Why do Mexican Americans love Morrissey so much? - The Washington Post

The bait and switch bus/van thing is hazy. I do remember the soundcheck. I had that experience again in Louisville, KY in 2004 where they (security) kindly let me stand at the side stage door (outside of course)...and once again, I had that same feeling as you described.

The bait and switch bus/van thing is hazy. I do remember the soundcheck. I had that experience again in Louisville, KY in 2004 where they (security) kindly let me stand at the side stage door (outside of course)...and once again, I had that same feeling as you described.

That was my first show too, my second being the forum. I first heard him at the soundcheck. Goosebumps. The venue is by the beach and the fog was rolling in, so the air was moist and it made the sound choppy, so it was like bits of hearing his voice and the bass and drums, that's all. But it was him, I couldn't believe it.

Keep in mind at the time I was full force blubbering teenager in love with him. I was the dumdums on twitter who say they'll die if he dies of cancer. I was the one at school they picked on for loving him. I've transformed that into a special esoteric insanity with structure and intention, but it was pure hormonal teenage puppy dog eyes when I was 14.

what exactly does a bean and cheese burrito have to do with mexican/american culture? please, think past taco bell.

Yeah. I'm from H.B. I get it.

I went to the surf competition a couple years ago and there were so many goddam people I had to park at the library. I think it was 3 miles to the beach. Never again, that thing has gotten out of hand, too big. Way too big. If your folks still live there I bet they take a vacation that weekend. Insanity.

Maybe I bumped into you at the merch stand. This is the shirt I bought at that gig. :D

I love these pictures, CG!! I wish I had more from back in those days, but you know...film. :p

I've always felt a bit jealous of west coast Moz fans, because I imagine it being like a special, welcoming social club. It's not like that over here. (Or maybe it is, and I'm just the perpetual outcast.)

that interests me more, because to be honest, Morrissey has long had an "L.A. vibe" about him and since L.A. is mostly?(or at least a lot) inhabited by Mexican-Americans, I just always figured it was one of th L.A. things without analyzing it too much
oh yeah and that one time I was part of a convoy of cars, after a show, going to
Pinks_Hot_Dogs.jpg

only then did I notice that "our group" was me, an Asian-American woman and everybody else could have been Hispanic* :guitar:
so yeah, just an L.A. thing man :thumb:

*=I did not check people's I.D.s I am not some pig from Arizona :p
Well, it's not just a Moz thing that I'm interested in. More of a new wave thing. I mean I knew a ton of older people that listened to depeche mode, bahaus, New order, etc and it never seemed like a Hispanic thing. It was just what people listened to. I wonder if it's the emotion under the guise of a danceable number.

American of Mexican descent here. I agree. It is the Ranchera-esque sound that does us in. Morrissey's style and song themes are very similar to that of Vicente Fernandez, Pedro Infante. It's almost as if while during their ballads is the only time the macho-obsessed culture is allowed to mollify the ultramasculine sentiment.

I feel like someone else wrote a similar article or else this is it just republished in the washington compost.
But I think the one I'm thinking of the author actually liked Moz's music. If I can dig it up will post.

Love hearing CG and others anecdotes :)

The most ironic/contradictory thing about going to a Morrissey concert in the LA area is all the Mexicans running to the bacon wrapped Mexican hot dog cart outside of the concert just out on the street and just far enough that it's not on the concert grounds or parking lot. Talk about hypocrites.

Even though San Diego is closer to Mexico, I don't see this at San Diego concerts and I don't see all the shaved head gigantic white T-Shirt with the wife beater underneath Mexicans at San Diego shows. It seems like the Mexicans at the San Diego shows are real Mexicans that come up from Tijuana.

Well, it's not just a Moz thing that I'm interested in. More of a new wave thing. I mean I knew a ton of older people that listened to depeche mode, bahaus, New order, etc and it never seemed like a Hispanic thing. It was just what people listened to. I wonder if it's the emotion under the guise of a danceable number.
I can see that.
&
American of Mexican descent here. I agree. It is the Ranchera-esque sound that does us in. Morrissey's style and song themes are very similar to that of Vicente Fernandez, Pedro Infante. It's almost as if while during their ballads is the only time the macho-obsessed culture is allowed to mollify the ultramasculine sentiment.
I was hoping you'd respond to this thread, nice to hear from you RWRW :thumb:

The most ironic/contradictory thing about going to a Morrissey concert in the LA area is all the Mexicans running to the bacon wrapped Mexican hot dog cart outside of the concert just out on the street and just far enough that it's not on the concert grounds or parking lot. Talk about hypocrites.

Even though San Diego is closer to Mexico, I don't see this at San Diego concerts and I don't see all the shaved head gigantic white T-Shirt with the wife beater underneath Mexicans at San Diego shows. It seems like the Mexicans at the San Diego shows are real Mexicans that come up from Tijuana.

FYI, there are loads of people out there who eat meat and are Moz fans. That is a silly notion that you have to not eat meat in order to be a fan. I think that is what killed the fun with the Moz fan world in the first place.

I was talking to my wife about this article and she noted there were a few threads of familiarity between Irish and Mexican culture. She's of Irish decent and I'm of Mexican decent.

Last edited:
hmm what similarities? id be very curious to hear about that. i wonder if the ballad sound is an escape from macho culture the same way country music balladeers were in the sixties. i could see a parallel there. would of course love to hear more from actual mexican americans. did they interview ask many of them for the piece?

-Deep rooted Catholicism
-receiving end of racism and anti-Catholicism behavior
-Huge families
-family values
-the gorgeous women
-Drinking
...the list goes on.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...rish+and+mexican+culture+similarities&spell=1

There is some merit about the macho culture and ballads.....aka boleros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDvSaGlPJk

In the distant mountain
a horseman is riding a horse
He wanders alone in the world
And keep going forward to the death

He carries in his chest a hurt
his soul is torn apart
He wishes to die
To meet with his beloved again

He loved her more than his own life
but lost her forever
That's why he carries a hurt
That's why he looks for the death

With his guitar, he sings
Throughout the night
Man and guitar crying
under the light of the stars

Then he get lost in the night
and, spite of the night is so beautiful
He asks God to
take him with it.

but lost her forever.

Last edited:
-Deep rooted Catholicism
-receiving end of racism and anti-Catholicism behavior
-Huge families
-family values
-the gorgeous women
-Drinking
...the list goes on.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...rish+and+mexican+culture+similarities&spell=1

There is some merit about the macho culture and ballads.....aka boleros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDvSaGlPJk

In the distant mountain
a horseman is riding a horse
He wanders alone in the world
And keep going forward to the death

He carries in his chest a hurt
his soul is torn apart
He wishes to die
To meet with his beloved again

but lost her forever

With his guitar, he sings
Throughout the night
Man and guitar crying
under the light of the stars

Then he get lost in the night
and, spite of the night is so beautiful
He asks God to
take him with it.

but lost her forever.

Yes, never forget the gorgeous irish women:

http://static.bips.channel4.com/bip...ters/4b91fe7d-5cb4-4403-b918-a99b3798ccdc.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom