Another Morrissey photo posted by @mrjakewalters / Instagram

Another Jake picture of Moz appeared on his Instagram:

41928_morissey_sinatra_elvis.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elvis basically did that with the '68 Comeback Special and Morrissey with with the Quarry tour (with its massive '68-style MORRISSEY letters and the quiff back in fine form). If you do it more than a couple times it starts to have a real bad look...

Ah yes, the quiff which had a most mysterious resurgence. Did anybody ever get to the bottom of that? It really did look like he had something done during his 'wilderness years'. If he did, I think it was an excellent job - very subtle, and just enough.

Not as good as the one of Morrissey's arse. Which made you wonder if Jake gave it to him bigtime, and what other pictures Jake took. Who swallowed whom.

Ah yes, the quiff which had a most mysterious resurgence. Did anybody ever get to the bottom of that? It really did look like he had something done during his 'wilderness years'. If he did, I think it was an excellent job - very subtle, and just enough.
Agree. The quiff was solid but not 1991 other worldly (the sideburns a little shaky). Great return album with outstanding singles. Great press, great reviews, completely relevant--not simply a nostalgia act. Morrissey delivered at age 45 something that even the Stones couldn't.

Agree. The quiff was solid but not 1991 other worldly (the sideburns a little shaky). Great return album with outstanding singles. Great press, great reviews, completely relevant--not simply a nostalgia act. Morrissey delivered at age 45 something that even the Stones couldn't.

Yes, I agree, even though I don't like everything on it, it does have some stonking tracks and feels like a proper album. Great cover, too :( Something's happened since. I'm not sure what, but he's different, and the music's suffered, in my opinion. It does seem to coincide with Alain Whyte leaving.

Yes, I agree, even though I don't like everything on it, it does have some stonking tracks and feels like a proper album. Great cover, too :( Something's happened since. I'm not sure what, but he's different, and the music's suffered, in my opinion. It does seem to coincide with Alain Whyte leaving.
Alain Whyte was a huge loss.

I liked this thread. The photo of a beautiful Morrissey from those Vauxhall and I days , the video clip with a very handsome Elvis together with Ol' blue eyes and that simple, devoted and somewhat childish love of Morrissey that a forum like this should be all about.

But regarding You are the quarry and the comments about that it had great press and reviews... Well, not entirely: Just read two depressing reviews of this almost a masterpiece; one from BBC and the other from the Guardian (nothing has changed there) from back in the day. Won't link them as they are just crashing bores, but maybe we have selective memory at times.

Went to a talk with a producer of England Is Mine and he said they could not depict anything that would imply Morrissey was homosexual because they were afraid of a lawsuit.

And righty so.
They could have tried to depict him as humasexual, even if that term didn’t really exist at the time.

By the way, the whole gender issue is absent which is strange as it is such a big issue for Moz.

The movie lacks that part of his personality.

Afraid, yes, that’s what they are.

Went to a talk with a producer of England Is Mine and he said they could not depict anything that would imply Morrissey was homosexual because they were afraid of a lawsuit.

Which would beg the question ~ then why make the film when you knew going in it would be a half-arsed (literally) cartoon Karaoke depiction, eliminating an (arguably) huge chunk of your main character's persona?

*cough*CA$H*cough*

They did it once with Curtis, and they thought they could do it again with Morrissey.
Tricky shit with the living (among other things) ~ they sue.

I don't know why people think that homosexual people have sex all the time.

I'm sorry but I have no clue what homosexual people do with their spare time. Humasexual people though are clearly at it like rabbits :p

Which would beg the question ~ then why make the film when you knew going in it would be a half-arsed (literally) cartoon Karaoke depiction, eliminating an (arguably) huge chunk of your main character's persona?

*cough*CA$H*cough*

They did it once with Curtis, and they thought they could do it again with Morrissey.
Tricky shit with the living (among other things) ~ they sue.

I'm not sure entirely about the cash aspect. This is pretty small potatoes, as films go. Also I've read several interviews with Mark Gill and it did sound like he was a die-hard fan, and the project was a real labour of love. But I agree that it's a mistake to paper over his sexual ambiguity as it is indeed a huge chunk of his character - in fact not only a huge chunk, but probably the biggest identifiable aspect of him to many, after the 'miserable' tag. Pity they lost their bottle.

Last edited:
I'm not sure entirely about the cash aspect. This is pretty small potatoes, as films go. Also I've read several interviews with Mark Gill and it did sound like he was a die-hard fan, and the project was a real labour of love. But I agree that it's a mistake to paper over his sexual ambiguity as it is indeed a huge chunk of his character - in fact not only a huge chunk, but probably the biggest identifiable aspect of him to many, after the 'miserable' tag. Pity they lost their bottle.

I agree that it was a labor of love. They tried to get Morrissey involved but there was no response. They didn't portray him as a macho straight guy by any means, but they left out any overtly gay stuff. There were some shy furtive glances at Billy Duffy and Johnny Marr, which were sweet. However they did portray him as an outsider, a guy too idiosyncratic to fit in with a job or even normal people. His character also included depression, humor and writing constantly in a little notebook. And most of all the yearning to break out of that grey, depressing world and the feeling that there was some greatness in him that wasn't readily apparent to anyone around him until Johnny came along. I thought they did a good job with the movie - I enjoyed it.

I agree that it was a labor of love. They tried to get Morrissey involved but there was no response. They didn't portray him as a macho straight guy by any means, but they left out any overtly gay stuff. There were some shy furtive glances at Billy Duffy and Johnny Marr, which were sweet. However they did portray him as an outsider, a guy too idiosyncratic to fit in with a job or even normal people. His character also included depression, humor and writing constantly in a little notebook. And most of all the yearning to break out of that grey, depressing world and the feeling that there was some greatness in him that wasn't readily apparent to anyone around him until Johnny came along. I thought they did a good job with the movie - I enjoyed it.
Interesting. I haven't yet seen it. I've read so many critical reviews (many on here) that I decided not to bother, but after reading this, perhaps I will. I guess the trouble with icons is that people have so much invested in them that any attempt to depict them as mere flesh and blood are bound to seem 2-dimensional.

Interesting. I haven't yet seen it. I've read so many critical reviews (many on here) that I decided not to bother, but after reading this, perhaps I will. I guess the trouble with icons is that people have so much invested in them that any attempt to depict them as mere flesh and blood are bound to seem 2-dimensional.

Yes, by all means, see the movie. It's an indie movie - Moz was only ever going to be a shy, introverted depressive guy with some wit and smarts. He's not going to be a exciting, wise-cracking, fiery type. Not sure what people were expecting. Now - the young Johnny Marr movie is the one I really want to see!

Back
Top Bottom