What's the big deal with "Not Your Birthday"?

bored

not bitter but bored
Everyone loves this song. I think it is the worst song on the album.

I skip it the most and that includes Grow Up and All You Need which are dated.

Is the part about "the love right here right now on the floor" about rape?

"All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way
To the love I am now giving to you
Right here, right now on the floor"

Or is this him saying he loves the person but the other's don't? If so, then why does he say:

"Did you really think we meant
All those syrupy, sentimental things
That we said?"

Wouldn't that also be a they if the song was the difference between him and them?

The music is just not that good either. Alain's masterpiece is Pigsty. This song isn't even close to that.

So what's so special about this song?

Is the part about "the love right here right now on the floor" about rape?
I wouldn't say so, that seems a bit ... cheap.
The music is just not that good either. Alain's masterpiece is Pigsty.
It's trying to hard to sound like Pigsty and ends up sounding like Coldplay.
So what's so special about this song?
The ending's quite good, it builds well.
when i last spoke to carol is my favourite :thumb:
Yes!
Mama too.

I've just listened to it for the first time ever and all I can say is that it's beautiful. :)

Edit: I listened to it standing by the window looking at the snow falling. If that is not kitsch, I don't know what is.

Edit2: The ending is very nice indeed, but it reminds me of the corresponding part of With Or Without You by U2. :o

Last edited:
no no no. i HATE the song. easily one of my least favorite morrissey songs. the instrumentation is straight from radio disney.

i assure you,,give it a few weeks and the song will grow on you,,at first i liked the song wasnt sure about the wailing(thought it went on a bit to long),,no i think its the strongest part of the song building up to it, i honestly think its one of his best EVER solo songs,,steve,

i assure you,,give it a few weeks and the song will grow on you,,at first i liked the song wasnt sure about the wailing(thought it went on a bit to long),,no i think its the strongest part of the song building up to it, i honestly think its one of his best EVER solo songs,,steve,

no. maybe if you're in to coldplay...

Next to the blandness of Black Cloud and That's How People Grow Up, it's a veritable masterpiece.

On it's own, it's just a brilliant Morrissey song.

I dunno tobin. I got yor the day it leaked an this song isn't coming round for me.

Still no one is really telling me why it's special besides the ending is good.

Yeah, at first I didn't get why people were all getting wet over the song, but after a few listens now I think its OKAY. Nothing too special though, serious. Not a masterpiece. Just okay.

He sings it well and he shows a cruel side. I like the music, too.

It's one of my favourites on the album.I love the middle part when Morrissey sings in falsetto I think it makes it come across as a very honest and touching song.

Meh, I was wondering the same thing.

While reading all the early reviews from the members here, I was expecthing a brilliant masterpiece.

I was so disappointed.

I love this one.

I agree that I have yet to figure out some of the lyrical meaning, but a lot of it is pretty beautiful.

And his vocals, like much of the album, are to die for.

I was really anticipating this track, and I wasn't disappointed. As I've said elsewhere, it really feels like Speedway's brother.

never speak about Speedway like that again. ever. that is so. wrong. :sick:

I must disagree. And I'm not the only person to have made the comparison.

I have to laugh at the snobbery, so many insecurities about that people will hear a song and automatically wright it off and compare it to music they're not supposed to like for the sake of turning their noses up just that little bit more.

Pffft, some of you are no better than the bleeting masses.

Tags
gonna get imaghost=legend raped
Back
Top Bottom