"At 58, Is Morrissey Relevant?" by Dodie Miller-Gould - LemonWire

"At 58, Is Morrissey Relevant?" by Dodie Miller-Gould - LemonWire

In a nutshell: the writer feels he is still relevant.

Excerpt:

"Thirty-five years ago, The Smiths, an alternative pop band from Manchester, England, showed the world what it would sound like if ideas about sexual purity and vegetarianism were set to a punk beat, driven home with an acrobatic bass line, and sung in painful clarity by one of the clearest tenors in modern rock. The Smiths’ lead singer, Steven Patrick Morrissey, known simply as “Morrissey” or “Moz” was responsible for shaping the band’s ethos and as a result, generations of fans turn to Morrissey to get a heaping serving of reality with sarcasm and wit on the side."

Regards,
FWD.

Oh, "After a brief tour this spring, there are rumors of more tour dates, and this excites many." - did I miss something?

Last edited by a moderator:
In a nutshell: the writer feels he is still relevant.

Excerpt:

"Thirty-five years ago, The Smiths, an alternative pop band from Manchester, England, showed the world what it would sound like if ideas about sexual purity and vegetarianism were set to a punk beat, driven home with an acrobatic bass line, and sung in painful clarity by one of the clearest tenors in modern rock. The Smiths’ lead singer, Steven Patrick Morrissey, known simply as “Morrissey” or “Moz” was responsible for shaping the band’s ethos and as a result, generations of fans turn to Morrissey to get a heaping serving of reality with sarcasm and wit on the side."

http://www.lemonwire.com/2017/05/18/58-morrissey-relevant/

Regards,
FWD.

Oh, "After a brief tour this spring, there are rumors of more tour dates, and this excites many." - did I miss something?

Well, he or she started one rumor now, I guess. :rolleyes:
Nice to hear a voice saying he is still relevant but not much insights have been given as to why he still is.
Especially when the ones that are given all refer to The Smiths and nothing about his so much longer solo-years. Yes, Keats and Yates, and Wilde may still be on his side. So?
Thanks for sharing anyway! :thumb:

I miss the 80s when people TRIED to be different. There was an explosion of creativity and I think people felt more free back then. He hasn't changed, he hasn't tried to accomodate. I don't want him to be relevant.

The headline alone is enough to stop me reading the story. Ageist muck and I don't care what the writer thinks. I don't need his or anyone's validation. Great Music is timeless.
Do The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Blondie, AC/DC, etc have to deal with the same boring questions about age?

Ya don't need an Amazing Turkey Brain to know Moz has always been an original. Do you really think an artist with an original style could ever be irrelevant?

His music is relevant, but like anybody at this stage in their career, he is increasingly less so.
No offense, but is Paul McCartney relevant? Mick Jagger? Sure, they go on with the show, but it's hardly Earth shaking. But the music still sells, new fans come into the fold, etc.

The headline alone is enough to stop me reading the story. Ageist muck and I don't care what the writer thinks. I don't need his or anyone's validation. Great Music is timeless.
Do The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Blondie, AC/DC, etc have to deal with the same boring questions about age?

But they don't bore us to death performing the same old songs year after year after year.
They have proper musicians who know how to perform their work.
They are reliable to show up and perform or if the worst happens keep the fans informed and re-schedule dates.
They are appealing to the music industry.
They all deserve their place in rock and roll history.
Good luck to them, long may they continue.

Steven however is a total CrankFraud dried up has been. Caught out living in plush leather/fur/ and Michelin 5* meat menu hotels.
So called vegan yet guilty of smuggling cheese into meat free venues.
I could go on and on but what is the point ?

Let's just throw him in the sea alongside Bin Lid On.

Steve is dead boys !

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

But they don't bore us to death performing the same old songs year after year after year.
They have proper musicians who know how to perform their work.
They are reliable to show up and perform or if the worst happens keep the fans informed and re-schedule dates.
They are appealing to the music industry.
They all deserve their place in rock and roll history.
Good luck to them, long may they continue.

Steven however is a total CrankFraud dried up has been. Caught out living in plush leather/fur/ and Michelin 5* meat menu hotels.
So called vegan yet guilty of smuggling cheese into meat free venues.
I could go on and on but what is the point ?

Let's just throw him in the sea alongside Bin Lid On.

Steve is dead boys !

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

But you said that for many years now and ultimately were proven wrong every time!
So any prediction of him or so-called "rumor" is highly premature and exaggerated and every time you must feel disappointed.
And then, who is going to replace him for you Benny?
He might outlive you basically due to his healthy food regime, maybe the cheese isn't that bad? :oops:

AS LONG AS THERE ARE HUMANS ON THIS PLANET... MORRISSEY WILL BE RELEVANT.

:rock:

The young have this idea that life will go on like usual as you get older but everyone changes and it is not for the better. It's impossible for Moz or anyone his age to produce something that still feels important or even valuable.

It is obvious he has reconciled with life and the two have this love/hate relationship now. Moz even told the swedish journo that when you turn 40 you cry a lot and I think that says it all.

Far too many people here are incredibly badly educated when it comes to what Moz has stated in his past life yet they all claim to know this and that. Just like any type of car mechanics forum really.

why do we come here everyday, the Facebook groups, that all says enough that Morrissey is more than relevant, as I might say, even the last of the music Legends whith an enormous back cataloque...and
in the future, well if all's well, there's still new songs to be released.

Released, that the point, he won't last another gap of 7 years, so a new album must be released this or the upcoming year, I don't mind if it's a tiny little recordcompany

I have faith, and a new home

I invited two plumber buddies for a beer on my couch today who both graduated high school in 2008. Neither of them could name the band U2 while it played on the radio. Who gives a shit about relevance.

I invited two plumber buddies for a beer on my couch today who both graduated high school in 2008. Neither of them could name the band U2 while it played on the radio. Who gives a shit about relevance.

One of the greatest bands ever, pathetic that they can't name them.

His music is relevant, but like anybody at this stage in their career, he is increasingly less so.
No offense, but is Paul McCartney relevant? Mick Jagger? Sure, they go on with the show, but it's hardly Earth shaking. But the music still sells, new fans come into the fold, etc.

I think this is somewhat true though ive been amazed at times his ability to stay as relevant as he has with this newest phase of albums from quarry on. He still gets a good amount of young fans and I think the number greater than the stones got win there last one etc. I think it also just a matter of culture moving on and absorbing you and your ideas somewhat. What he did originally seemed more striking because it was done in an era more socially culturally conservative than than the current one. His comments about sex, his animal rights stances and the stereotypes he put forth are all now much more he norm. Kinda like how some of punk rock lost its thunder as what they were doing got absorbed into the mainstream.l and normalized for better or worse. Not saying it's the overriding factor of his relevance but I think it an important one

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom