Vauxhall and I

S

SRA

as great an album as it is, does anyone else it's a little bit over-rated?

Most seem to herald it as by far his best album, no doubt it has some stand out tracks of his career, "Now My Heart is Full", "Why Dont You Find Out For Yourself?", "Speedway" and "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" but I think it has some quite average filler tracks aswell, "Billy Budd", "Spring Heeled Jim", "Hold On To Your Friends", "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning", in my opinion it's not as consistent as something like Your Arsenal, ROTT or maybe even Viva Hate.

"Does anybody feel like I do?"! heh heh.

apart from "why don't you find out for yourself" i very rarely listen to it. which is the test, i think.
catchier, upbeat and more commercial is the fella's better stuff, for me.

> apart from "why don't you find out for yourself" i very rarely
> listen to it. which is the test, i think.
> catchier, upbeat and more commercial is the fella's better stuff, for me.

'used to be a sweet boy' i never listen to but apart frm that the album is absolutely superb

> as great an album as it is, does anyone else it's a little bit over-rated?

Well, it's over-rated by some... under-rated by others...

> Most seem to herald it as by far his best album, no doubt it has some
> stand out tracks of his career, "Now My Heart is Full",
> "Why Dont You Find Out For Yourself?", "Speedway" and
> "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" but I think it has

Yes, all those tracks are great.

> some quite average filler tracks aswell, "Billy Budd",
> "Spring Heeled Jim", "Hold On To Your Friends",
> "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning",

... but so are all of those. It dips in the second half, I think and is ultimately redeemed by Speedway. "I Am Hated For Loving" is as close as Morrissey gets to filler. "Used To Be A Sweet Boy" and "The Lazy Sunbathers" are quite b-side-ish, but good b-sides mind. "I'd Love To" should have been included.

in my opinion it's not as
> consistent as something like Your Arsenal, ROTT or maybe even Viva Hate.

Viva Hate is much more inconsistent than Vauxhall, again let down in the closing stages, with no redemption. I think Ringleader and Quarry are probably more consistent than Vauxhall in terms of song quality.

> "Does anybody feel like I do?"! heh heh.

Yes - sort of. I think once an album gets labelled as a "classic" it's hard for people to see past the tag. It's kind of a "Queen Is Dead" syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom