The Very Best Of Sound

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
I've been soaking this up, like a fly in milk, for the last few days now, and I just wanted to say how smashing the 'new' CD sounds. After the sterling work done by Bill Inglot on 'Bona Drag' last year my hopes were high for the remastering of the old stuff included in The Very Best.
The first 2011 remaster is 'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side' which sounds just as great as it always did. Beefier (no offence), yes, just not noticeably altered. But then it fades into (as with 'Bona Drag' Redux all the tracks fade into one another. No gaps here. Why? Cos he's a funny old duck, that's why) 'The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get' and you really here the brilliance. The case has to be made that this is Morrissey's greatest pop single, and it's just never sounded so astonishing as here. It begins with those three guitars, Alain playing that riff, greater than God, in your right ear, Boz playing the jangly bit in your left ear, Boz again strumming the acoustic right between your eyes, and Gary kicks in somewhere around the top of your spine/base of your gullet. Then in the post-'YEAH!' sections of the song there's another glittering guitar line sprinkled like a rainbow, arching across your brain. I know. I just said 'sprinkled like a rainbow'. But I don't care, that's what it sounds like. It's bloody great!
And then Morrissey arrives with that sly velvet taunt of a vocal. You'll be in a puddle. On the floor. I promise.
Obviously it's a testament to Lillywhite's original class production, but it's just never sounded so....sprinkly. And rainbowy.
Next up is 'Glamorous Glue' which now sounds like the dirty glam glass in the face it always threatened to be. After Morrissey delivers each line that great wide gash of guitar bursts in like a pretty punch in the ears. And the slides sound like they're coming down all the way from heaven. Or hell. Or Hull ~ Ronson would be proud. Thunderously thrilling.
'The Girl Least Likely Too' sounds even more than ever like The Smiths single that just never was, and that {Kevin Armstrong?} guitar solo at the end sounds glorious. And it fades into...the 'Suedehead' fade-in! Which has been restored on this album having been excised from last years 'Bona Drag'. Reason enough to buy 'TVBOM', I should say ;)
Next up is 'Tomorrow' which is a remaster of the Steve Peck "US mix". It's a tad too muscular and...90s...for my taste, and I miss the mournful little piano waltz coda. But it packs a punch for sure, and I did find myself listening in some strange amazement as I realised that a little over twelve months prior to recording this song originally, Morrissey would have been recording 'Kill Uncle'. Which I, personally, love; but still and all...the change, the change!
'Boxers' truly shines gem-like, as the doleful little South London pugilist pop drama it always was. The Morrissey vocal is right there in your head, front and centre; narrating and empathising, bittersweet and lowdown.
Meanwhile...'My Love Life' the lovely long version, from the US single, is up next. To me, here, it finally teeters over the brink of a shimmering sublimity it had only previously promised hopefully! It's like a sunlit dream of a melancholic pop symphony. Perfect to put on repeat for these balmy British Easter afternoons. I had always wished that they had turned up that cracking Hammond organ on this track. And now they have. And extended it! It's always stood out for me as an oddity in the Morrissey cannon in it's hazy, dreamlike structure and sound. It just seems to...arrive, float around languidly, and then slip away again. Evanescent in a way (chart-wise certainly) but always lingering in the mind. John Peel once said he liked it very much because it sounded very like The Smiths. I don't see it myself. But I still love it. It still seems an underrated song - stuck fast and lame in the no-mans land between the sickly pallor of 'Kill Uncle' and the bruising vigour of 'Your Arsenal'.
'Break Up The Family' sounds...very nice. Just like it did on 'Viva Hate'. Don't really know why it's on here, but it sounds...very nice, nonetheless.
I didn't think they could do much to better 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty'. After all it's mainly a piano and a vocal, what's to remaster? But, if anything, it's even more of a showstopper now. A true Moz chanson. {David Bret will wet himself} I'd never really noticed the bass underpinning the song before now, and the piano keys seem to be hitting harder in a 'My Way' kind of way. Morrissey's silken vocal just glides across the top of it all. The previous versions just sound a little anaemic to me now.
Going back to what I said earlier about the seemingly vast gulf between 'Kill Uncle' and 'Tomorrow' etc, you can kind of see how he got himself out of that supposed funk that he was in during 'KU'. The twin green shoots of 'My Love Life' and 'Guilty' sprouting in that summer of 1991 at least gives you a sense of Morrissey coming back to life again.
The Siouxsie-less 'Interlude' sounds gorgeous, although I do miss the contrast of that duet. It's not listed as a 2011 remaster as I suppose this version was never properly released before, but it's nice to have the solo rendition in a proper, non-bootleg sounding version.
The Nile-length 'Moonriver' sounds just perfect as you can hear every subtle detail of Lillywhite's original widescreen production, including Peggy Evans beseeching Dirk Bogarde 'Whatcha gonner do? at the songs end.
That final track emphasises what is so wonderous about the sound of these remasters - it's not a 'loudness', it's an expansion and separation. It underscores the brilliance of the original productions, making you hear them in a new light.
Obviously one can pooh-pooh the motives of this release, the chart-placings, the company touting, etcetera. But the fact is it reminded me how glorious these individual songs are, and these are the best they have ever sounded.

Full remastering programme.
Please.
NOW!

I've been soaking this up, like a fly in milk, for the last few days now, and I just wanted to say how smashing the 'new' CD sounds. After the sterling work done by Bill Inglot on 'Bona Drag' last year my hopes were high for the remastering of the old stuff included in The Very Best.
The first 2011 remaster is 'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side' which sounds just as great as it always did. Beefier (no offence), yes, just not noticeably altered. But then it fades into (as with 'Bona Drag' Redux all the tracks fade into one another. No gaps here. Why? Cos he's a funny old duck, that's why) 'The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get' and you really here the brilliance. The case has to be made that this is Morrissey's greatest pop single, and it's just never sounded so astonishing as here. It begins with those three guitars, Alain playing that riff, greater than God, in your right ear, Boz playing the jangly bit in your left ear, Boz again strumming the acoustic right between your eyes, and Gary kicks in somewhere around the top of your spine/base of your gullet. Then in the post-'YEAH!' sections of the song there's another glittering guitar line sprinkled like a rainbow, arching across your brain. I know. I just said 'sprinkled like a rainbow'. But I don't care, that's what it sounds like. It's bloody great!
And then Morrissey arrives with that sly velvet taunt of a vocal. You'll be in a puddle. On the floor. I promise.
Obviously it's a testament to Lillywhite's original class production, but it's just never sounded so....sprinkly. And rainbowy.
Next up is 'Glamorous Glue' which now sounds like the dirty glam glass in the face it always threatened to be. After Morrissey delivers each line that great wide gash of guitar bursts in like a pretty punch in the ears. And the slides sound like they're coming down all the way from heaven. Or hell. Or Hull ~ Ronson would be proud. Thunderously thrilling.
'The Girl Least Likely Too' sounds even more than ever like The Smiths single that just never was, and that {Kevin Armstrong?} guitar solo at the end sounds glorious. And it fades into...the 'Suedehead' fade-in! Which has been restored on this album having been excised from last years 'Bona Drag'. Reason enough to buy 'TVBOM', I should say ;)
Next up is 'Tomorrow' which is a remaster of the Steve Peck "US mix". It's a tad too muscular and...90s...for my taste, and I miss the mournful little piano waltz coda. But it packs a punch for sure, and I did find myself listening in some strange amazement as I realised that a little over twelve months prior to recording this song originally, Morrissey would have been recording 'Kill Uncle'. Which I, personally, love; but still and all...the change, the change!
'Boxers' truly shines gem-like, as the doleful little South London pugilist pop drama it always was. The Morrissey vocal is right there in your head, front and centre; narrating and empathising, bittersweet and lowdown.
Meanwhile...'My Love Life' the lovely long version, from the US single, is up next. To me, here, it finally teeters over the brink of a shimmering sublimity it had only previously promised hopefully! It's like a sunlit dream of a melancholic pop symphony. Perfect to put on repeat for these balmy British Easter afternoons. I had always wished that they had turned up that cracking Hammond organ on this track. And now they have. And extended it! It's always stood out for me as an oddity in the Morrissey cannon in it's hazy, dreamlike structure and sound. It just seems to...arrive, float around languidly, and then slip away again. Evanescent in a way (chart-wise certainly) but always lingering in the mind. John Peel once said he liked it very much because it sounded very like The Smiths. I don't see it myself. But I still love it. It still seems an underrated song - stuck fast and lame in the no-mans land between the sickly pallor of 'Kill Uncle' and the bruising vigour of 'Your Arsenal'.
'Break Up The Family' sounds...very nice. Just like it did on 'Viva Hate'. Don't really know why it's on here, but it sounds...very nice, nonetheless.
I didn't think they could do much to better 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty'. After all it's mainly a piano and a vocal, what's to remaster? But, if anything, it's even more of a showstopper now. A true Moz chanson. {David Bret will wet himself} I'd never really noticed the bass underpinning the song before now, and the piano keys seem to be hitting harder in a 'My Way' kind of way. Morrissey's silken vocal just glides across the top of it all. The previous versions just sound a little anaemic to me now.
Going back to what I said earlier about the seemingly vast gulf between 'Kill Uncle' and 'Tomorrow' etc, you can kind of see how he got himself out of that supposed funk that he was in during 'KU'. The twin green shoots of 'My Love Life' and 'Guilty' sprouting in that summer of 1991 at least gives you a sense of Morrissey coming back to life again.
The Siouxsie-less 'Interlude' sounds gorgeous, although I do miss the contrast of that duet. It's not listed as a 2011 remaster as I suppose this version was never properly released before, but it's nice to have the solo rendition in a proper, non-bootleg sounding version.
The Nile-length 'Moonriver' sounds just perfect as you can hear every subtle detail of Lillywhite's original widescreen production, including Peggy Evans beseeching Dirk Bogarde 'Whatcha gonner do? at the songs end.
That final track emphasises what is so wonderous about the sound of these remasters - it's not a 'loudness', it's an expansion and separation. It underscores the brilliance of the original productions, making you hear them in a new light.
Obviously one can pooh-pooh the motives of this release, the chart-placings, the company touting, etcetera. But the fact is it reminded me how glorious these individual songs are, and these are the best they have ever sounded.

Please.
NOW!

Hi Joe,

Informative as ever.... So the Vauxhall era tracks sound less "muddled" now? Hmm if they do remaster that one I'm in.

Interesting to hear Suedehead's intro has been restored and the tracks fade into one another. Unsure if I like that or not. Still sounds quite invigorating, just wish he'd have put one KU track on there (Sing Your Life, Mute Witness or Our Frank or even Pregnant) as a historical reference

Can I ask what system you're listening on? I'm about to get a new system myself so could do with some pointers (and what speaker cable cord?)

Please.
NOW!

You've almost made me want to buy it, now. I wasn't going to bother, (although I would like the Jonathon Ross performance).
Anyway, I would agree that Ignore me is a contender for Morrissey's greatest single. What a delicious guitar line! I never tire of this song...wonderful. :thumb:

So, 'The Very Best of Morrissey'...

Just got it on vinyl. The etching says 'Ask For Toughie', I dunno if it's been mentioned yet elsewhere.
Either way, no visible 'pull-out poster', and I was expecting to get the DVD, too. Unless they want me to fashion the record sleeves into a poster, as fetching as the Sacha Distel picture of him is...

Last edited:
Re: So, 'The Very Best of Morrissey'...

Joe, well well well, I had no idea.

Hi Joe,

Informative as ever.... So the Vauxhall era tracks sound less "muddled" now? Hmm if they do remaster that one I'm in.

Interesting to hear Suedehead's intro has been restored and the tracks fade into one another. Unsure if I like that or not. Still sounds quite invigorating, just wish he'd have put one KU track on there (Sing Your Life, Mute Witness or Our Frank or even Pregnant) as a historical reference

Can I ask what system you're listening on? I'm about to get a new system myself so could do with some pointers (and what speaker cable cord?)

Got to be headphones, and i'd say if, "Gary kicks in at he top of your spine", then Grado headphones at that.

I'm about to get a new system myself so could do with some pointers (and what speaker cable cord?)

I have spent thousands of dollars putting my system together and use simple Radio Shack cables and Home Depot speaker/electric cord. Don't waste your money.

Did Dan Hersch also contribute to the remastering on this one? He usually works alongside Bill Inglot on remastering projects, as was the case with The Very Best of the Smiths and the 2001 Best of Morrissey compilation.

It's been mentioned that Morrissey's entire back catalog has already been remastered and is waiting to be released. If you do a search on the Steve Hoffman forums you'll find some info.

I'm all for remastering and improving the sound - but why fade each track into one another. It's a pet hate. That I hate.

I was dissapointed how crisp and clear everything sounded on the bona drag reissue. It didn't have that 80's characteristic that I love. It makes it sound like it's a new recording. Not good

I've been soaking this up, like a fly in milk, for the last few days now, and I just wanted to say how smashing the 'new' CD sounds.

On first listen, I've noticed the short spoken piece towards the end of Glamorous Glue, and the echoes on Tomorrow. The videos for both these songs are amongst his best. I presume that the single was chosen as an address to all that's been happening in England recently. It's a nice package to have.

I was dissapointed how crisp and clear everything sounded on the bona drag reissue. It didn't have that 80's characteristic that I love. It makes it sound like it's a new recording. Not good

That is the point of remastering.

It's been mentioned that Morrissey's entire back catalog has already been remastered and is waiting to be released. If you do a search on the Steve Hoffman forums you'll find some info.

That's what they said about The Smiths' back catalogue as well...

Well, Marr's been wanting to do THAT one for sometime.
It seems inane that they would JUST remaster the select tracks for this compilation.

According to Marr, he DID remaster all the albums when he worked on "Sound of The Smiths"...

According to Marr, he DID remaster all the albums when he worked on "Sound of The Smiths"...

Stephen Street also said that he and Marr were remastering the albums. Which brings up the question of why the recent Smiths compilation was remastered by someone else ...

Stephen Street also said that he and Marr were remastering the albums. Which brings up the question of why the recent Smiths compilation was remastered by someone else ...

Maybe so Warner can cash in on releasing the remasters for the 30th anniversary of the first album? Or perhaps they don't think it would be cost effective to release them after the lackluster sales of 'SoTS'. Who knows.

I'm so goddamned tired of this remastering bullshit.

It's nice to have official revisitings of the old songs but ultimately, Jesus, 1986 is only going to happen once. How many people are going to keep falling for it? The songs are still the songs. When The Beatles stuff came out a few years back, it sounded great, but if I'd never heard those new versions I would not have felt like I'd missed anything.

What is wrong with these people, what is this obsession with audio necrophilia? Are we that desperate to relive and reinvent the past?

The whole concept of remastering and re-releasing is kind of moot at this point, anyone who can operate Soundforge can do it at home -at least, well enough for 98 percent of listeners to not be able to pass the Pepsi challenge- and disseminate it online to the same audience within weeks. For free.

Unless you are tacking on some string of holy grail rarities, what is the ultimate goal here?

I re-did Kill Uncle a few months ago and you know what? Sounds 100 times better but it's still Kill Uncle. The good songs are still the good songs and the weak ones are still the weak ones...only louder and with crisper highs and deeper bass.

Please.
NOW!

A space between paragraphs. Please.

Anyone else a bit miffed that the studio version of 'Jack the Ripper' has been overlooked yet again?

Back
Top Bottom