How do you feel about Kill Uncle?

Kill Uncle is generally considered to be one of Morrissey's 'worst' solo albums.

While it's certainly not my favourite (Vauxhall and YOR share that place in my heart :)), I really do rather like it- the only criticism I have is the odd echoey-voice effect on some tracks. My personal favourites are 'Our Frank' 'There Is A Place In Hell For Me and My Friends' and 'Mute Witness', and there isn't a single song I actively dislike. Rather, there are a few I am simply ambivalent to.

How do you rate KU personally? Vote on the poll, it's public. :thumb:

Kill Uncle is generally considered to be one of Morrissey's 'worst' solo albums.

While it's certainly not my favourite (Vauxhall and YOR share that place in my heart :)), I really do rather like it- the only criticism I have is the odd echoey-voice effect on some tracks. My personal favourites are 'Our Frank' 'There Is A Place In Hell For Me and My Friends' and 'Mute Witness', and there isn't a single song I actively dislike. Rather, there are a few I am simply ambivalent to.

How do you rate KU personally? Vote on the poll, it's public. :thumb:

Why? Boring.

I really like the record. I wish he would play at least SOMETHING off of it. Strangely enough, I find myself listening to it more than Vauxhall and I, which is widely considered to be the best solo release.

I can't stand it, at all.But, to each their own.I may have liked it better if it had sounded more like how the songs came out live.Who knows.

I think that on balance I would consider it his weakest album - which is not to say that I don't like it. :)

What brings it down to that level is the absence of any really first-rate songs on it. Most of them are good enough to be worth owning, but the best of them (which to me would be Our Frank, King Leer, There is a place in hell and end of the family line) are merely good. A close competitor like "Southpaw Grammar" has Southpaw and Reader meet author, there is nothing remotely of that quality on Kill Uncle. And the airy and somewhat lethargic instrumentation/production does not make the best of the material, unlike another close competitor like "Ringleader" (which I find similar to it in the way that it lacks any really great songs). That trio of albums are in my opinion a good notch below the rest.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom