"Born Brilliant" new Kenneth Williams biography out now

Librarian On Fire

Some might already know. There is a new biography out on Kenneth Williams titled, "Born Brilliant: The Life of Kenneth Williams" by Christopher Stevens. I've haven't read it yet. I have it on order through work, yes the library. There was a very favourable review in Saturday's edition of the New Zealand Herald. Kenneth was really plagued his entire life by his self unacceptance of this sexuality. It tormented him endlessly and made him a very unhappy fellow. He used to colour code his diary entries. Red ink for health entries. Blue for social events etc.

Wonder if Morrissey knows about the book? Does he browse in W H Smiths?

Ooh, great news! Will check it out. Cheers

Thanks for the heads up LonF.
I'm in the middle of Russell Davies "The Kenneth Williams Diaries",... so tht one will be next up on my Xmas book list!:p:thumb:

Review of "Born Brilliant, The life of Kenneth Williams"

I read the Kenneth Williams biography by Christopher Stevens over the Christmas break. Stevens has done well with this biography. If I remember correctly Morrissey said on Williams death that the was the last great Englishman. I don't have my notes on me, but I am sure it was something very similar to that. Morrissey was right. Williams was pretty much the last of the great Englishmen alive. One of the great entertainers anyway. I know Graham Norton is Irish, but you just can't feel the same about Graham. He seems a poor weak version of what Williams was.

There were many quirks I liked about Williams. The fact he would keep his suit on while at the beach. He would keep his friends separate from other friends. His unique voice which no one has really ever matched. Yet for all his humour and ability to make others laugh, Williams does cut a rather lonely figure. Very much a case of when he goes home the laugher stops. He was homosexual mentally but very much remained a "Virgin Queen" physically. He was a ceaseless reader and valued those who read. He was at his happiest discussing books with others. He had many mates, but very very few friends and of course he was diarist nearly his entire life. The end of his life was sad. He loved the stage most of all but he ended up acting in so many flop productions. It was the Carry On movies and radio work that kept him in business. The TV chat shows of the 70's kept him in demand but he started to become tired of being wheeled out to tell the same old anecdotes over and over again. He died lonely and very much alone.

There has been some discussion around how Morrissey and Stephen Fry would probably get along quite well together if they were introduced. I've always thought the opposite. Although they share a love for Oscar Wilde, Fry was the student who partook in Footlights, is friends with Prince Charles, moved with some quite well do to people. Morrissey like Williams is simply working class. Both never betrayed their roots. Williams and Morrissey would have most likely sat around a pot of tea and gossiped about who they know.

I've been listening to some "Round the Horne" recordings. They simply were genius.

I am looking forward to reading this book. I thought Michael Sheen very wonderful when he essayed the role of Kenneth Williams in "Fantabulosa!". The entire programme is available for viewing in eight parts on youtube.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkF_KqcQD6o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkF_KqcQD6o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I am looking forward to reading this book. I thought Michael Sheen very wonderful when he essayed the role of Kenneth Williams in "Fantabulosa!". The entire programme is available for viewing in eight parts on youtube.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkF_KqcQD6o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkF_KqcQD6o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Another reccommendation for this. I've watched it several times and it's fantastic.

Re: Review of "Born Brilliant, The life of Kenneth Williams"

I read the Kenneth Williams biography by Christopher Stevens over the Christmas break. Stevens has done well with this biography. If I remember correctly Morrissey said on Williams death that the was the last great Englishman. I don't have my notes on me, but I am sure it was something very similar to that. Morrissey was right. Williams was pretty much the last of the great Englishmen alive. One of the great entertainers anyway. I know Graham Norton is Irish, but you just can't feel the same about Graham. He seems a poor weak version of what Williams was.

There were many quirks I liked about Williams. The fact he would keep his suit on while at the beach. He would keep his friends separate from other friends. His unique voice which no one has really ever matched. Yet for all his humour and ability to make others laugh, Williams does cut a rather lonely figure. Very much a case of when he goes home the laugher stops. He was homosexual mentally but very much remained a "Virgin Queen" physically. He was a ceaseless reader and valued those who read. He was at his happiest discussing books with others. He had many mates, but very very few friends and of course he was diarist nearly his entire life. The end of his life was sad. He loved the stage most of all but he ended up acting in so many flop productions. It was the Carry On movies and radio work that kept him in business. The TV chat shows of the 70's kept him in demand but he started to become tired of being wheeled out to tell the same old anecdotes over and over again. He died lonely and very much alone.

There has been some discussion around how Morrissey and Stephen Fry would probably get along quite well together if they were introduced. I've always thought the opposite. Although they share a love for Oscar Wilde, Fry was the student who partook in Footlights, is friends with Prince Charles, moved with some quite well do to people. Morrissey like Williams is simply working class. Both never betrayed their roots. Williams and Morrissey would have most likely sat around a pot of tea and gossiped about who they know.

I've been listening to some "Round the Horne" recordings. They simply were genius.

You might be thinking of Charles Hawtrey. Morrissey wrote, in his Obituary penned for the NME..."The very last comic genius. Charles Hawtrey's death ties in with the advance chill of 1992, the slaughter of the British passport, and the last death wheeze of the real England"

Fantabulosa is one terrific piece of cinema! Adore it. Thanks to Girl With The Thorn (I think) who provided me with the recommendation. ;)

You might be thinking of Charles Hawtrey. Morrissey wrote, in his Obituary penned for the NME..."The very last comic genius. Charles Hawtrey's death ties in with the advance chill of 1992, the slaughter of the British passport, and the last death wheeze of the real England"

Yes, in hindsight you are right. Did Morrissey say anything about the passing of Williams? I'm not sure if there are any biographies of Hawtry. I'll have a look today. Hawtrey was so unique and original, and yet very little is really known about him.

Yes, in hindsight you are right. Did Morrissey say anything about the passing of Williams? I'm not sure if there are any biographies of Hawtry. I'll have a look today. Hawtrey was so unique and original, and yet very little is really known about him.

After Williams' death in 1988 Morrissey said the following ~
" I loved his bomb-shelter Britishness, his touch-me-not wit, his be-ironed figure, stylishly non-sexual; his facial features were as funny as anything he ever said...those special clenched timings and aghast priggish close-ups. The passion absent in his celibate existence appeared to the brim, and past the brim, in his work. Another irreplaceable strip of Britishness falls away..."
...and now he fancies Steve McQueen ;)

there is also a bit about kenneth talking at the details 1994 interview
The diaries of Kenneth Williams, a British comedian who starred in many of the bawdy, slapstick, working-class Carry On films that Morrissey loves, were published recently. In them, Williams, a gay man ill at ease with his own sexuality who lived in semi-isolation, talked frequently about the desirability of death.
"Have you read the diaries?" I ask.
"Of course," he answers.
"I thought in a lot of ways Williams was quite similar to you," I say. "Which is not a great compliment, obviously."
The warning laugh comes again. "Obviously he was powerfully unhappy from birth to death," says Morrissey, "and embedded with hatred for everyone around him."
"But also found intimacy rather repulsive."
"Yes, but I wonder whether that wasn't simply because he finds himself repulsive and couldn't possibly believe that anybody else could ever want him. And," he says, changing gear from third person to second, "if you feel that way, then nobody else does want you." I have lost track of exactly who he's talking about here. Himself or Williams. He says he had to stop reading the diaries because he found them so depressing. "But I suppose," he says, "all these things are embedded within us at a very early age and you simply go through life repeating the same mistakes. There's nothing you can do about it because all those emotions are cast in stone."
"There are lots of people who make a living saying they are not cast in stone."
Morrissey lowers his voice and answers, "That's a blatant lie. Occasionally people like Gloria Steinem come up with interesting comments like 'It's never too late to have a happy childhood.' But it is."
"What did your psychiatrists tell you?"
"For the most part they listened, which is very excrutiating to me."

Fantabulosa is one terrific piece of cinema! Adore it. Thanks to Girl With The Thorn (I think) who provided me with the recommendation. ;)

Yes, it was me. No problem. :)

there is also a bit about kenneth talking at the details 1994 interview

Interesting, I'd never seen that before. Thanks for posting it.

Back
Top Bottom