Here is Morrissey song guide for all admirers/newcomers of music

The wording is misleading.

Yes, the police visited Morrissey-- politely, as far as that goes. They questioned him and left. Morrissey described it as a kind of baffling non-event. It was probably a routine investigation into, y'know, what amounts to a death threat against a head of state. I doubt Maggie ever knew the song existed.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'd like to think she has heard it :D.

Firstly I have to say - dreamchild, your satire was superb, I thouroughly enjoyed reading your posts.

On another note, I too thought it was widely publicised that Margaret on the Guillotine was about Thatcher.

I also heard that it was supposed to be the final track on The Queen Is Dead album, but was replaced at the last minute with Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

Don't know if that's true though?

Morrissey - Vauxhall and I (1993)

If any curious soul should be lured to the beauty of Morrissey's voice, and allow themselves to choke freely on their own thoughts whilst choking their cassette tape in deck to rewind what he just said - that's factual -, the chances are that it's going to be Vauxhall and I.

Vauxhall and I is the most perfect, no no, in fact, it's not even 'perfect', it's the greatest album ever written whether it be lyrically or musically.

This is not your country - this is my absolute all time favourite morrissey epic, it details his quest in the demon world to meet the demon maladjusted, we get a nightmarish description of the demon realm - a hellish placed filled with "barbed wire" "grafitti scrawls" "armoured cars" and "fire" . the title refers to the fact that he is in the demon world, its literally "not your country" as its not on planet earth anymore, but somewhere else . He has trouble breathing the sulphuric atmosphere "I need some air" and gets shot at when he wanders too near a post box. The chorus is superb as it deals with morrisseys dislike of paying the tv liscence fee "BBC scum". he admits he is scared and has to run everywhere "a short walk becomes a run". He finally makes it though this nightmare zone safely but loses some of his sanity as he begins to talk to himself loudly - "youve got more than the dead so zip up your mouth" this is a conversation he is having with himself to reassure himself he is still okay and alive, also he halucinates and sees "survailance globes" and "british soldiers" everywhere. listen to the otherworldy strings and plinky plonks in this song, these are acctually magic wards put into place to stop the tune being sucked into the demon worlds "lyric vortexes", for other songs that get pulled into this mental 5th dimension please see Oasis's song "Married With Children" fast forward to 2.29 and you will hear Liam Gallagher get pulled into this twilight zone (when his voice changes he is gone). Anyway this is the all time Morrissey epic, such a shame that it was hidden away for many years but Morrissey had to make the world safe before we were ready for its power, Awseome musicianship, stellar heartfelt singing and a kickass chorus - 10/10

I think a previous thread came to the conclusion that this song was about Northern Ireland, with Moz being sympathetic to the catholic community. Certainly the line "30 years could be a thousand" fits that theory, as the track came out roughly 30 years after the start of the present troubles.

Re: Here is a Morrissey song guide for all admirers/newcomers of music

I listened to "My Early Burglary Years" for the first time in ages yesterday, its all b-sides and unrealesed "children" Morrissey couldn't find a home for, orphan songs, I like to think of it now as the "Tracy Beaker" album. Note Morrisey has a habit of putting out these compilations and its a good thing to as they all contain many hidden gems, sapphires and rubies for us to enjoy listening to instead of rotting in his song journals. Why does he do this by the way?? so many great songs never got a proper place on the "big" albums, its odd and annoying. I think its because he has that odd personailty trait that makes people hide the things they are very good at, so he hides all his very best stuff on his "secret" albums like this one and only the best fans find it and are rewarded, almost like a points scheme.

A big thing to remember here is books like Mozipedia have reduced everyone to narrowly accepting the "true" meanings of the songs but we shouldnt do this as his songs can mean so many things.

MY EARLY BURGLARY YEARS

On the front cover he is standing looking over the river styx, waiting for Charon the ferryman (while he waited he put this album together) and is coloured in grey, note the type font of the title is similar to that of the film "trainspotting" and is also orange in colour. We all know morrissey likes criminals and "bad boys" this is where he gets the title from as well as the "trainspotting" homage. Fun bit of trivia - every song on this album deals with a crime....

Sunny - Nice little opener about worshiping the sun as a god, "We're really missing you, and you've only just gone" - this part refers to the setting of the sun, night has just fallen the sun has gone away and Morrissey is upset he is "missing" the sun. "My heart goes out to you" - giving the sun his heart metaphorically, just saying how much he loves the sun. "I offered love and it was not required oh what else can I do?" - this refers to sacrafices Morrissey is making to the sun. "So Sunny send at least one thoughtfull letter" - here he is asking the sun for a blessing, good harvest etc. "Needle pressed on to tight skin" - many primitive cultures that worship the sun practice a form of tribal tattooing using needles. Note the chanting at the end. good little song - 7/10 Crime - human sacrafice

At Amber (A.K.A "the bed took fire") - Awesome song, why was this hidden away? , this song is about moving too fast, it openes up with a robot voice clearly saying "WHOAH" meaning stop, at amber means he is at the yellow traffic lights meaning go if no one is crossing but wait if someone is. The stroy has Morrissey phonging a pal from the "sands hotel" which seems to moonlight as a brothel "men and women aquainted quite well", full of drunks and also he has a cold room so he dosent think he should pay. He has an argument with his pal on the phone but he phones him again. The hotel also has a big ectoplasm problem "the slime and the grime gel" he should call the ghostbusters not his disabled pal. Room still cold, complains again. On second listending this song is about poor hotels and bad service. Nice track - 8/10 Crime - prostitution

Cosmic Dancer - cover of T - rex song, has obnoxious screaming in it, was this a live version or is that screaming dubbed in? it sounds a little odd. 5/10 (no crime here, cover song)

Nobody Loves Us - Yet another classic that was left to rot until it saw light here and on the reissue of southpaw grammar. Note that this is a prime example of morrissey's use of "jangle" sounds, if you could physically see his music notes here they would be glittery. This song deals with the unemployed "Loafing Oafs" from "now my heart is full" and its just about how they spend their days on the rare occasions when that chemists is acctually shut. They like to eat cake and complain that nobody loves them because they are unshaven and are dab hands at trouble, they still live with their mums and get her to make them jam and give them kisses. An utter classic - 10/10 Crime - vagrancy

A swallow on my neck - opens with morrissey getting a glass of fizzy pop then has jangly bits and morrissey sings - complains of being betean up from undertakers for telling boring stories, he complains he is just a simple guy until some prankster tatooes a swallow on his neck for a laugh, gets attacked again and it turns out he dosent mind this one bit - very confusing plot here but I like this its another great one one, 9/10 Crime - Assault

Sister I'm A Poet - Morrissey is out for a walk on a windy day and morrissey can see under peoples clothes because of the gusty wind, he walks past the prison and phones his sister up and brags about being a popstar (poet), a nice track 7/10 Crime - peeping tom

Black- Eyed Susan - opens with a short drum part (not nearly as bad as "the operation" 2 minute plus madness) and then Morrissey tells us about how he is worried about his friend called Susan who is possibbly a victim of domestic abuse, has a slow part in the middle that just goes on and on. Dont rate it very highly - 5/10 Crime - domestic abuse

Michael's Bones - this is about a murder of a young boy called Michael, its arguably Morrissey's most serious and sombre song. Crime - murder

I'd Love to - slow opening that sounds like wind chimes and beads blowing in the wind, has morrissey crying in bed because he'd love to do something but he cant, complains that time will kill him and has a good big mope, slow moving song, picks up steam near the end - Morrissey says he has just had enough and is going to kill himself before he dies of old age. Drug uses - "lay awake in a trance" .Note the end part has water and wind chime/bead noises, this represents Morrissey's journey down the river Styx. Not bad - 6/10 crime - suicide/drug use

Reader Meet Author - rocking opening, cool guitars that jangle - This song is about an author just making things up - "you dont know a thing about their lives", the readers of the authors work get fed up with his poor fact checking and decide to kill him by drowning him the sea, the author's fate is left ambiguos by morrissey - "have you ever escaped from a shipwrecked life?", very strong song here - 8/10 Crime - plagarism/attempted murder.

Pashernate Love - cool sounding opening, I assume the place where they printed the song names on the back of the album made a mistake cause it should say "passionate", this song has morrissey being really jealous of everyone in love because he cant fall in love so he uses his magic powers to make his sisters face "errupt in blisters and boils" and bring his gran back from the dead, keeps looking for love but cant find it - eventually it turns out this song is a dream and he wakes up at the end, the music being dreamlike at the end signifies this. a strong song - 8/10 crime - witchcraft

Girl Least Likely to - good music - about a girl who dosent like to do things, she is lazy and wont help people she is also rude to morrissey when he says "well done to her", she wrights loads of nasty letters to people in her books. not bad but not great - 6/10 crime - poison pen letters.

Jack the ripper - beastly guitar opening that sounds like a musical helicopter coming to tack you away and thats what it does! the helicopter is an apache gunship and it flies around with you at the cockpit and morrissey at the guns and he blasts everyone away with this awesome song! this is about Jack the ripper skulking around murdering people, best guitars of his songs, slidy and jangly in equal measure. - 10/10 crime - serial killings

I've changed my plea to guilty - this is a follow up to "jack the ripper" where he has been caught by the police and is in the courtroom and admits he has been a wee bit naughty and they hang him, nice piano work here - 8/10

The Boy racer - about a chav racing around in his souped up car who morrissey hates but he is a bit jealous of because he is a nice chav with girlfriends and money - decent 7/10 crime - speeding

Boxers - cool jangly opening, a song about a boxer losing but he has been paid to lose because it is a rigged fight but he still feels really bad about this because his wife and his nephew came to see him in his home town, morrissey really likes boxing for some reason, a nice gentle song despite being about violence - 8/10 crime organised violence.

In conclusin MY EARLY BURGLARY YEARS is a great album with many hidden treats on it - MUST OWN 9/10

hmmmm

I'm sorry for being a pedant, 'My Early Burglary Years' is a compilation album.

Re: Here is a Morrissey song guide for all admirers/newcomers of music

Sister I'm A Poet - Morrissey is out for a walk on a windy day and morrissey can see under peoples clothes because of the gusty wind, he walks past the prison and phones his sister up and brags about being a popstar (poet), a nice track 7/10 Crime - peeping tom

No, he was dreaming of the day that they would have a controversial body scanner at Manchester Airport. Now his dream has finally come true, he wants to be one of the security guys who can now see through everybody's clothes.

Firstly I have to say - dreamchild, your satire was superb, I thouroughly enjoyed reading your posts.

Cabanel_AlexandreXXNymph_and_Satyr.jpg

How come when he does it it's a satire and when I do it I'm just looney? :mad::p

EQUALITY IN THE WORKPLACE!!!!!

Re: hmmmm

I listened to "My Early Burglary Years" for the first time in ages yesterday, its all b-sides and unrealesed "children" Morrissey couldn't find a home for, orphan songs, I like to think of it now as the "Tracy Beaker" album. Note Morrisey has a habit of putting out these compilations and its a good thing to as they all contain many hidden gems, sapphires and rubies for us to enjoy listening to instead of rotting in his song journals.

I'm sorry for being a pedant, 'My Early Burglary Years' is a compilation album.

Being a pedant is no excuse for not reading even the first sentences.

When have I ever said you were a looney, my friend?

:confused:

Not you specifically, just seems to be a general concensus. I thought maybe this thread was ribbing me. :o I'm going through one of those everyone hates me phases. It'll pass. :p

Back
Top Bottom