have had to listen to her music. Some of her early lyrics in particular are good and the recent Folklore and Evermore albums are pretty decent too.

Leonard Cohen's got nothing on her!

Meh meh meh. Why is there a thread about TS on Morrissey Solo. 🥴
She made a song called Shake it Off, and he seems to be playing with that at the end of Every Day is Like Sunday here. It’s cued up to where he starts doing it.

You know the audience she caters to right? *** People that will outgrow her music. Curiously, that could indeed be the reason for Swift's prolific musical/performance output in the last several years - working that same generation of kids until they eventually grow and discover themselves and then move on to other artists who say more to them. Money making machine through and through.

As a counterpoint, I would offer that I'm lucky enough to be married to an extremely accomplished, keenly intelligent woman in her mid-forties. She has discovered herself and then some. She also has followed TS since the late Aughts and her passion has only increased with the years. And it's clear from social media that she is the rule, not the exception, when it comes to TS's fandom.

It's also worth pointing out that outside observers have laid the same claim about younger Smiths/Morrissey fans for decades, i.e., they'll eventually outgrow his music. Tell that to the people in their late fifties pashernately throwing themselves up against the barricades of a Morrissey concert in 2023. 🤷‍♂️

The bridge of the song is especially awful. I hate that it's stuck in my head now.
I like some of her songs. Shake it off is one of them. I remember I was high when I listened to it on one of the rare occasions I’ve gotten high, and I was dancing on the seat in the back of the car. I was going through a bad time, and the song helped me to enjoy myself.

I like some of her songs. Shake it off is one of them. I remember I was high when I listened to it on one of the rare occasions I’ve gotten high, and I was dancing on the seat in the back of the car. I was going through a bad time, and the song helped me to enjoy myself.
That's a great story. :) I use to listen to this song too but I always would turn it off on the bridge :( it just never grew on me.

As a counterpoint, I would offer that I'm lucky enough to be married to an extremely accomplished, keenly intelligent woman in her mid-forties. She has discovered herself and then some. She also has followed TS since the late Aughts and her passion has only increased with the years. And it's clear from social media that she is the rule, not the exception, when it comes to TS's fandom.

It's also worth pointing out that outside observers have laid the same claim about younger Smiths/Morrissey fans for decades, i.e., they'll eventually outgrow his music. Tell that to the people in their late fifties pashernately throwing themselves up against the barricades of a Morrissey concert in 2023. 🤷‍♂️

That's great. That is totally fair because initially she was a country/crossover artist and had a wider variety of people respecting her music, and at that time she certainly attracted older fans who ended up following her career (I know a woman in her early 70s who that is true for). I'm glad your wife is a loyal fan of hers all the same, but I've seen who the people are that jump up on stage and call themselves 'Swifties', and I've seen how old they are (hint: they aren't quite voting-age [in USA] yet).

I don't have an issue with Taylor Swift at all, and would hope that she eventually does a world of good with all of her money (with billions $$$ in the bank you'd be able to fix cleft-palates for thousands of kids globally for example and still own four homes). I just don't feel any attraction to her music.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned money, I read that they are charging fans about 16 pounds to rent her concert video, with no option to buy. That doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom