Your 10 least favourite Morrissey tracks

Really interesting to see what people have listed so far. There seem to be 3 common themes:
1. released b sides and extra tracks (like Sweetie Pie, for instance, which was in my 'nearly' list)
2. never released tracks (which I suppose we can understand being in the list as we can assume no one considered them good enough to release - but then a song like Blue Dreamers was in many people's best of top 10, including my own)
3. Joe Chiccarelli era tracks
I am with Aubs in many ways on JC, not to be confused with J-Dog, but then I am a big fan of I Am Not A Dog. Shocked to see Bobby coming up several times - I love that track, but clearly personal taste is a big part of anybody's list. I also like All the Young People.
I agree with the comments about the extra tracks on Our Frank maybe being the first time the extra tracks were a bit noticeably sub-power. I quite like Tony the Pony but I agree that Journalists Who Lie is not a great song. Lyrically it's ok, and clearly probably means a lot to Morrissey with his history, but musically it's a dud.

I love the later piano version of Sweetie Pie, but the released one is hands downs my least favourite Morrissey track. Practically unlistenable.

Michael’s Bones
Ouija Board Ouija Board
Get Off The Stage
The Truth About Ruth
When You Open Your Legs
Ambitious Outsiders
Asian Rut
Oh Phoney
In Your Lap
You’ve Had Her
Michael’s Bones is one of the worst songs he’s ever done? Really?

Yes, but why?! 😭
just doesn’t tickle me in any way.
Someone else put he cried on their list and that is one of my favourites, different things work for different people.
I don’t know how else to explain it, other than when that song starts playing I press next and move on to the next song.

Let’s do the reverse, you tell me why it’s so great and maybe I’ll feel differently about it.
GO! 😂

just doesn’t tickle me in any way.
Someone else put he cried on their list and that is one of my favourites, different things work for different people.
I don’t know how else to explain it, other than when that song starts playing I press next and move on to the next song.

Let’s do the reverse, you tell me why it’s so great and maybe I’ll feel differently about it.
GO! 😂
Fair enough.
Why I like it: devastating lyrics about death, dying and about what happens (or doesn’t happen) next, and gorgeous music/soundscape. It’s dark, but not pitch black. Not to mention the vocal!

On the streets I ran
Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage
Who will protect us from the police
Israel
All the young people must fall in love
Found Found Found
Children in pieces
Notre Dame
The more you ignore me the closer I get
How can anyone possibly know how I feel?

On the streets I ran
Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage
Who will protect us from the police
Israel
All the young people must fall in love
Found Found Found
Children in pieces
Notre Dame
The more you ignore me the closer I get
How can anyone possibly know how I feel?

You’ve made me remember more.

All The Young People Must Fall In Love
People Are The Same Everywhere
Who Will Protect Us From The Police?

Plus:

On The Streets I Ran
The Father Who Must Be Killed
At Last I Am Born
Israel
This Song Doesn’t End When It’s Over
The Kid’s A Looker
The Truth About Ruth
Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?

Of other ones listed that I enjoy, apart from I’m Not Sorry:

When Last I Spoke To Carol
Smiler With Knife

I’m still on the fence about Notre-Dayum until I hear the studio version, though I’m not hopeful.

Jacky's Only Happy
Kiss Me A lot
Spent The Day in Bed
Notre Dame
Veronica
Kerouac
Stained Glass Window
Rebels
Oblivion
Telephone Rings
Bonfire

There are more older ones but the new songs are the absolute worst I have ever heard from him

I’m with you on these apart from Saint and Oblivion. The lyrics are a bit shit in parts but enjoy those two generally overall.

I’m with you on these apart from Saint and Oblivion. The lyrics are a bit shit in parts but enjoy those two generally overall.
I think more people like the new songs than don't.

You’ve made me remember more.

All The Young People Must Fall In Love
People Are The Same Everywhere
Who Will Save Us From The Police?

Plus:

On The Streets I Ran
The Father Who Must Be Killed
At Last I Am Born
Israel
The Kid’s A Looker
The Truth About Ruth
Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?

Of other ones listed that I enjoy, apart from I’m Not Sorry:

When Last I Spoke To Carol
Smiler With Knife

I’m still on the fence about Notre-Dayum until I hear the studio version, though I’m not hopeful.
Interesting that you have included several songs from Ringleader - not a fan of all the songs you have listed above from that album. Never been my favourite Moz album. But for me still way better than Years of Refusal. Smiler with Knife would also be on my list of songs I'm not so fond of. Along with Julie in the Weeds. And Scandinavia.

Papa Jack
He Cried
Sorrow Will Come in the End
Journalists Who Lie
I Bury the Living
Who Will Protect Us From the Police?
Notre Dame
The Kid’s A Looker
Lover-To-Be
Man, he has put out some garbage. Agree with all that. The Truth About Ruth has to be #1 though, right?

The snags...

Black cloud
America is not the world (although I do quite like the Christy Moore version)
I like you
How could anybody possibly know how I feel?
Bobby, don't you think I know
Scandinavia
Kiss me a lot
Israel
Who will save us from the police? (My goodness...what were they thinking?)
I bury the living

I honestly believe he hadn’t released anything truly bad or awful before the WPINOYB album. There are songs prior to that album that I don’t care for very much, but none that I truly feel is irredeemable or shit. The “clunkers” prior to 2014 are almost fantastic by comparison.

I honestly believe he hadn’t released anything truly bad or awful before the WPINOYB album. There are songs prior to that album that I don’t care for very much, but none that I truly feel is irredeemable or shit. The “clunkers” prior to 2014 are almost fantastic by comparison.
100% true and exactly the way I see it.

Back
Top Bottom