A recollection from Alain Whyte

I just stumbled across this on FB, and he should definitely write this book. Judging from his posts over there, he seems to be a really good guy ... and it would be interesting to hear the whole story from his point of view.

And I do agree with what he said about the lineup. I saw them in Berlin back in 1991 ... best Morrissey show ever!

this review from 2015 talks about the bands spot on rendition of stop me and talks about the bands changing textures mentioning a gritty guitar solo from istanbul and the acoustic one from staircase. no one wondering when alain would be back. the one from rollingstone talks about a show in 2014 where people rush the stage in the last song as they got so excited for it unless they were all rushing to see if alain was there. i mean its not like i dont like his work, i out the album he wrote a lot of at my number two fav, but no one in the crowds at shows are missing him and morrissey shows are as great as ever and just as well received without him. its big headed of him if he thinks he was a big part of my morrisseys solo songs and shows are popular. its also weird of alain fans to think that his departure would hurt moz in anyway but in there own eyes. to the public at large he doesnt count that much

Ahoy Chaps!

Hmmmm. I didn't really know where to post this, but since this board is 90% Brits, Euros, South Americans, Kazakistainanis, Serbs, Canada ans...etc that will never see Morrissey again in concert. I reckon does anyone know where I can buy up her in Birckenshireham Town United or buy online a Planet Hollywood-Orlando Letterman's jacket, you know like a jacket that American High School Basketball or Football players wear like in Happy Days. By the by I am looking for it to be navy blue or black to match my Yankees Baseball cap. I don't mean to be a pain in the arse.

Nigel Higginsbottom Whales III

Thanks. The tour I wasn't sure about, but the 1994 press promotion at Tower Records in Philadelphia... Jake and he were there.

Jesse is just waaaayyyy two heavy-handed for Morrissey's music from the Smiths days through early solo stuff.

He has shown himself incapable of delicacy and finesse as lead guitarist. Plus his tone is just awful. Very often he sounds like he is just guessing at how to play early Moz/Smiths.

I frankly can't stand him in the band.

Jesse is just waaaayyyy two heavy-handed for Morrissey's music from the Smiths days through early solo stuff.

He has shown himself incapable of delicacy and finesse as lead guitarist. Plus his tone is just awful. Very often he sounds like he is just guessing at how to play early Moz/Smiths.

Have you not heard Smiler With Knife?
One of the most understated and lovely pieces of music Morrissey's ever sung along to.
Written by J Tobias.
Most of his other World Peace contributions were similarly impressive...

sometimes i agree about the tone. im a player but not one who uses a bunch of different models, i mostly play a semi acoustic ovation or a les paul, but someone told me once that the strat he plays has something to do with it but i dont know for sure. as for renditions of smiths songs those i saw seemed fine and from ever review ive read from rolling stone to spin etc has said they were pretty much played right on note for note. most reviews speak highly of the current band

from the guardian:

"in front of a backing band much invigorated by the advent of new arrival Gustavo Manzur.

Musical director Boz Boorer has been the rockabilly Sancho Panza to Morrissey’s Brylcreemed Don Quixote since 1991, but this old dog has also learned some new tricks lately. Typical of the recent material that provides the bulk of tonight’s set – no less than nine songs are taken from 2014’s World Peace is None of Your Business – is the improbably irresistible Staircase at the University, wherein a morbidly self-parodic lyric about the demise of a tragically overworked student (“March, April, May, she crammed night and day...”) is somehow redeemed by a ridiculously catchy tune, complete with horn break, flamenco guitar interlude and handclaps."

also from a the guardian but from a different show, "Kiss Me A Lot, which is Morrissey’s best pop song in some time"

"by the time the band explodes into The Queen Is Dead, security have given up trying to stem the flow of fans running up to the stage and euphoria wins out as" (doesnt sound like it was played horribly )

from clevescene:

"Throughout the set, the band alternated between dark and moody sonic textures (a particularly gritty guitar solo distinguished “Istanbul,” which was made all more dramatic with some dark red lights) and folk-inflected pop (“Staircase at the University,” which concluded with an acoustic guitar solo). Morrissey’s voice sounded terrific and his backing band capably kept up with the mood shifts and delivered a spot-on rendition of the careening Smiths tune “Stop Me if You Think You’ve Heard This One Before.”"

from the nme:

"He shakes maracas during ‘Staircase At The University’, a tale of the suicide of an exam-pressured overworked daughter, accompanied by joyous flamenco guitars and blaring trumpets. ‘Kiss Me A Lot’ too, is tinged with flamenco flourishes. The world music theme of the record even extends to a mariachi rework of ‘First Of The Gang To Die’, from 2004’s ‘You Are The Quarry’."

from indy week:

"Solo Morrissey has always favored a backing band in matching outfits, and his was decked out in dockworker denim livery, complete with suspenders, but their personalities as players shined through nonetheless. Long-time collaborator, guitarist Boz Boorer, commanded the left side of the stage, the right flank being held down multi-instrumentalist Gustavo Manzur, whose influence is apparent on the latest album, World Peace Is None Of Your Business, with it’s many world music-tinged tunes. The band was incredibly tight, and in top form, to the point where a happy accident was not likely to happen."

you may not like him and music is somewhat personal and relative but the opinion at large seems to be his songs were pretty awesome on the last album and that the band is as good as ever

One of the most understated and lovely pieces of music Morrissey's ever sung along to.
Written by J Tobias.

Yes, he really upped himself on that album. Very impressive. Forgive Someone and Smiler are masterpieces.

Written by J Tobias.

No offense but honestly, I think you were drinking when you typed out that post.

Tobias compositions are pretty bad.

I agree with the folks who say Jesse has vastly improved with his songwriting on "World Peace." However, I think it speaks volumes when the guy is unable to contribute anything more than a handful of songs on a Morrissey album within the past 10 years. I'd hate to hear Jesse's unreleased musical demos which Morrissey has already rejected!

I agree with the folks who say Jesse has vastly improved with his songwriting on "World Peace." However, I think it speaks volumes when the guy is unable to contribute anything more than a handful of songs on a Morrissey album within the past 10 years. I'd hate to hear Jesse's unreleased musical demos which Morrissey has already rejected!

Well he was in "competition" with people who already had years of experience writing songs with him. It takes time to find chemistry especially when you don't have all of there focus and are perhaps new and nervous to whatever level. Might have just taken some time to get some confidence. How long did it take Harrison to start contributing songs to the Beatles. Don't think it was because he didn't have it in him but partly, as hes said, he was nervous competing with John and Paul

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom