CV Help

Ok, I am doing a CV as I need a job.

Just wondering, in the section about referees and references who do I get them from?

Can my parents do one or does it have to be somebody like a teacher or former employer?

Love PTxx.

I'm confused. This is the only definition I have CV to mean:

"Constant-velocity joints (aka homokinetic or CV joints) allow a rotating shaft to transmit power through a variable angle, at constant rotational speed, without an appreciable increase in friction or play. They are mainly used in front wheel drive and all wheel drive cars. However, rear wheel drive cars with independent rear suspensions typically use CV joints at the ends of the rear axle halfshafts. Audi Quattros use them for all four half-axles and on the front-to-rear driveshaft (propeller shaft) as well, for a total of ten CV joints."

I thought you needed help replacing the CV joint in your car. :lbf:

I'm confused. This is the only definition I have CV to mean:

"Constant-velocity joints (aka homokinetic or CV joints) allow a rotating shaft to transmit power through a variable angle, at constant rotational speed, without an appreciable increase in friction or play. They are mainly used in front wheel drive and all wheel drive cars. However, rear wheel drive cars with independent rear suspensions typically use CV joints at the ends of the rear axle halfshafts. Audi Quattros use them for all four half-axles and on the front-to-rear driveshaft (propeller shaft) as well, for a total of ten CV joints."

I thought you needed help replacing the CV joint in your car. :lbf:

CV in this case means something like Curriculum Vitae. It is basically something you include when applying for a job. It has your personal info., then any qualifications you have etc.

Love PTxx.

CV in this case means something like Curriculum Vitae. It is basically something you include when applying for a job. It has your personal info., then any qualifications you have etc.

Love PTxx.

No your mum & dad can't do it. Teacher yes. Civil servant, police, doctor, priest. Surely you can find better places/ people to ask than on here though could you not?

If you have an employment history you will be expected to put down your current/last employer. If you've only been in education then a teacher/lecturer. If you have done voluntary work, then use them (but ask first).

No your mum & dad can't do it. Teacher yes. Civil servant, police, doctor, priest. Surely you can find better places/ people to ask than on here though could you not?

Yeah, but as I was typing it on my laptop and had this place open in another window I thought I may as well!

Love PTxx.

If you have an employment history you will be expected to put down your current/last employer. If you've only been in education then a teacher/lecturer. If you have done voluntary work, then use them (but ask first).

Ok, thanks, I shall ask my teachers at some point!

Love PTxx.

Try not to make your CV too wordy. It can depend on what kind of job you're going for in which industry but generally 2-3 pages is the longest it should be. Keep it short and sweet, this is me, this is what I've done, this is what I can do, and these are the referees to back me up :).

Brel is right.
List what you have done. Voluntary work should definately be included. If (like a Scouser) you have never worked, then put down a teacher / college staff.

Jukebox Jury

Try not to make your CV too wordy. It can depend on what kind of job you're going for in which industry but generally 2-3 pages is the longest it should be. Keep it short and sweet, this is me, this is what I've done, this is what I can do, and these are the referees to back me up :).

One page only...... keep it all on one page.... the last thing an employer wants to read is an epic.....
I left school 30 years ago this June:eek: and have only had 7 employers in that time, but only list as far back as 4 employers (1992) as that is all I've had since gaining my degree at the Polytechnic. A list of lots of employers means you have left lots of jobs!
Keep it brief, keep it relevant.

Jukebox Jury

One page only...... keep it all on one page.... the last thing an employer wants to read is an epic.....
I left school 30 years ago this June:eek: and have only had 7 employers in that time, but only list as far back as 4 employers (1992) as that is all I've had since gaining my degree at the Polytechnic. A list of lots of employers means you have left lots of jobs!
Keep it brief, keep it relevant.

Jukebox Jury

Cheers, the thing which is making it longer than 1 page is my exam results. I have 11 GCSEs which are listed one under the other and that forces it to be longer.

Love PTxx.

I just put "References available on request".

I don't want to list people that are no longer at that company, or too few or too many, or personal referees when the employer wants professional ones.

I think having a single page is bollocks. You want to list as many elements of each job as possible. I've only got 4 jobs on the 1st page, so if I need the 2nd for qualifications etc then I might as well list the rest of the jobs I've had.

I used just to have the one page, consisting of jobs similar to what I was looking for, but then I was asked by an agency to go into more detail to show. 'transferable skills'.

Last edited:
Cheers, the thing which is making it longer than 1 page is my exam results. I have 11 GCSEs which are listed one under the other and that forces it to be longer.

Love PTxx.

I just put "References available on request".

I don't want to list people that are no longer at that company, or too few or too many, or personal referees when the employer wants professional ones.

I think having a single page is bollocks. You want to list as many elements of each job as possible. I've only got 4 jobs on the 1st page, so if I need the 2nd for qualifications etc then I might as well list the rest of the jobs I've had.

I used just to have the one page, consisting of jobs similar to what I was looking for, but then I was asked by an agency to go into more detail to show. 'transferable skills'.

PT, maybe put just your exams on the second page (on 1st page, when it comes to exams, say ''see over leaf''.

j funk, take your point, but I still say keep it to one page.....(or as mentioned above with PT). I do interview people for jobs etc and wading through application forms is bad enough without pages of CV's too - especially the ones that say
''I am a conscientious worker, good communicator, excellent timekeeper and team player'' etc etc.
Like you are going to say that you are neither of those things:lbf:
Most employers I imagine, believe a lot of what is written on CV's is incorrect.... so just stick to the bare facts.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Tags
attentionseeker jj & thatcher
Back
Top Bottom