Where have you seen Morrissey and what was the best gig?

R

Razz

I've seen him at all but one of his London solo gigs from the first one at Wembley Arena during the Kill Uncle tour right up to last year's Brixton Academy show. He played Kentish Town Forum 4 nights in a row a few years ago but sadly, this is so hard to talk about, I only went to...three...sniff...

I think the best Morrissey gig I ever went to was in Ilford during the Morrissey In Person/World of Morrissey tour. I went on my own (which I think a Morrissey fan must do at least once) and loved it. It was in a really cool little theatre. He was really funny between songs, the band were really strong and they played a great set-list. Amazingly celebratory mood from the whole audience too. I didn't know much about the tour before this gig. Don't think there was too much on the internet back then so there were no reports of what songs he was playing. So imagine the joy that crowd felt when he came back for the encore and played Shoplifters Of The World Unite. I think that tour was the first tour he played Smiths songs. It was amazing. I left elated.

Of course, I never saw The Smiths, and I have to just learn to live with that. Crap!

> I've seen him at all but one of his London solo gigs from the first one at
> Wembley Arena during the Kill Uncle tour right up to last year's Brixton
> Academy show. He played Kentish Town Forum 4 nights in a row a few years
> ago but sadly, this is so hard to talk about, I only went
> to...three...sniff...

> I think the best Morrissey gig I ever went to was in Ilford during the
> Morrissey In Person/World of Morrissey tour. I went on my own (which I
> think a Morrissey fan must do at least once) and loved it. It was in a
> really cool little theatre. He was really funny between songs, the band
> were really strong and they played a great set-list. Amazingly celebratory
> mood from the whole audience too. I didn't know much about the tour before
> this gig. Don't think there was too much on the internet back then so
> there were no reports of what songs he was playing. So imagine the joy
> that crowd felt when he came back for the encore and played Shoplifters Of
> The World Unite. I think that tour was the first tour he played Smiths
> songs. It was amazing. I left elated.

> Of course, I never saw The Smiths, and I have to just learn to live with
> that. Crap!

Aaaaaah, the Kentish Town Forum. I went to all four of them. The one you didn't go to was the best. But that's just the way it goes.
Three weeks later , I got the train up to Aylesbury for the final gig of the UK leg of that tour. That turned out to be better than any of the London gigs. And he threw in 'half a person' as a wee bonus.
i still say that 'oye esteban' tour was waaaaaay better that than the 2002 tour. The set-list was better and the venues were better.
People can say what they want about the grandeur of the Royal Albert Hall and the size of Brixton Acadamy, but for me the Forum wins every time.
Keep it tight , dark, and sweaty.