Funny sounds in TYWTML...

...4 seconds into the song you can hear someone making some funny sounds that sort of sound like, "Bomp bop bo bomp..."

Just thought this was a little funny.:D

I really love that touch.
The Smiths always managed and remembered to come up with a memorable openings for the songs, I persume they were either Johnny's or Stephen Street's ideas.
A tradition that sadly, slowly disappeared from Morrissey's solo work.
This is a return to form in that sense.

i wanted to point this out: you know the synth in the intro to how soon is now? doesn't it sound exactly like the background synth in disappointed?! that's been annoying the hell out of me, they sound so similar! if you've never noticed this, please listen to those two songs right now.:confused:

Denia said:
i wanted to point this out: you know the synth in the intro to how soon is now? doesn't it sound exactly like the background synth in disappointed?! that's been annoying the hell out of me, they sound so similar! if you've never noticed this, please listen to those two songs right now.:confused:

Well, it isn't a "synth" of course - but, yes, famously Disappointed does recall the famous How Soon Is Now? sound. At the time Street explained that he wrote it as a Fall-type thing at first, but Morrissey slowed it down. The reason it resembles How Soon ... is thematic and was much commented on at the time: the song is clearly about J Marr.

Orson Swells said:
Disappointed...is clearly about J Marr.

I have no idea whether it is or it's not (I suppose it could be), but what makes it so clear that it's about Marr?

I was watching Bod with my cousin and PC Copper makes the same sound! :D

Theo said:
I have no idea whether it is or it's not (I suppose it could be), but what makes it so clear that it's about Marr?

At the time it was "generally accepted" to be in the music press, mainly based on the similarities with How Soon Is Now. So, I'll give it a quick lit crit from memory: basically it's about Morrissey being "Disappointed" at Marr quitting/splitting The Smiths. "Young boy I wanna help you" - Morrissey usually refers to Marr in songs as the "boy" because he was so young when in The Smiths. "Our unsleepable friend gets the message" - Marr hardly ever slept in The Smiths! And quite oddly an early Electronic single was called Get The Message. "Drank too much And I said too much And there's nowhere to go - but down" - is supposed to refer to the Morrissey/Marr meeting at Moz's flat when Marr told him he was leaving. And after the Smiths, there was nowhere to do but down artistically... "Each bud must blossom and grow" refers to Marr outside of The Smiths, but of course he didn't exactly blossom and grow musically, did he. Oddly the word "bud" also echoes "Billy Budd" another key song about Marr. Also the song is written as if Marr is reading the lyric: "See these lines?: truly disappointed..." and refers to Morrissey as a singer: "This is the last song I'll ever sing..." an unusually post-modern technique for Moz.

I may be misquoting a bit, but that is the gist, I think.

Back
Top Bottom