A most radical new year. spacey, too.

A

Andrew S.

Just got back from the man or astroman? new year's celebration. It was unbelievable. Tron and 2001:A Space Odyssey playing simultaneously behind the band, beautiful girls everywhere, insane crowd hopping, skipping, bumping, gyrating, did I mention OSCILLATING WILDLY? Man or Astroman? managed to light two things on fire, do an entire song with their new lead singer Macspeak Fred, knock out the power at emo's, send the crowd into a frenzy like i've never seen before, set off firecrackers, etc. etc. etc. It was AMAZING.

something else amazing happened, too. This cook I work with at a bar-b-q joint was walking around before the first band went on, then he took the stage and managed to almost move me to tears by laying his own heart out for me to see. His first lyric was "I'm a rolllling stone....."
simple, but this guy that just brings me hot briskets and sausage at work when I need them revealed his innermost feelings. it was so awesome.
yeah. i know this email turned real cheesy real quick. screw you

0andrew0

he meant nothing to me

Ah, you bastard....i do envy you considering how my evening turned out....

...sorry i havent had time to respond to your email, but i've been busy trying to find walnut meal....

anyway, I almost get left behind by my so-called friends even though I showed up at 9 on the dot before they headed out for eats.

we walked to 6th street and paid the Blind Pig $15 for the privilege of sitting in their bar as the witching hour struck. It was a @#!!!ing bar. It had no music beyond the crap being piped over the speakers from some unknown DJ.

Then, the hour struck, and this one guy who should have been at boot camp had it not been for a bad knee, first gave the tongue to one girl who just broke up with the love of her life that evening. He then slowly went around hugging people before he gave me more than a hug. One of those things that isn't really something that sweeps you off your feet as I cut it off relatively quickly, and then I slyly threw it up in his face that he did it two girls in about an hour, and then I was more than slightly amused as the realisation hit and he went "oh @#!!!!" and ran out in embarassment.

I love it. This weekend it's been:

Suzanne: 2
Guys: 0

hi-keeba!!!

Re: he meant nothing to me

> we walked to 6th street and paid the Blind Pig $15 for the
> privilege of sitting in their bar as the witching hour struck.
> It was a @#!!! ing bar. It had no music beyond the crap being
> piped over the speakers from some unknown DJ.

Don't feel too bad: the bar that *I* was dragged to started off promising: 80s new wave music (the "hits," granted, but still...).

But then it went horribly, HORRIBLY wrong: some dumb party cover-band hit the stage and played all the hits: Dancing Queen, Semi-Charmed Life (or whatever it's called) and...yes...YMCA. (!!!!!)

*sigh* I don't have a single thing in common with my "clique."

I would much rather have taken in the Luna show at CBGB, but alas!

Oh yeah: I was sober throughout (save for a sip of champagne) - I've had a headache for the past week and had to hit the bar owner up for some Advil. But hey, by the time I left (around 1:30), my headache was gone!

But I just woke up with one. :/

> Don't feel too bad: the bar that *I* was dragged to started off
> promising: 80s new wave music (the "hits," granted,
> but still...).

heh...yes, we do have one called Polyesthers, that despite it's name, is actually an 80's club, complete with pics of madonna and tony danza.

I went there once. It was just some club with 80's music. I don't know what else to say about it.

> But then it went horribly, HORRIBLY wrong: some dumb party
> cover-band hit the stage and played all the hits: Dancing Queen,
> Semi-Charmed Life (or whatever it's called) and...yes...YMCA.
> (!!!!!)

> *sigh* I don't have a single thing in common with my
> "clique."

Me neither. At one point it was OK because it was a chance for me to do new things, but now, they've been completely assimilated into everything I @#!!!ing hate.

Yuppie bars with $7 martinis? Jenny Jones House Bands? Picking up guys at bars?

I cry myself to sleep.

> I would much rather have taken in the Luna show at CBGB, but
> alas!

> Oh yeah: I was sober throughout (save for a sip of champagne) -
> I've had a headache for the past week and had to hit the bar
> owner up for some Advil. But hey, by the time I left (around
> 1:30), my headache was gone!

Well, I didn't drink too terribly much. I had been out drinking all weekend long, and it wasn't even in a good setting. I amused myself by deflating the egos of the barflies this one new member of our group insisted drawing over to our table.

This one dude started complaining, "hey, that guy is hitting on my girl!"

and I loudly said in front of everyone, "which one?"

which is not incredibly witty, but gets all the "ooohhs" and incredibly loud cackles from my very very loud friends which are blessed with the loudest vocal chords I have ever heard, thus bringing a look of absolute anger to the face of this guy who thought he was being very sly in moving from one girl to the next all night....matter of fact, I think he left our table shortly after that.

I was very proud of myself.

I just wish my friends would see what STD-riddled jerks these guys are. I can't believe my friends are putting this new girl on a pedestal for being able to "lure" these delectable men. Hell, I can walk into a bar by myself wearing flannel and sweatpants and not wash my hair for a week and judo flip 3 of them off of me as I'm trying to order my drink. The way they see it, if you look single and look halfway decent, they are going to try their luck because they are happy if ANYONE will have them.

Do they listen to me? No.

> But I just woke up with one. :/

it never ends. my friend always suggests drinking water because it could be dehydration in general. it usually works.

that or sinuses....after all, this is bad weather and @#!!! like cedar does pollinate this time of year.

> heh...yes, we do have one called Polyesthers, that despite it's
> name, is actually an 80's club, complete with pics of madonna
> and tony danza.

Ugh - we had a Polyesther's too. It was lame and in a building which, for some reason, cannot keep a club running for more than one year. I think it's a Spanish club now.

> Me neither. At one point it was OK because it was a chance for
> me to do new things, but now, they've been completely
> assimilated into everything I @#!!! ing hate.

Well, I happen to be related to half of my friends; the other half are friends of THEIRS. I really need to learn to make my own friends. It's hard, though, when you're a temp (i.e. don't "belong" at your job(s)) and not in college. Even if/when I go BACK to college, I'll be about 8 years older than the average college kid.

*sigh*

> Yuppie bars with $7 martinis? Jenny Jones House Bands? Picking
> up guys at bars?

Ick.

> I cry myself to sleep.

I used to; the antidepressants have pretty much numbed any emotional outbursts I used to have. I miss them sometimes.

Oops - did I type that out loud??

> Well, I didn't drink too terribly much. I had been out drinking
> all weekend long, and it wasn't even in a good setting. I amused
> myself by deflating the egos of the barflies this one new member
> of our group insisted drawing over to our table.

> This one dude started complaining, "hey, that guy is
> hitting on my girl!"

> and I loudly said in front of everyone, "which one?"

> which is not incredibly witty, but gets all the
> "ooohhs" and incredibly loud cackles from my very very
> loud friends which are blessed with the loudest vocal chords I
> have ever heard, thus bringing a look of absolute anger to the
> face of this guy who thought he was being very sly in moving
> from one girl to the next all night....matter of fact, I think
> he left our table shortly after that.

> I was very proud of myself.

Good for you! But then, you're on THEIR turf. What else would you expect at a Yuppie bar serving $7 martinis?

> I just wish my friends would see what STD-riddled jerks these
> guys are. I can't believe my friends are putting this new girl
> on a pedestal for being able to "lure" these
> delectable men.

Hooking up seemed to be the order of the day with MY group too, on New Years Eve (amongst the very few who weren't already a "couple").

> Hell, I can walk into a bar by myself wearing
> flannel and sweatpants and not wash my hair for a week and judo
> flip 3 of them off of me as I'm trying to order my drink. The
> way they see it, if you look single and look halfway decent,
> they are going to try their luck because they are happy if
> ANYONE will have them.

Exactly. Where's the challenge?

> it never ends. my friend always suggests drinking water because
> it could be dehydration in general. it usually works.

Thanks; I've tried everything. I guess I'm just prone to migraines.

> that or sinuses....after all, this is bad weather and @#!!!
> like cedar does pollinate this time of year.

Yeah, my sinuses have taken a beaten, lately. Thank goodness for Tylenol® Allergy/Sinus!

> Ugh - we had a Polyesther's too. It was lame and in a building
> which, for some reason, cannot keep a club running for more than
> one year. I think it's a Spanish club now.

Yes, i understand that it's a chain.

Have you ever heard of that? A chain club? Like a McDonald's? How does that work, exactly? It's not like they serve their beer with supersized fries.

Apparently, that club was charging $25 to get in. That would be more than what I spent to see Travis AND Blur when they came through town on seperate occasions.

> Well, I happen to be related to half of my friends; the other
> half are friends of THEIRS. I really need to learn to make my
> own friends. It's hard, though, when you're a temp (i.e. don't
> "belong" at your job(s)) and not in college. Even
> if/when I go BACK to college, I'll be about 8 years older than
> the average college kid.

yes! I feel that pain as well!

I work with all these sales people types all day, and then at night....this is what I get.

To tell you how urm "interesting" the other bunch of friends of friends are, two of the girls apparently started making out at the bar shortly after I left! Not only did they meet each other a couple of days ago, one of the girls had brought a guy she met two days before and was giving him the brush-off (she's the barfly magnet), and the other one's boyfriend dumped her that day AND she kissed a totally different guy about an hour before.

I feel like i've walked into a madonna video.

> *sigh*

> Ick.

> I used to; the antidepressants have pretty much numbed any
> emotional outbursts I used to have. I miss them sometimes.

> Oops - did I type that out loud??

> Good for you! But then, you're on THEIR turf. What else would
> you expect at a Yuppie bar serving $7 martinis?

this was actually not at the yuppie bar, but at the "college" bar near campus. It's a couple of blocks away from the school, and is pretty much a large shed with picnic tables in front. The youngest of these guys was 33 and the oldest was in his 40's. Not that that's bad because sometimes those things happen as I should know, and when it does, it's beautiful, but you know its intentional that they're hanging out and looking for college girls in their early 20's.

> Hooking up seemed to be the order of the day with MY group too,
> on New Years Eve (amongst the very few who weren't already a
> "couple").

Heh. Well, it was awkward standing in the bar as the clock struck midnight, and suddenly, everyone goes into liplock.

> Exactly. Where's the challenge?

> Thanks; I've tried everything. I guess I'm just prone to
> migraines.

> Yeah, my sinuses have taken a beaten, lately. Thank goodness for
> Tylenol® Allergy/Sinus!

That's the best stuff ever. Normal tylenol doesn't work for me, and most sinus medicines don't do @#!!!, but this combination of things that shouldn't work is great. It's great especially when you wake up with a headache on one side of your head and it feels like your eye is going to pop out.

> Have you ever heard of that? A chain club? Like a McDonald's?
> How does that work, exactly? It's not like they serve their beer
> with supersized fries.

Who knows? Apparently, it didn't "work" in MY town!

> Apparently, that club was charging $25 to get in. That would be
> more than what I spent to see Travis AND Blur when they came
> through town on seperate occasions.

Wow. We only got milked for $10 - and THAT included noisemakers, silly hats, masks and a champagne toast.

> I work with all these sales people types all day, and then at
> night....this is what I get.

But don't you work in the pseudo-entertainment industry? Surely you come across the occasional trendy hipsters from time to time.

> this was actually not at the yuppie bar, but at the
> "college" bar near campus. It's a couple of blocks
> away from the school, and is pretty much a large shed with
> picnic tables in front. The youngest of these guys was 33 and
> the oldest was in his 40's. Not that that's bad because
> sometimes those things happen as I should know, and when it
> does, it's beautiful, but you know its intentional that they're
> hanging out and looking for college girls in their early 20's.

Oh, of course.

> Heh. Well, it was awkward standing in the bar as the clock
> struck midnight, and suddenly, everyone goes into liplock.

Tell me about it! One year, about 5 minutes before midnight, this shy, younger kid came up to me and asked me if he can give me a peck on the lips at the stroke of midnight. Seeing as I had nothing else to do when the hour struck, I agreed. This year, I just held up my plastic champagne glass and took a swig while waiting for all the couples to unhindge themselves from one another long enough to wish me a Happy New Year.

> That's the best stuff ever. Normal tylenol doesn't work for me,
> and most sinus medicines don't do @#!!! , but this combination
> of things that shouldn't work is great. It's great especially
> when you wake up with a headache on one side of your head and it
> feels like your eye is going to pop out.

That's EXACTLY the kind of headache I always get! It finally went away yesterday.

> Who knows? Apparently, it didn't "work" in MY town!

that's sad. here i am in a place supposedly overrun by music hipster, and what goes out of business first?

> Wow. We only got milked for $10 - and THAT included noisemakers,
> silly hats, masks and a champagne toast.

well, the one guy who kissed me had too much to drink. i found out that he probably got really ill after he kissed me, hence him running out of the room.

I feel very loved now.

> But don't you work in the pseudo-entertainment industry? Surely
> you come across the occasional trendy hipsters from time to
> time.

its not the same thing. if we get anything, we get slackers. the rest of tv is populated by business types. it's sad. people in our news department don't know who the hell patti smith is, and they're the ones being sent out to cover when she headlined at the main stage at south by southwest. of course, when this one guy, the one guy I consider more knowledgeable than me in this stuff who works at the station, tries to step up and tell them no, it's not Patty Smythe, they laughed at him.

> Oh, of course.

> Tell me about it! One year, about 5 minutes before midnight,
> this shy, younger kid came up to me and asked me if he can give
> me a peck on the lips at the stroke of midnight. Seeing as I had
> nothing else to do when the hour struck, I agreed. This year, I
> just held up my plastic champagne glass and took a swig while
> waiting for all the couples to unhindge themselves from one
> another long enough to wish me a Happy New Year.

Yes, but this is the first time I've ever been in a nest of them. Usually, it's maybe one or two, but this time, it was like everything stopped.

But I'm used to all of this outside looking in business.

> That's EXACTLY the kind of headache I always get! It finally
> went away yesterday.

yup, must be the crap in the air.

> well, the one guy who kissed me had too much to drink. i found
> out that he probably got really ill after he kissed me, hence
> him running out of the room.

> I feel very loved now.

Well, judging by how you've described him, I'd consider that a personal victory.

> its not the same thing. if we get anything, we get slackers. the
> rest of tv is populated by business types. it's sad. people in
> our news department don't know who the hell patti smith is, and
> they're the ones being sent out to cover when she headlined at
> the main stage at south by southwest. of course, when this one
> guy, the one guy I consider more knowledgeable than me in this
> stuff who works at the station, tries to step up and tell them
> no, it's not Patty Smythe, they laughed at him.

Hehehe...the Warrior?

Oh, dear.

> But I'm used to all of this outside looking in business.

You said it, sista.

> yup, must be the crap in the air.

Is that what it is? I can't tell - I've been without the sense of smell for the past 3 days.

> Well, judging by how you've described him, I'd consider that a
> personal victory.

i consider everything a personal victory....even my greatest defeats are victories on the war against my self-image.

we must look at everything positively.

> Hehehe...the Warrior?

> Oh, dear.

freaking without a clue. but do they put any stock in what I would say? NO. I only shuffle papers. I'm not capable of having a good record collection.

> You said it, sista.

> Is that what it is? I can't tell - I've been without the sense
> of smell for the past 3 days.

yes, i hate to be too specific about what it is, but be assured that it's not good.