Curious as to who the other person in this photo is?

Spooked

IMG_4527.jpeg

Based on the shirt, boots and frayed jeans this is circa '92.

That's Zach Snyder proposing a director's cut of the Tomorrow video for an extra $2 million for all the fx.

it will be a journalist from yesteryear,we may never know who it is.

Hmm, it seems to be scanned from an article somewhere, interesting that nobody is able to find it. I could swear that I saw that picture somewhere already but it could also be that it was just the same snippet without context.🤔

It's clearly from a magazine or newspaper - you can see the lettering on the next page bleeding through. My money is on some random journo.

If you flip the image and adjust the contrast you can read some of the writing from the other side of the page, and it does not appear to be in English - from the word 'Leben' I presume it's from a German article?

If you flip the image and adjust the contrast you can read some of the writing from the other side of the page, and it does not appear to be in English - from the word 'Leben' I presume it's from a German article?
PassionsJustLikeMine says:

April 1988 - Tempo (Germany)
An edited version of the recent (2/88) Len Brown interview that appeared in the NME. Photos by Andrew MacPherson.

Could it be from this?

I believe David & I went through a pile of information in 2021 to come up with (in no way complete):
(I think the camera on shoulder was discounted as being him).
Regards,
FWD.

Don't recall seeing this one in previous searching:

tim_broad_blitz_magazine_199001.png

Edit: large image from: https://blitzmagazine.co.uk/img/issues/85/files/page/9.png

— British video director, Tim Broad, best known for his work with The Smiths and @morrisseyofficial, died of AIDS in 1993 at the age of 38.

Photographed by Gino Sprio and interviewed by David Davies for @blitzmagazineuk No 85 January 1990.

"There's no going back," says Tim Broad, "there's nothing else I want to do. I love making music videos. I see them as films."

Not that such an attitude stops him from wanting to be a great feature film director by the age of 50.

"I want to make films that engage people's emotions. A good film engrosses you, it can make you cry, make you laugh, it can make me anxious and politically rebellious and apply the same criteria to making videos. And why not? Why go for anything less?"

Broad has a mean talent for producing the kind of videos you remember. Morrissey's “Suedehead” tribute to James Dean. The beach beauty of @deaconbluemusic’s 'Dignity.’ And most recently Morrissey's forest frolicking “Ouija Board.’

Broad attributes such success to the rapport he develops with the music makers. “I apply my skills to building the image the artist wants and that requires a lot of empathy," he says, “which probably happens because I'm not pretentious and I'm honest."

Such empathy has meant that Morrissey won't work with any other video director. It has also put, among other things, a £1,000 leather jacket on Broad's back. “I spend my money very rapidly; he admits, “and I couldn't feel guilt about it."

Full @blitzmagazineuk issues available to view online at blitzmagazine.co.uk #whatisrememberedlives

Last edited:
Don't recall seeing this one in previous searching:

View attachment 100718
Edit: large image from: https://blitzmagazine.co.uk/img/issues/85/files/page/9.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcJB4GGoA8L/
— British video director, Tim Broad, best known for his work with The Smiths and @morrisseyofficial, died of AIDS in 1993 at the age of 38.

Photographed by Gino Sprio and interviewed by David Davies for @blitzmagazineuk No 85 January 1990.

"There's no going back," says Tim Broad, "there's nothing else I want to do. I love making music videos. I see them as films."

Not that such an attitude stops him from wanting to be a great feature film director by the age of 50.

"I want to make films that engage people's emotions. A good film engrosses you, it can make you cry, make you laugh, it can make me anxious and politically rebellious and apply the same criteria to making videos. And why not? Why go for anything less?"

Broad has a mean talent for producing the kind of videos you remember. Morrissey's “Suedehead” tribute to James Dean. The beach beauty of @deaconbluemusic’s 'Dignity.’ And most recently Morrissey's forest frolicking “Ouija Board.’

Broad attributes such success to the rapport he develops with the music makers. “I apply my skills to building the image the artist wants and that requires a lot of empathy," he says, “which probably happens because I'm not pretentious and I'm honest."

Such empathy has meant that Morrissey won't work with any other video director. It has also put, among other things, a £1,000 leather jacket on Broad's back. “I spend my money very rapidly; he admits, “and I couldn't feel guilt about it."

Full @blitzmagazineuk issues available to view online at blitzmagazine.co.uk #whatisrememberedlives

Hey! a proper photo of Tim! Thanks David (y)

hard to tell, maybe it could be Tim Board
in the op’s thread photo.

still think it’s some anonymous interviewer though.

yeah, the frayed jeans where a flag to me too.

But I don’t remember his hair being shaved that close and high up, in 92.

I judge it by these photos in 89 …

This photo taken from a Your Arsenal instore appearance in America. haircut fits the timeline.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 142243.png

👆 In store was Vinyl Solution, 1992.
(Sideburns were shaped later in the year).

There was an interview in the German magazine Spex in 1992 that took place in Paris - info from this post:

Interviewer is listed as Sascha Lazimbat

Back
Top Bottom