What Morrissey related things have you done this year?

• Thread starter lightupvirginmary
  • Start date
- discovered Morrissey in summer
- registered here
- flew to Rome alone for the gig in Ostia Antica; stood and waited in front of Hotel only to find out the other people were waiting for boring Depeche Mode
- quit smoking
- nearly completely quit eating animals
- infiltrated friends
- started guitar lessons
- listened to all music /read all books /watched all films that are Moz-related that I could get hold of
- got to like Kristeen Young's music
- carried on with my involuntarily celibate life, but now it feels better
- bought tickets for three more concerts in December

That little diversion has left me waaay behind on the housework! Next weekend I might have a bash at Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce , if a Knitted!Boz doesn't seduce me first....

Stayed by my PC planning a military operation re: tickets.
Phoned up to get London Palladium last night tickets (well there was no point in goiong for the other London gigs)
Decided to go to Amsterdam.
Bought You HAve Killled Me on all CD formats.
Bought Ringleader on day of release despite having had it for approx a fortnight before.
Went to Amsterdam had photo taken wih Boz and then Jesse. Off my trolley!
then Llandudno, Manchester (x3) Cardiff, Cheltenham, London.
Bought the Uncut interview which wasn't that good really.
Decided to go to Benicassim (not just to see Moz)
Contemplated Rome and Reyjavik.
Went to Benicassim, got on Spanish tv!
Went to se The Other Smiths.
Contemplated going to Germany
Bought ticket for last night at G-Mex
Contemplated going to Berlin, Amsterdam or Wembley.
Watched most things Moz related on the TV. UP TO A POINT.
Oh and logged in on this webiste every day I'm in work.
Also carried out searches on YouTube on a weeklyish basis to see anything Moz related I hadn't seen before.

Next year I will be a chocolate Easter egg

-Registered here, spent most of my classes playing song title game at moz-solo
-Been to one concert
-Went to Manchester with my teahcer to see 384 Kings Road
-Have not eaten meat/fish this year
-Been less social than ever

yes - I did that too :p

Yeah, I did that too. How's it working out for you? I'm fine as long as I don't go to the Member's Pics thread (it's not right), listen to Arab Strap, think about flannel...OK, maybe I'm not doing so well. :mad:

That little diversion has left me waaay behind on the housework! Next weekend I might have a bash at Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce , if a Knitted!Boz doesn't seduce me first....

Oh please knit Boz. Pleeeease! Housework can wait!!! Can he be gripping a little wine glass?!

Next year I will be a chocolate Easter egg

Like a kinderegg with Morrissey inside??

- Lost a lot of sleep and consequently been tired a lot from curling up at night with my ipod and not being able to switch it off and seeing the night become morning too often.
- After discovering Morrissey earlier this year I have had my faith in there being decent music out there restored, and also that intelligent and interesting people do still exist.
- Come to the realisation I don’t have to be nice to people I don’t like or be liked by them- very liberating!
- Found a strong urge to want to become a librarian, I live through books anyway!
- Spending most of the remains of my student loan on all things Morrissey/ Moz related. Can’t think of anything I’d rather buy though :)
- I’m plotting my move to Manchester next year.
- Re-discovered a sudden fondness for all things northern, even my dad’s daft sayings (give over)! Has made being stuck living in a tiny town vaguely bearable.
- Realised it’s ok to be shy, a bit depressed and to not be fond of people in general.
- Have got way too excited over any appearances Morrissey makes and usually not being able to sleep once more!
- Have bought ‘Meat is Murder’/ ‘Question Authority’ badges from the Peta website.
- I have taken to explaining all the details of where the meat my parents eat has come from and what suffering has taken place as it’s being cooked/ eaten. I’m so popular when I do that…
- Converted a few family members and my friend to the charms of Moz.
- Spent far too much time on the computer on Moz Solo, looking at pictures, searching for bootlegs etc, and rather successfully avoiding job hunting.

-Went to gigs at Birmingham (my birthday!), Grimsby and Sheffield
-Stayed veggie for another year
-Found a girlfriend from Manchester so I have somewhere to stay when I go for the guided tour (obviously not just for this reason)
-Driven friends crazy by searching every old record shop or fair's vinyl collection for a Smiths or Moz bargain
-Got booked to go on Jonathan Ross but pulled out last minute cos I wanted to go to my mother's

- Went to see Morrissey at Manchester and Halifax.

-Found out Morrissey was playing in Paris in August.

-Persuaded family to take annual summer holiday in Paris.

-Pretended to be surprised to find that Morrissey was playing Paris at the same time.

-Went to see Morrissey in Paris.

-Persuaded other half to go to Manchester 3 days before Christmas to see Morrissey for the fourth time.

-Decided it might be a bit much to push for the Saturday night too.

Attended 8 live appearances in Uk (including last palladium)

Visited Rome just in time for Ostia Antica and met some nice moz-soloists

attended the filming of Jools Holland and met Morrissey afterwards, had a 2 seconds conversation and got him to sign my palladium ticket.

Bought The Smiths back catalog on vinyl

Tried to listen to Kristeen Young

Gave up fish for 2 months

Became regular at Star and Garter

Found a job in Manchester and moved there

-

-Persuaded family to take annual summer holiday in Paris.

-Pretended to be surprised to find that Morrissey was playing Paris at the same time.

-Went to see Morrissey in Paris.

-Persuaded other half to go to Manchester 3 days before Christmas to see Morrissey for the fourth time.

-Decided it might be a bit much to push for the Saturday night too.

HA HA HA. How good are your acting skills re: feigining surprise???

i entered this forum
i started thinking of my upcoming morrissey tattoo
i really tried to get enough money so as to get to go to a morrissey concert this year, but i never had enough :( , not even to the paris gig : ( :):(:cghckhfcjvokoifjhiosqdouigniurqhdbouigbitugbqeiurbguidbguidbgjhjfdjkfjfdjfdjfdjfkfjkjkfjfjkfdjfdjfdjfdjfdjfdjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
*breaksdown*

Well, after some years of "losing touch with Moz", 2006 marked a real Moz-fanhood revival:

- Seen him play live for the first time in my life and then had to do it again (and traveled far and away to achieve that!)

- Listened to a lot of his music all the time (hate to admit but that's something I haven't done in years)

- Spent a lot of time on moz-solo (first forum I've bothered to check regularly)

- Read a few Morrissey related books and ordered some more

- Spent a lot of time reading different interviews and all in all did everything I could to "catch up"

- Got my boyfriend to voluntarily ask me to play some Moz songs he liked in Thessaloniki

- Learned that there are people I know who like Moz too (without me having something to do with it!)

To sum up, if I had to name 5 things I'll remember about this year, my Moz-revival would pretty much end up in top 3 (if not as number one but I'm not admiting that while being sober)

The Smiths Tea Party

Every year I hold a Smiths Tea Party and invite as many people as I can. This year I had fifteen people attending. There was me, my mother, my aunt, uncle, cousins, and some work collegues and friends. And the man down the street who has a lisp. Everyone has to wear a Smiths T-shirt.

Tea is served only in fine china teacups, which have been thoroughly polished by a person of my choice. Cake is served, and it is normally a victoria sponge or some other such sundry. Whilst people sit sipping tea and eating the cake, I put vinyl on my record player, naturally by the Smiths. Dancing ensues.

I am sure I am not the only person on this board to have noticed the amusing effect which is achieved when a record player is switched to the wrong RPM. When I am playing a 33rpm record, I turn the RPM to 45, so that the song is playing at a different speed. Then we can all dance a variety of dances, ranging from Salsa to 'Morris' dancing. Handkerchiefs have to be made from the finest egyptian cotton, with the initials 'spm' stiched onto the centre. I employ a seamstress to do this. Everyone must dance from the centre of the room outwards, waving handkerchiefs and Morris dancing whilst 'Paint A Vulgar Picture' plays at 45rpm. A finale takes the shape of a 'Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty'/'Jeane' medley, with everyone linking arms in the manner of 'Auld Lang Syne'. Anyone who deviates from this path is banished forthwith from my home.

After this, we scour the outside surrounding area for pieces of wood which we can set alight in the garden, then dance around it by moonlight, hollering and whooping the lyrics to 'How Soon Is Now'. If any passers-by stop to stare, or complain, we then chase them with planks of wood which have been set alight, chase them all the way down the road until we have struck a morbid, harrowing fear into them. Each member of our gathering then has their hand branded with a big red 'M', burnt into their hand with a red-hot poker, which has been heated in my fireplace. Everyone is then sent on their way with a legally binding contract which states that they must attend at least 85% of the Morrissey concerts which take place during any given tour. If any of the group deviate from this path, they are then taken into the nearby woods, and a masked individual in a big black cloak does unspeakable things to terrify them.

1. Saw him live at Exit Festival, Serbia
2. Bought entire back catalog of studio albums not already owned
3. Saw him live at V Festival, Chelmsford
4. Bought DVD "Who Put The M in Manchester?"
5. Bought a book
6. Bored all my friends and family senseless by talking about him/the book endlessly
7. Seriously contemplated becoming Vegetarian in his honour (but realised that was the wrong reason to do it and didn't)
8. Signed up to True-to-You
9. Signed up to here
10. Booked for Manchester gig on 23/12/06 - going alone!
11. Referred to him countless times on my myspace blogs
12. Listened to and downloaded Russell Brand radio show
13. Taped Russell Brand TV show
14. Put "Suedehead" on my phone as my ringtone
15. Put picture of him as background of my PC
16. Put same picture as background on my phone
17. Bored friends and family more by playing ringtone/showing picture
18. Listened excessively to The Smiths and Morrissey solo work on my Ipod
19. Stopped saying I was a "fan" of his music, and started calling myself a member of his audience!

I think I've been quite obessive really.

Oh, I forgot...

20. Decided to become celibate. It was a sensible choice for me, but partly inspired by Morrissey often saying he was, though I'm not always convinced about that.
21. Became much more comfortable and happy with my bi-polar status and found listening to his lyrics much more cost effective than therapy and a lot bloody funnier as well.
22. Stopped using net access at work for work related purposes and devoted my time to Morrissey related purposes, as well as spending valuable sleeping time doing the same
23. Got over-excited at any mention in press/media of him

To be honest, there's more, but it's just the demented ravings of an infatuated maniac.

Back
Top Bottom