Uses of The Smiths/Morrissey songs on talent/reality shows

Tom Fahey

I was wondering if anyone knows of any uses of Smiths or Morrissey songs on talent or reality tv shows, I have seen a video of a girl singing ask on the voice and was wondering if there are others

I was wondering if anyone knows of any uses of Smiths or Morrissey songs on talent or reality tv shows, I have seen a video of a girl singing ask on the voice and was wondering if there are others

Interesting question. I think this is the performance you are referring to:

In America, where I reside, I really only watch one musical talent show (of which I am not ashamed to admit, although maybe I should be) American Idol. Unfortunately, The Smith or even Morrissey really never made it into the pantheon of pop music, for better or worse, which has been argued endlessly and pointlessly here forever.

Pop music from the Eighties is generally viewed as kitsch. They will have an episode dedicated to that period, but without the slightest recognition of the vocal talent that existed above the catchy music. Annie Lennox off the top of my head comes to mind. What a great female vocalist, but it doesn't ring the commercial register required to produce these shows.

They are given a narrow list of artists to choose from because after all they are selling teeth whitening toothpaste and not really trying to bring to light the next great voice unless they can fit into the mold that the advertisers have created. A bit like watching a caged bird sing, but if given the sky how much more beautiful might the music be? I can guarantee you only one thing, we will never know.

Morr American Idol.jpg

As far as I know, no Morrissey/Smiths song has ever been used on American Idol. Is it really so strange? I say no, you say yes and you will change your mind.

I would love to know if they are cleared for use on the show.

does harry hill on stars in their eyes count.

Back
Top Bottom