Fiona Dodwell: "A Rebel Without Promo" (January 5, 2023)

It wasn't new material, but when I first saw the Specials at the Manchester Apollo in 2011 (?), they were selling a live recording of the very gig that you just saw and listened to, for around £20-25 if I remember correctly. The gig was recorded that very night, by "Abbey Road Live", and burned onto CDs on the same night, which came in an LP style folding sleeve, which had been signed by the band. You put in your order before the band came on, then picked it up from the merch stall within 30 minutes of the gig ending. They obviously sold like mad, and I still have mine. It's totally unique to the gig that you saw, enabling you to cherish and recall the memory of it all even more.

Morrissey could very easily do something like this, rather than selling signed LPs of other artists for £200+ a pop.

Edit: here is said CD. It's lovely, and it's signed by the original line up (minus Jerry) before Neville and Roddy left, and before John and Terry sadly passed away.
View attachment 87636

View attachment 87637

To do this you have to have absolute confidence in yourself and your band. Johnny Marr did this with two shows on his Call the Comet tour. The London show had a guest appearance by Matt Johnson. Check out the Comet Tripper recordings.

Also, he likes to talk about his perceived enemies, but what about his friends, namely someone like Jonathan Ross, who has his own TV chat show on ITV? He may have done so already, but surely he can have a chat with him and get on there?

Yes it was a brilliant interview he did with JR a few years ago, very witty.

Does anyone here consider Fiona to be a Morrissey insider? Has she heard the full Bonfire album and does she have any special insight into its current status?

Here she speaks of the Veronica track needing re-recording and not just the Miley element in need of replacement. Is there any truth in this, or I am hopelessly scanning signs for something substantial about the fate of Bonfire - my most anticipated record of 2023.
She know where Morrissey keeps his fairy liquid under the sink if that's what you mean

Rebels is alright, but was obviously not going to trouble the charts. Look at chart positions of singles by huge artists in recent years. Look at how the chart changed before, during and after Christmas. He’s complaining about the outcome of a game that he’s not actually playing. If a lot of kids aren’t playing your music, you’re not going top 5 in the singles chart again.

f*** of Fiona. Morrissey has always surrounded himself with overweight women. I think the in pc term is “fag hags”. Look at Jen ivory for confirmation!!

Umm, the #73 ranking may have something to do with the fact that the song sucks???

It's hard for almost all new music now. I saw an alarming statistic on the news a few days ago that said 86% of all the songs streamed by listeners are more than 12 months old. You can bet this percentage increases in the month before Christmas, too. Spotify alone adds another track every 1.4 seconds (22 million per year).

Umm, the #73 ranking may have something to do with the fact that the song sucks???

The song doesn’t exactly suck, it’s a re-hash of Cemetry Gates, it might have been a hit in another era, but no more. Funny how Moz is all puffed up with his own genius, but this lightweight fluff is what he puts out as evidence. Especially egregious is the awful twinkly keyboard solo.

Spot on analysis...no matter how you look at this issue, Capitol treats M like shite, why buy the rights to an album, do no promotion, unless you have scores to settle from the World Peace album.

lol Maaattteee . I can't believe he got her to write this .
He does himself no favours . As a feck load of us have said, nobody reads FD's stuff but hardcore fans and 99% of them know she is staff .

We know when David Bowie is mentioned by her or Sam it's because M told them to load the question- which shows how obsessed he was/is with Bowie. Although he tries to play it down .

The record companies aren't stupid they will know she's M's PR
I liked his blog post the other day . It was littered with little digs and lies
Like the one about MC not singing at the One Love event , because it's not her thing
Like the fact she wanted to be on the record and it was all her doing the running. M re writing history . M wanted to get clicks by name dropping
and it back fired . Move on
He should have left it at that , there was enough truth in the post to be a nice read .
But he just gets so carried away in Trump like levels
This is what I mean about M not having good people around to talk him out of this stuff .it may have sounded harsh what a said about Boz ,Alain and James but I was just saying it how I saw it . I have only spoken to Boz and Alain a few things times and I have never spoken to James but I have heard enough to make an educated guess and these posts by M and FD are proof .
I wish M well but I wish to feck he would stop this stuff

And by way of comparison, a band I love, called the Country Side of Harmonica Sam, a small band from Sweden, who play honky tonk country music and barely play any gigs outside of Sweden, have 28k views on this video:

I also think they are a good example of self-promotion. During the lockdown(s) in Sweden, they recorded a series of videos in a band member's home, recorded by said band member's daughter, playing the songs live, and released them on YouTube and Instagram. It would be so, so easy for Morrissey to do something like this, but he won't.

Their vinyl records are released by a small independent record company in Spain, called El Toro. If a small band from Sweden can get a record deal, then there's no reason why Morrissey can't, except for his own self-sabotage.

I also love Country Side! Easily the best real country band playing today. You my friend, have incredibly good taste!

Fiona has nothing interesting to say. Where did she crawl from? and why does that MozzeriansATW account act like Fiona is their friend and somehow they’re connected to Morrissey.

yawn.

lol Maaattteee . I can't believe he got her to write this .
He does himself no favours . As a feck load of us have said, nobody reads FD's stuff but hardcore fans and 99% of them know she is staff .

We know when David Bowie is mentioned by her or Sam it's because M told them to load the question- which shows how obsessed he was/is with Bowie. Although he tries to play it down .

The record companies aren't stupid they will know she's M's PR
I liked his blog post the other day . It was littered with little digs and lies
Like the one about MC not singing at the One Love event , because it's not her thing
Like the fact she wanted to be on the record and it was all her doing the running. M re writing history . M wanted to get clicks by name dropping
and it back fired . Move on
He should have left it at that , there was enough truth in the post to be a nice read .
But he just gets so carried away in Trump like levels
This is what I mean about M not having good people around to talk him out of this stuff .it may have sounded harsh what a said about Boz ,Alain and James but I was just saying it how I saw it . I have only spoken to Boz and Alain a few things times and I have never spoken to James but I have heard enough to make an educated guess and these posts by M and FD are proof .
I wish M well but I wish to feck he would stop this stuff
what did you say about boz and alain?

"true artist": a performer with low album sales/alienated fanbase, who instead of being grateful for finally getting a record deal, gets sycophantic dog on a chain "journalist" to bitch online about said deal.

"non-artist":none of the above.

Capitol's next venomous act will be to wait and release Bonfire the same time M releases the next LP.
Which would be...never? Seriously - who's going to sign Morrissey now? First we get the Harvest clusterf***, then his relationship with Capitol turns into a slagging match within a few weeks of signing. What label wants this hassle?

Capitol did a bad job of promotin' the song.
No advanced notice or nothin'.
They could have at least promoted it the same
way the new Iggy stuff got promoted.

"true artist": a performer with low album sales/alienated fanbase, who instead of being grateful for finally getting a record deal, gets sycophantic dog on a chain "journalist" to bitch online about said deal.

"non-artist":none of the above.

Absolutely. Again, on YouTube this video, which I've never, ever heard of until searching for stats just now, has 19 million views on YouTube and was uploaded only 2 days ago.

Rebels was released onto YouTube over a month ago, and still only has 15k views. Why would any label bother with someone who has such little reach? No amount of expensive promotion and marketing will be worth it.

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom