This Charming Man - Butchered

I like the new version.
It would be a bit sad if Moz was going round playing songs from almost 25 years note for note of how they sound on the record. Might aswell join onto one of those dreadful 80's nostalgia tours where everyone comes out and plays there hits exactly how they sound on the record.

It's down to the current guitarists not being able to play it. Admittely neither of them are Johnny but if Moz asked them to I'm sure they could master the guitar line to This Charming Man fairly easily. It's really not that difficult.

I like the new version.
It would be a bit sad if Moz was going round playing songs from almost 25 years note for note of how they sound on the record. Might aswell join onto one of those dreadful 80's nostalgia tours where everyone comes out and plays there hits exactly how they sound on the record.

It's down to the current guitarists not being able to play it. Admittely neither of them are Johnny but if Moz asked them to I'm sure they could master the guitar line to This Charming Man fairly easily. It's really not that difficult.

The voice of reason... from Tipton!

You're absolutely correct. I had forgotten how wonderful the song "Pigeon" is...Vini Reilly is a genius.

However, I think both his songwriting and playing is, in a sense, "way out there." Too much for many Morrissey fans, and even Morrissey himself, to truly appreciate.

The quality of Moz songs that Vini wrote are just brilliant and equal to any Smiths material in my opinion. Stephen Street will say he wrote them, but it was Vini.

I dig this new version......I think it sounds great and I hope to hear it live during the upcoming shows.

I love it. Just the sheer fact that he played this song gave me goosebumps.
I never thought I would see the day that he would actually play this live. I'm just glad that I know that he will most likely play it on the upcoming tour, otherwise I would probably collapse on the floor of the Royal Albert Hall when he'd start singing. :blushing:

The quality of Moz songs that Vini wrote are just brilliant and equal to any Smiths material in my opinion. Stephen Street will say he wrote them, but it was Vini.

sorry... a little O/T, but I had to respond to your statement about Vini. Did you check out Stephen Street's website? It puts a dent in Vini's argument.

I think moz wanted to sound this song soundin different(loud/punky) ot be "able" to sing it. and not playing ir in its orginal tune.so much memories/bagage prob ? im sure jese could be able to play the intro..even though there were much critism on him Im sure he could have manage to play the orginal version but was "not allowed too"
such as the same reason that he changes lyrics of songs often sung he did this diff/punky version of it,,,also since the YOR has a pretty loud sound compared to other albums he wanted that "tcm" sounded similary to fit in within the yor and southpaw album probably
for one am happy to hear him sing this particular song after such a long time (he has said repeately he would never play it again)even though yes the way johnny plays it and with tTHAT unmistakeable intro that would be excellent but
...I for one suggest: ignore the music and concentrate on moz on that one version of this song..and be happy that he sing it and cherish the orginal version(ie playing ot on your homestereo)

Having wrote what I just did on the 'Moz Wossy 13 Feb' thread I think that you make some valid points. I generally dismissed the band and their version but agree with you that this version fits with the current 'new style', so allowances should be made.

Thanks for this post, I appreciate it.

I think if one Smiths song should have been left alone, that was the one.

:straightface:

I must say that I'm glad that they didn't try to recreate the original version, because that would have been a futile attempt. They tried a different approach instead, and I think it was quite refreshing and surprising. It probably wouldn't have worked as a studio recording, but it worked very well in the context of the show.
Agree. It is a stripped down, bass driven cover of an iconic Smiths song. Well done. Thank goodness they didn't try to recreate the original version. Let someone else do that.

Last edited:
I am now fully convinced that Moz's voice isn't "getting old" its his bands fault.
Now, the band is good, don't get me wrong, but....

My theory is..
Listen to all the songs from the JR show..you'll notice that the only song (in my opinion) that Morrissey has excellent vocals on is Seasick. I believe that's because he doesn't have to fight to be heard over the insanely loud guitars.

Please note:
The fact that I just said "insanely loud guitars" is kind of scary. Am I officially an old bat? :crazy:

=)

I am now fully convinced that Moz's voice isn't "getting old" its his bands fault.
Now, the band is good, don't get me wrong, but....

My theory is..
Listen to all the songs from the JR show..you'll notice that the only song (in my opinion) that Morrissey has excellent vocals on is Seasick. I believe that's because he doesn't have to fight to be heard over the insanely loud guitars.

Please note:
The fact that I just said "insanely loud guitars" is kind of scary. Am I officially an old bat? :crazy:

=)

yeah I agree that the music over powers the vocals sometimes. However, I think it's slightly harsh to say it's the band's "fault".

It seems to be some fans are living in a time warp...wanting silly reunions and comparing latest versions to old ones.

He's middle aged.He has a different band.Its 2009.not the 1980's.I wish it was the 1980's because I was young and carefree then.:rolleyes:

I love the way that any weakness musically always gets laid at the feet of 'the band.'

Look Morrissey is an extreemly strong individual, his self determination is a feat of quite staggering proportions.

A band is essentially a kind of gang, yeah? And every gang has a leader.

Morrissey is unquestionably the leader of this gang. If he doesn't like you you're gone, nice and quick. His ruthlessness in such matters has been well documented in the past. This is not a criticism BTW, in fact I quite like it as a trait. If it's not working you're gone, no messing pal.

Nice, I wish I could be as definitive in my own life.

Sooooo.............it must be assumed that Morrissey likes what his band do live, must like the songs Jesse writes etc or he simply wouldn't have them around.

So if you don't like it then you actually only have one person to criticise and that's Morrissey because he makes the decisions.

Why is that never mentioned?

Just as a small aside the I listen to TCM the more I like this new interpretation. It's really good!

Confirmation that Jesse cannot play guitar, only chug out a few bar chords.

Long live Johnny Marr

Sad, but true.

I have to agree

i think its just an attempt at something new for the song and it fails .fails badly.

Yah serious.
If you're going to shock us with this Charming Man,
why not do it properly?

meh

You are all intelligent goddesses!! <3

Original > Current

The new version of This Charming Man is pure and absolute SHIT!!!

I almost puked while listening to/watching it...

It's, like, something Emotards would totally be into :rolleyes:

f***ing Sick!!!!!!!

*goes off to start the Official Jessie Tubbyass Hate Thread in The 'Sty* seething hatred!!!!!!!!

You are all intelligent goddesses!! <3

Original > Current

The new version of This Charming Man is pure and absolute SHIT!!!

I almost puked while listening to/watching it...

It's, like, something Emotards would totally be into :rolleyes:

f***ing Sick!!!!!!!

*goes off to start the Official Jessie Tubbyass Hate Thread in The 'Sty* seething hatred!!!!!!!!

Then you would concur that it is Morrissey's fault as he is the band leader and decides on what is played and how it is played and also who is hired and who is fired?

It seems to be some fans are living in a time warp...wanting silly reunions and comparing latest versions to old ones.

He's middle aged.He has a different band.Its 2009.not the 1980's.I wish it was the 1980's because I was young and carefree then.:rolleyes:

see, this kind of comment bothers me a little I only picked this one hellie cause it was handy I am sure there are ten more, basically if you comment somewhat negativly on the band you are harping for The Smiths or the "lads" band, I am not saying that, I mostly like Morrissey's band. I personally feel the sound is too loud, thrashy and messy, it sounds disjointed. Now at the latter end of Mikey being in the band the band was AMAZING, tight, well rehearsed sounding, they sounded like a BAND. Like they belonged as a group. This lot, not so much. That is all I am saying. Not that they should not be playing Classic Smiths or anything like that. Just tighten it up a bit boys PLEASE!

Tags
better than the original bicycle still punctured buy a new blouse emotard crap original > new version split decision
Back
Top Bottom