What album features Morrissey's best singing?

I think his voice got better and better with each album, until Ringleader where, at times, it felt like he was trying too hard. But since then, I think his singing has been faultless. It’s just a pity this also coincided with the overall deterioration of his lyrics.

Last edited:
I think his voice got better and better with each album, until Ringleader where, at times, it felt like he was trying too hard. But since then, I think his singing has been faultless. Its just a pity this also coincided with the overall deterioration of his lyrics.

Totally agree, especially the last sentence. I guess you can't have a lovely singing voice AND great lyrics at this stage of a career.

Ringleader for me. I think it’s a real shame he doesn’t do any of it on tour anymore, it’s a beaut of an album. I’m not including The Smiths here.

I think his voice got better and better with each album, until Ringleader where, at times, it felt like he was trying too hard.
Agreed - his voice is shot on 'Ringleader', particularly 'On the Streets I Ran' where he's constantly flat as he strains to hit the high notes. Personally I think he peaked on 'Years of Refusal', with the vocal gymnastics on 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' and 'I'm OK By Myself'.

Morrissey still sounds great on all his more recent work with Chicarelli - however, it feels so silky smooth sometimes that I half suspect auto-tune assistance at some points. It's almost too perfect.

Totally agree, especially the last sentence. I guess you can't have a lovely singing voice AND great lyrics at this stage of a career.
Except you most certainly can. Look at Scott Walker, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Robert Smith, Joakim Thåström, Ossler, Swans/Michael Gira, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash, And Also the Trees, David Bowie. I could go on, but you get the general idea…

Except you most certainly can. Look at Scott Walker, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Robert Smith, Joakim Thåström, Ossler, Swans/Michael Gira, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash, And Also the Trees, David Bowie. I could go on, but you get the general idea…
As much as I love most of the acts you mention, I'm not sure how many could be described as having "lovely" singing voices. Walker and Bowie, sure, but Gira, Cave, Dylan, Cash etc - brilliant as they are - aren't exactly choirboys. They have voices that are full of character and depth though, which is ultimately more important...

As much as I love most of the acts you mention, I'm not sure how many could be described as having "lovely" singing voices. Walker and Bowie, sure, but Gira, Cave, Dylan, Cash etc - brilliant as they are - aren't exactly choirboys. They have voices that are full of character and depth though, which is ultimately more important...
Did they have to be choirboys? They have great voices.

Oh, Nick Cave! I listened to the album Carnage, Live in Sydney, yesterday. It was, for me, dire. He's not good nowadays. Swans have been good these last few albums. Not sure M Gira has a singing voice though. I don't think Mr Cash wrote his own lyrics in later years; I don't care for The Boss. Sadly, your general idea is lost on me.

Last edited:
Oh, Nick Cave! I listened to the album Carnage, Live in Sydney, yesterday. It was, for me, dire. He's not good nowadays. Swans have been good these last few albums. Not sure M Gira has a singing voice though. I don't think Mr Cash wrote his own lyrics in later years; I don't care for The Boss. Sadly, your general idea is lost on me.
The critics of the world disagrees with you Re Nick, and so do I. But to each their own. I think Swans were much better in the late 80’s-mid 90’s, but this last album was a return to form. And Gira’s voice is remarkable. He sounds the same now, pushing 70, as he did in the 90’s. IE the crooner from hell. Cash did write several songs in his latter years. One prime example being the masterpiece that is The Man Comes Around, from 2002. And I pity anyone who hasn’t opened their hearts to Bruce. Let me assure you, he makes every aspect of life better.

Agreed - his voice is shot on 'Ringleader', particularly 'On the Streets I Ran' where he's constantly flat as he strains to hit the high notes. Personally I think he peaked on 'Years of Refusal', with the vocal gymnastics on 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' and 'I'm OK By Myself'.

Knowing that Tony Visconti was producing, I was genuinely shocked to hear that no less than two instances of Morrissey's voice breaking were left untouched on Ringleaders, both of which should have been "punched in" and fixed (the first "heart feels free" in Dear God, Please Help Me and "is claim to know the real you" in On The Streets I Ran).

I think the "best recorded" examples are a tie between Vauxhall And I and You Are The Quarry.

The critics of the world disagrees with you Re Nick, and so do I. But to each their own. I think Swans were much better in the late 80’s-mid 90’s, but this last album was a return to form. And Gira’s voice is remarkable. He sounds the same now, pushing 70, as he did in the 90’s. IE the crooner from hell. Cash did write several songs in his latter years. One prime example being the masterpiece that is The Man Comes Around, from 2002. And I pity anyone who hasn’t opened their hearts to Bruce. Let me assure you, he makes every aspect of life better.

"The critics of the world" - oh, I must be wrong then. I honestly don't know how anyone can think that what Nick Cave releases now is good, but "to each their own". I'll leave Bruce for the time being, thank you. If he "makes every aspect of life better" he must be good. I find recent Current 93, sacred harp singing, and Grandaddy make my life better. Enjoy the rest of your day.

"The critics of the world" - oh, I must be wrong then. I honestly don't know how anyone can think that what Nick Cave releases now is good, but "to each their own". I'll leave Bruce for the time being, thank you. If he "makes every aspect of life better" he must be good. I find recent Current 93, sacred harp singing, and Grandaddy make my life better. Enjoy the rest of your day.
The fact that his last few albums are universally praised by critics and fans all over the world doesn’t make you interested in reevaluating your stance? I think you should. It could be you’re missing something.
Current 93 I like! Their album “The Light Is Leaving Us All” is absolutely fantastic. Listened to that one A LOT this summer.

The fact that his last few albums are universally praised by critics and fans all over the world doesn’t make you interested in reevaluating your stance? I think you should. It could be you’re missing something.
Current 93 I like! Their album “The Light Is Leaving Us All” is absolutely fantastic. Listened to that one A LOT this summer.

I DO hear what you say re: evaluating my stance. Maybe one day I will, but he (Nick Cave) just doesn't do it, whatever that is (!), for me nowadays. . He used to, greatly and for many years, but not now. I honestly found some of those lyrics on the live Carnage album woeful. As for the critics and other fans, maybe they'll reevaluate! Sometimes, people (musicians, and fans) just change. As for Current 93, All The Pretty Little Horses (The Inmost Light), Sleep Has His House, Some Soft Black Stars Seen Over London, Halo, If A City Is Set Upon A Hill, and the one you mentioned have been listened to a lot over the last few months. I tend to listen at the end of the day, helps me doze off!

Hard to say. Did Stephen Street say that Moz properly realised how to use his voice on the Queen is dead? I think Viva hate is up there. Late night maudlin street, Little man what now? Suedehead etc.
Even on the Decibel demos from 1982 his vocals are rock solid.

Whilst not his strongest singing technically? I really like his voice on ringleader as well it's rough around the edges but I like that. A lot of people say he sounds better than ever on the last few albums but I don't agree. His vocals are certainly LOUDER in the mix than ever and I agree that he does still sing well but as others have mentioned the vocals seem too processed and I miss the falsetto which he doesn't really do now. Having said that I enjoy his singing on all of the albums smiths and solo.

Back
Top Bottom